User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michelin LTX is a good tire. Crappy as an AT tire though.
    I've used Hankook RF10 AT tires and Toyo Open Country AT3 tires. Both have been good towing while still giving me the all terrain grip I need in the bush. Toyo's are wearing faster than the Hankook did.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 12-30-2022 at 08:59 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 35-12.5 Nitto G2 and very pleased with the off road traction and the way they are wearing, they are quiet too. Looks like they are being phases out and replaced by the recon grappler though.
    The Michelins that came on the truck had no business off pavement in my opinion.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My OEMs were Continentals which were absolute garbage. I barely got 25K out of them without towing. I am now on my second set of Michelin Defender LTX and I have been absolutely thrilled with them. As long as I am towing I will stick with these tires.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People's preference of tire is all going to depend on whether the truck stays on the paved roads or not and whether it's a straight axle truck like a Ford or Dodge vice a GM. All those data points contribute to different tire choices and different types of tire wear.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooper's?

Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Do you want a high mileage tire or good traction?

Run on all concrete/black top roads or need some traction for grass and dirt?

You can find plenty of high mileage all highway tires for trucks, but the better traction, the less lifetime you'll get.

Personally, 30,000 miles out of a good all terrain tire that hauls heavy loads (like a 250/2500 or 350/3500 series) and I'm happy.

I just replaced Nitto Ridge Grapplers with Goodyear Duratrac's this year. I have 43,000 on my truck and on my 3rd set of tires.
    May I suggest some Cooper Discoverer AT3's? I ran my first set about 60,000 miles and they were still at 5/32. On my second set now with about 20,000 on them and barely worn. My truck pretty much does not move unless it is pulling some kind of trailer, so most of those miles are towing. The Discoverer's have plenty of traction for snow/mud, yet offer a quiet highway ride for a HD truck tire.
    2012 F-250 6.7L Diesel, SRW
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I run Michelin LTXs (Defender LTX now). It’s a highway tire but yet to have a situation it wasn’t up to and it’s absolutely the best on-road truck tire. If I did serious off roading, it wouldn’t work. But for dirt roads and such, it works just fine.

I had a set of Continental TerrainContact tires on a previous truck. That’s a decent compromise so far as off road and on, I liked them, and they are reviewed well with good life. They also look more rugged if that matters to you.

The stated tire you’re looking at is great - but I would never own it unless I planned to really use it because it’s meant to go off-road as primary function. Seems a waste if it just drives on pavement all the time.
    Ditto the Michelins here. Put 50K on the last set, and that included a lot of towing. Replace the LTX with the Defender last month. Cost a little more, but I’ve got confidence in them - a known entity. They also ride better and more quietly than an all-terrain tire. Unless you use your tow vehicle for off-road a lot when not towing, I don’t see needing the all-terrain tread. Question: do you really want to tow your rig into locations where you actually need an all-terrain tire?
    Anyway - just my $.02 worth.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooper AT3

Quote Originally Posted by fsgarrett View Post
    May I suggest some Cooper Discoverer AT3's? I ran my first set about 60,000 miles and they were still at 5/32. On my second set now with about 20,000 on them and barely worn. My truck pretty much does not move unless it is pulling some kind of trailer, so most of those miles are towing. The Discoverer's have plenty of traction for snow/mud, yet offer a quiet highway ride for a HD truck tire.
    I also have Cooper AT3's on my Super Duty and agree with the above comments.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Michelin LTX is a good tire. Crappy as an AT tire though.
    I've used Hankook RF10 AT tires and Toyo Open Country AT3 tires. Both have been good towing while still giving me the all terrain grip I need in the bush. Toyo's are wearing faster than the Hankook did.
    I get about twice the mileage from Hankook as I did from Toyo. On my second set of Hankooks, over 100k on two sets combined. A bit better traction on wet pavement with the Toyos. Guess the softer rubber gets better traction but with that comes faster wear.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshhm View Post
    Ditto the Michelins here. Put 50K on the last set, and that included a lot of towing. Replace the LTX with the Defender last month. Cost a little more, but I’ve got confidence in them - a known entity. They also ride better and more quietly than an all-terrain tire. Unless you use your tow vehicle for off-road a lot when not towing, I don’t see needing the all-terrain tread. Question: do you really want to tow your rig into locations where you actually need an all-terrain tire?
    Anyway - just my $.02 worth.
    Yes, I do tow my campers into those off-road locations all the time. That's where we prefer to camp. I don't want to camp on pavement in areas like the Walmart parking lot. All our camping is off-grid and we get as far away from others as possible in very remote locations. I purchased a HD 4x4 truck with off-road suspension and AT tires for a reason and I use it. In addition, I use my truck through the winter snows here in CO when needed and highway tires would be useless to me all year round for my truck needs. Several of our camp sites that we frequent are located in muddy and wet locations. One even requires over 12 miles on forest service roads and other terrain that would just not be passable with highway tires. Once we leave the pavement to get into our camping spots....the terrain is not always known till we encounter it. I'd rather be prepared with the tires and truck I need rather than to get a big rig stuck. It all goes back to what I have said multiple times----camping is different for each person. Some want to plug in at camp grounds....others want to be off the grid! Each type of camping generates different requirements for the equipment!
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Yes, I do tow my campers into those off-road locations all the time. That's where we prefer to camp. I don't want to camp on pavement in areas like the Walmart parking lot. All our camping is off-grid and we get as far away from others as possible in very remote locations. I purchased a HD 4x4 truck with off-road suspension and AT tires for a reason and I use it. In addition, I use my truck through the winter snows here in CO when needed and highway tires would be useless to me all year round for my truck needs. Several of our camp sites that we frequent are located in muddy and wet locations. One even requires over 12 miles on forest service roads and other terrain that would just not be passable with highway tires. Once we leave the pavement to get into our camping spots....the terrain is not always known till we encounter it. I'd rather be prepared with the tires and truck I need rather than to get a big rig stuck. It all goes back to what I have said multiple times----camping is different for each person. Some want to plug in at camp grounds....others want to be off the grid! Each type of camping generates different requirements for the equipment!
    This is exactly why I have the Goodrich A/T KO2 now. I have Hankooks OEM, and got really stuck several times, as well as poor wear.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast