User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maine trip planning

Over the holidays my DW informed me that this years long trip would be to Maine from Central Texas. After the initial Oh S*&&t reaction I started looking at how in the world to get there. I thought that I'd throw this out there to the Grand Design world to see if anyone had any driving tips, places to stay, things to do, or reasons not to go!

Last year we went from Central Texas to Memphis, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and ended up in Mackinaw City. On the way back to Texas we went to Ohio and Kentucky and through Tennessee and Arkansas (couldn't stop in Tennessee and Arkansas due to hurricane Ian).

I know we want to go back to Memphis (Beale Street and Rock and Soul Museum) then to Knoxville and Pigeon Forge area (Great Smoky Mountains). After that we're clueless. We know that we'll be close to Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire before we get to Maine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Les, Maine is awesome. Look up Searsport and a campground Moorings II, one of many on the ocean!! Great place for day trips to Acadia and more. Best way to get there is through West Virginia... for you then PA and across the tapanzee. Avoid New York's tunnels. Anyway 84 in CT to Mass 90 to 495 will bring you up there. You need to get an EZPass that works for the northeast. We have the E-Pass from Central Florida. It does the whole northeast and more and allows your rig and tow vehicle all in one pass. No separate passes. I can send more info of the northern states if you want.

Scott

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    Over the holidays my DW informed me that this years long trip would be to Maine from Central Texas. After the initial Oh S*&&t reaction I started looking at how in the world to get there. I thought that I'd throw this out there to the Grand Design world to see if anyone had any driving tips, places to stay, things to do, or reasons not to go!

Last year we went from Central Texas to Memphis, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and ended up in Mackinaw City. On the way back to Texas we went to Ohio and Kentucky and through Tennessee and Arkansas (couldn't stop in Tennessee and Arkansas due to hurricane Ian).

I know we want to go back to Memphis (Beale Street and Rock and Soul Museum) then to Knoxville and Pigeon Forge area (Great Smoky Mountains). After that we're clueless. We know that we'll be close to Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire before we get to Maine.

We use RV Trip Wizard to plan all of our trips.

Open Roads (the guys who bring you the TSD fuel card for RVers) also has a toll pass transponder (s) that works with all connected toll roads across the US. There is information on their website.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where you go and what you see depends on what you like to do and how much time you have to do it. Football Hall of Fame, Canton OH, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Niagara falls, Baseball Hall of Fame Cooperstown NY, Lake Placid with the Olympic venues, Whiteface Mountain, Mount Washington in Vermont, the Bay of Fundy with the it’s huge tides, Bar Harbor and Acadia are for sure stops, LL Bean in Freeport Maine, the Maine Maritime Museum, Boston MA has Revolutionary war historic sites, Cape Cod. Washington DC could take a week to see all of the sights.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Heather View Post
    Les, Maine is awesome. Look up Searsport and a campground Moorings II, one of many on the ocean!! Great place for day trips to Acadia and more. Best way to get there is through West Virginia... for you then PA and across the tapanzee. Avoid New York's tunnels. Anyway 84 in CT to Mass 90 to 495 will bring you up there. You need to get an EZPass that works for the northeast. We have the E-Pass from Central Florida. It does the whole northeast and more and allows your rig and tow vehicle all in one pass. No separate passes. I can send more info of the northern states if you want.

Scott
    Thanks Scott,

Any information on routes and things to do would be appreciated. Another post pointed out that Open Roads offers a toll transponder for all the toll roads in the Northeast so that gives us another option for toll roads, but any information on how to get the EZPass would be helpful.

Appreciate the prompt response. We will not be leaving until September 2023, but I've found that it's better to try to plan months in advance for a trip like this.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Maine is great state to visit. If I were you I'd avoid taking 95 north or south thru New York City. My advice is to take 91 north and cross the Hudson River at Newburgh or over the Mario Cuomo bridge, then take 84 east thru CT to 91 and head north. Trust me driving through NYC on Rte 95 is a beast. I live on Long Island and have to do it at times, but I try to avoid it whenever possible. It once took us 4 hours to get from the Throgs Neck bridge to the George Washington Bridge (about 12 miles) with the trailer in tow and there wasn't any accident or costruction, it was just traffic! Also, don't get on any road called a "Parkway" in NY, NJ and CT. These roads are for cars only and have very low bridges. You can PM me if you'd like to get more specifics.

Lastly, Happy New Year!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Scott,

Any information on routes and things to do would be appreciated. Another post pointed out that Open Roads offers a toll transponder for all the toll roads in the Northeast so that gives us another option for toll roads, but any information on how to get the EZPass would be helpful.

Appreciate the prompt response. We will not be leaving until September 2023, but I've found that it's better to try to plan months in advance for a trip like this.
    As others have said, avoid I95 through NYC. I84 is a good option instead, or pick up the New York State Thruway near Buffalo from further west. That will bring you to the MassPike. Acadia is the one must-see in Maine, be aware that you'll need reservations for many of the attractions there. You'll be visiting in late September or October, many RV parks close after Columbus Day so plan ahead. And be prepared for chilly nights in New England at that time of year.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @Soundsailor. Acadia is a must. We went to Maine for the first time last September and absolutely love it. We spent only 4 days in Acadia and could of spent more time there. Just beautiful and so was all of the lobster feast that we had. We also really liked Portland.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add my vote to Acadia National Park - and almost the entire coast of Maine. When heading to New England, we like to head up through Pennsylvania (normally through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area) to hit I-84 and cross the Hudson at Newburgh north of the city. We've also taken an even more northern route on I-88 and through Albany - taking a bunch of back roads through NY, NH and ME. Our first time up there, we booked a week at the Bar Harbor Campground and ended up staying two weeks we liked the area so much. Gorgeous!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been to Acadia, from New Jersey, many times. Trailer or not, we truly dislike the entire Hwy 84 thru Connecticut. There are always a zillion orange cones, road damage and too much traffic volume. With that said, the route I would take starting from WEST side of Virginia which is Interstate 81. Take 81 North to Harrisburg, PA where it becomes Interstate 78 east. Stay on 78 east till you get to Interstate 287 north. Stay on 287 north till you get to Mahwah NJ and turn east onto NY State highway 278. Follow this east till you cross Mario Cuomo bridge (renamed from Tappan Zee bridge) then work your way up to Interstate 84 east in Connecticut. Note: When on 78 east, you will cross the Delaware River into New Jersey. 4 or so miles up is a truck stop. STOP HERE !!! Once you pass that stop, there are very few options for big rig gas/service all the way to eastern Connecticut.

2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast