User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow vehicle tires

What you running ?
    I have stock goodyears been good just wearing out fast .
    Only 24k and they may last another 10k be about it .
    Like a all terrain we boondock never now what you may run into.
    Looking at the K2o's kinda pricey only a 50k tire some say they don't last that long even .
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want a high mileage tire or good traction?

Run on all concrete/black top roads or need some traction for grass and dirt?

You can find plenty of high mileage all highway tires for trucks, but the better traction, the less lifetime you'll get.

Personally, 30,000 miles out of a good all terrain tire that hauls heavy loads (like a 250/2500 or 350/3500 series) and I'm happy.

I just replaced Nitto Ridge Grapplers with Goodyear Duratrac's this year. I have 43,000 on my truck and on my 3rd set of tires.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run Michelin LTXs (Defender LTX now). It’s a highway tire but yet to have a situation it wasn’t up to and it’s absolutely the best on-road truck tire. If I did serious off roading, it wouldn’t work. But for dirt roads and such, it works just fine.

I had a set of Continental TerrainContact tires on a previous truck. That’s a decent compromise so far as off road and on, I liked them, and they are reviewed well with good life. They also look more rugged if that matters to you.

The stated tire you’re looking at is great - but I would never own it unless I planned to really use it because it’s meant to go off-road as primary function. Seems a waste if it just drives on pavement all the time.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I run Michelin LTXs (Defender LTX now). It’s a highway tire but yet to have a situation it wasn’t up to and it’s absolutely the best on-road truck tire. If I did serious off roading, it wouldn’t work. But for dirt roads and such, it works just fine.

I had a set of Continental TerrainContact tires on a previous truck. That’s a decent compromise so far as off road and on, I liked them, and they are reviewed well with good life. They also look more rugged if that matters to you.

The stated tire you’re looking at is great - but I would never own it unless I planned to really use it because it’s meant to go off-road as primary function. Seems a waste if it just drives on pavement all the time.
    Same here, just replaced Michelin LTX's with 65k miles and not down to the wear bars. If I can get close to that with the new Defender LTX I'll be happy. I have a CJ5 if I get the urge to go off road.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put on some Nexen Roadian AT PRO RA8 LR-E tires on my truck this spring and they've been fantastic. They were quite a bit cheaper than the alternatives and have a good combination of quiet ride, handling, and meaty tread.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our tow rig, we opted for the HANKOOK DYNAPRO AT2 RF11. They are a 10 ply belted LT tire with a 60k warranty. Reasonably priced LT tire thats great for towing. Made a big difference over our OEM tires that came with our truck.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my old truck I had the Duratrac. Nice off-road and all around tire. Also great in snow but not so on ice (like all off-road). Noisy on paved highway though.
    I just replaced the stock Goodyear on my newer truck with Micheline Defenders. Real quiet. So far so good but its not an off-road type of tire. Went hunting with them on and didn't run into any issues of rough back roads.
    Hopefully they'll last longer as advertise.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Do you want a high mileage tire or good traction?

Run on all concrete/black top roads or need some traction for grass and dirt?

You can find plenty of high mileage all highway tires for trucks, but the better traction, the less lifetime you'll get.

Personally, 30,000 miles out of a good all terrain tire that hauls heavy loads (like a 250/2500 or 350/3500 series) and I'm happy.

I just replaced Nitto Ridge Grapplers with Goodyear Duratrac's this year. I have 43,000 on my truck and on my 3rd set of tires.
    Steve---couldn't agree more with everything you said. You gotta know the use case and requirements before tire suggestions can be made. Even though my trucks are mostly on-road, we camp allot off the grid in the summer and I need the mud and snow cleats to push and pull the camper through unpaved areas. I've tried the highway tires like the LTX and such and they are just not aggressive enough for my use. I have had great luck with the Nittos that you mentioned and even tried the Duratracs too but traded my last truck off before I could track the mileage and replacement. My new GMC has the factory tires on it and they are not aggressive enough for me but I will use them up before replacing. Rotation and proper tire pressure are key to making the tires last as long as possible.... especially if you get the more aggressive ones...IMHO.

Dave
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From everything I have read, the Michelin Defenders are the best for on road towing. Consistent high ratings, and positive comments. I currently have the Cooper Discoverer AT/3, and they are impressive for the limited off road I do, in the rain, and they have a stiffer sidewall than most of the other all terrain, which helps with a heavy load. Saying that, they are a b*tch to balance, keep in balance, and most likely the last ones for me. I tried the Faulken Wildpeaks, and they were good off road, had a softer ride than the Coopers, but with that softer ride, I could feel a lot more side to side movement with them in turns with a heavy load.

Although a little more expensive, next set I will try the Goodyear Duratrecs.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I run Michelin LTXs (Defender LTX now). It’s a highway tire but yet to have a situation it wasn’t up to and it’s absolutely the best on-road truck tire. If I did serious off roading, it wouldn’t work. But for dirt roads and such, it works just fine..
    I have them too. They are great on the road and decent on snow, mud and dirt. But they are not made for rocky trails, where I've had two punctures.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast