User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drain the oil in my generator for the winter? Really?

A friend of mine tells me I need to drain the oil out of my generator for the winter. Says it might freeze and crack the motor. It only gets down to 15 degrees, maybe 10 here in the winter (southern Oregon).
    Is he right?
    I suppose I should change it every year (or more often?) anyway. But I just don't put that many hours on it in a season of RVing.
    What say you all?
    Thanks,
    ​​​​​​​SJ

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drain the oil in my generator for the winter? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by how01e View Post
    A friend of mine tells me I need to drain the oil out of my generator for the winter. Says it might freeze and crack the motor. It only gets down to 15 degrees, maybe 10 here in the winter (southern Oregon).
    Is he right?
    I suppose I should change it every year (or more often?) anyway. But I just don't put that many hours on it in a season of RVing.
    What say you all?
    Thanks,
    ​​​​​​​SJ
    I had an Onan Marquis Gold 5500 for 14 years. Never drained the oil. On edit: Never drained the oil due to temperature.

I was a gas generator, so I did run Stabil and operate the generator with a load about every 6 weeks.

Current generator is a Yamaha 3k and it has been sitting in a shed since October. Ran it once in November.

I think you are ok to not drain the oil.

Bill
    Last edited by Redapple63; 12-29-2022 at 01:50 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely the most ridiculous thing I've read today.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can oil freeze? According to my brief research, the answer is yes, but would have to get very, very cold. So I think you're OK with not draining the oil.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure am glad that is not true. If it were, think of how many people would forget to put oil back in it!
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your friend must be thinking of something else. Motor oil will certainly thicken and could even gel at the most extreme cold temperatures that can occur in nature, but regardless will never expand like water does. My routine for off season generator storage is to change the oil so that it sits over winter with clean oil and then drain as much fuel out as possible. Then I start it and let it run until the fuel goes dry and it quits. This circulates the clean oil and gets all of the fuel out of the system that would otherwise go stale from prolonged disuse and also makes it safe to store in my basement. I store it indoors not because I am worried about it freezing but because it is clean and dry and somewhat warm and ready to start in case I need to press it into emergency service for a power failure.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no need to drain the oil form a motor for storage, millions of engines spend the winter in extremely cold temperatures with no problems from the oil.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say your friend should probably drain his blinker fluid to be safe. We had the Onan in our 399 in Idaho and frequently had 0F days, no issues with the generator and no, I didn't drain the oil.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are so many great topics with gray areas that allow for some interesting points of view, but this is not one of them. I mean, if that were true, there'd be no vehicles sitting outside between November and March anywhere north of the 41st parallel. That's a lot of vehicles. How do all those snowmobiles sit outside overnight in Tuktoyaktuk? Your friend needs a new source for information. I jest. But true.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I sure am glad that is not true. If it were, think of how many people would forget to put oil back in it!
    Or, on the flip side, drain the oil from their vehicles as well. It's an engine, just like a generator.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast