Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Install - Considering a voltage regulator for DC system

Friends,
    I know there are many of you who have done your own solar and inverter installs. Have any of you seen damage from the high DC voltage associated with desulfation or Bulk charging? I have been considering a DC regulator to ensure that the 15.5v during desulfation or 14.5v during Bulk/Absorb charging doesn’t hurt any of my DC components.
    I have not scrubbed every single component manual to garner their upper voltage limit (fridge, furnace, etc.) on the DC power, but can see that there might be a concern.
    Anyone had any issues with the voltage as hi as 15.5? Anyone installed any solutions/have any recommendations which worked for you?
    I am considering 2 options; 1) a regulator to ensure the voltage never exceeds 14.0v and 2) a hard switch to cut off DC power to the rest of the system and prevent the voltage from every reaching the systems in my RV during these high voltage charge/desulfation cycles.

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and thanks for any observations/recommendations.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar Install - Considering a voltage regulator for DC system

Quote Originally Posted by JethroF16 View Post
    Friends,
    I know there are many of you who have done your own solar and inverter installs. Have any of you seen damage from the high DC voltage associated with desulfation or Bulk charging? I have been considering a DC regulator to ensure that the 15.5v during desulfation or 14.5v during Bulk/Absorb charging doesn’t hurt any of my DC components.
    I have not scrubbed every single component manual to garner their upper voltage limit (fridge, furnace, etc.) on the DC power, but can see that there might be a concern.
    Anyone had any issues with the voltage as hi as 15.5? Anyone installed any solutions/have any recommendations which worked for you?
    I am considering 2 options; 1) a regulator to ensure the voltage never exceeds 14.0v and 2) a hard switch to cut off DC power to the rest of the system and prevent the voltage from every reaching the systems in my RV during these high voltage charge/desulfation cycles.

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and thanks for any observations/recommendations.
    First, I see you are new here, so welcome!

To the question on hand regarding a DC regulator…

You should not need any type of regulator for your solar system if you have a Solar Charge Controller. That is the device that regulates the power from your solar panels into your battery or dc loads. Not sure what your current or anticipated setup is, but all solar systems need a charge controller. Even the portable panels have them built into the back of the panel.

For example, if you have say. 400 watt solar system you need to get a controller that can handle the potential voltage and amperage delivered by those panels. Those panels can be configured in several different configurations that may vary those inputs (parallel or serially configured panel strings, which is a method of connecting them together to optimize the output to the system)

Could you provide us with a bit more information on your setup or potential future setup so we can be more specific.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 12-27-2022 at 11:29 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill,
    I understand all that. I have a Tristar Charge Controller and a Magnum Inverter. My concern is the voltage which is applied during the desulfation step, or anything over 14.5v really. The batteries are fine with the charging profile, my concern is the RV components downstream from the batteries while those voltages are being applied to the DC “bus” if you will. As an example: when I am plugged into shore power, and doing a desulfation charge on the batteries, the profile for my batteries calls for 15.5v (Crown 6v Batteries). While that cycle is running, the rest of my DC components in teh RV will see that voltage as well, if I’m using them. I want to protect those, via limiter or regulator…….I think. That’s what I’m seeking some experienced opinion on. Many thanks for your response!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bill,
    I understand all that. I have a Tristar Charge Controller and a Magnum Inverter. My concern is the voltage which is applied during the desulfation step, or anything over 14.5v really. The batteries are fine with the charging profile, my concern is the RV components downstream from the batteries while those voltages are being applied to the DC “bus” if you will. As an example: when I am plugged into shore power, and doing a desulfation charge on the batteries, the profile for my batteries calls for 15.5v (Crown 6v Batteries). While that cycle is running, the rest of my DC components in teh RV will see that voltage as well, if I’m using them. I want to protect those, via limiter or regulator…….I think. That’s what I’m seeking some experienced opinion on. Many thanks for your response!
    Which device are you concerned about? I'm not sure what you mean by a "desulfation step". What type of batteries do you have? My understanding is that "desulfation" is only required for lead-acid batteries. I've seen desulfation listed as an option on stand-alone battery chargers, but in the Tristar manual, there is no mention of this step. And regardless, the charge controller is only connected to the battery, it shouldn't affect your components in the coach. What do you have for a charger/controller that works with shore power? That would be powering your components when on shore power.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Friends,

I get what you mean. If the charge profile is taking the battery to 15.5V, then everything tied to the DC system will be seeing that voltage. The two options you listed seem like logical solutions and neither option could hurt anything. That said, I have never heard of anyone doing either of those things or having any problem with DC appliances failing due to high voltage during a charging / desulfation cycle.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of anyone doing this. Logical question though. Never had any problems with our motorhomes or various travel trailers over the past 30 years. Same goes for the various boats I've had that encounter the same situation. Never had any issues with any electronics ever. Do it if it makes you feel better, otherwise, do as 99.99% of others do related to this topic- nothing. That will free up time to conjure up something else to tinker with.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Friends,

Its just not needed. The charge voltage from your TV when traveling can be even higher. 15.5 or even 16V is well within typical 12v system voltages. I would not worry unless you see over 20V. You can find more detailed electrical information on the GD Technical Forum that is on the Main GDRV web page under customer support too.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replys here gents. I appreciate what you say, that 99.9% of the folks out there don’t do anything and have no issues. Actually a very good perspective. Pressing forward with the project! Thanks again.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Its just not needed. The charge voltage from your TV when traveling can be even higher. 15.5 or even 16V is well within typical 12v system voltages. I would not worry unless you see over 20V.
    ^^This^^
    12vdc items are tolerant to at least 20v and often up to 30-34.
    Ive never come across a factory installed converter that even has a restore function so most owners will probably be unaware of a desulphation mode. I've always done mine on a bench - the higher voltage can sometimes make a battery 'weep' electrolyte.
    I've only done two or three and the battery life really didn't come back all that well.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 01-25-2023 at 05:06 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your replys here gents. I appreciate what you say, that 99.9% of the folks out there don’t do anything and have no issues. Actually a very good perspective. Pressing forward with the project! Thanks again.
    Let us know how you make out.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast