User Tag List

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under Bed Storage With Schwintek Slide - Stuff In The Gap

Tami and I learned a valuable lesson with our Schwintek slide under bed storage. Now for many days I have been searching for my hiking shoes that have disappeared, seemingly eaten by our RV, I could not find them anywhere. Now the explanation.

In the attached picture, where the red line is drawn, when you close the schwintek slide, a large floor gap is opened up between the upper floor and the boxed in storage compartment at the end of the bed. If anything falls down into the gap, with the slide closed, and then when you open the slide, stuff in that gap will get pinched and crushed between the upper floor and the storage box compartment side board.

Well Tami was cleaning out and rearraigning our under bed storage and just happen to see a shoelace sticking out where you see the red line in the picture. My hiking shoes had fallen down into the gap with the slide closed, and the next time when we opened the slide, they were crushed and ended up partially underneath the boxed in compartment. The outside board of the storage box was broken loose and partially bowed in. I had Tami put the schwintek slide partially in and then had to pry out my hiking shoes, they were really smashed and twisted up and partially under the boxed compartment.
    Now how the schwintek slide seemed to function normally is beyond me. The torque on those schwintek motors must be a lot to crush shoes and still fully open. Once I got the shoes out, I tried to temporally put the storage box side board back in place. I had Tami fully close the slide, then run the slide back out. Once we get better weather we'll clean out the storage box and I'll get in there and use screws to fix the compartment side board back in place. Good thing it wasn't an expensive lesson.

Check to make sure nothing is close to the floor gap, with the slide closed, that can fall down into the gap, and then get pinched crushed when slide is put back out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4119.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 12-26-2022 at 10:08 AM. Reason: additional
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting info.

With the 300:1, and in some cases 500:1 gear reduction units on the motors, it's not surprising the torque is as great as it is. I know the motors on the front jacks are not a lot larger in size than the Schwintek motors, and they lift a lot of weight on the front of the trailer.

With all the Schwintek issues, it's obvious that power is not one of them. The system would probably be great if the installation was made correctly at the factory and the motor to track interface was more substantial and serviceable.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    something similar happened to us recently but with the thru the frame slide. A round marrow bone went missing and we could not locate it. It showed up on opening the slide. The slide raised and moved in ways I never thought possible. The bone left several deep round depressions in the flooring �� Luckily there was no slide damage.

It still amazes me the slide operates
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/