User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Polar Vortex--Did you stay in it?

I was in northern Colorado for the recent polar vortex we had where the temperatures went negative. Fortunately my rig is skirted, though due to the extreme winds here I've had to abandon the EZ Snap on the front and back of the rig, opting instead for wood in those places. We're full time and opted to stay. So I thought I'd share a snapshot of my personal weather station from last week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weather Station.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	44257

As you see we got to experience -18F--the lowest I recorded was -19.5 (our personal weather station) or -23 (from our truck's thermometer). The furnace and fireplace couldn't keep up. To hold 68 throughout while keeping the water lines thawed, we supplemented with a quartz heater instead of the fireplace, and set the furnace to 68. When the furnace ran constant that morning, I turned the fireplace on low to take some strain off of it before heading to work. It still ran intermittently but during the day, even with the preparations I'd made underneath last summer, the kitchen lines froze--bathroom still worked until the heat traced park lines froze. I thawed those with a space heater in the water hut the park provided.

Anyway I'm quite curious how everyone else made out in this. If you're full time did you stay or get a hotel, and how low did the temps go?
    Last edited by chemist308; 12-29-2022 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know where in northern Colorado you are, but we've been in Colorado skiing many times, and those temperatures are certainly not that unusual, IME anyway. OTOH I'd not want to be in a trailer in those temperatures.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S