User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for I84 even though there is construction in CT between Danbury and Hartford on and off (Waterbury is the worst area). We travel via 81 in VA to 78/22/33 in PA then on 209 up to 84 on our trips between New England and North Carolina. The 81 bridge over the Suquehanna is under construction as of Nov. US22 in PA has been re-paved between Easton and Allentown - absolutely the smoothest highway I've been on. US209 is a 35mph local route with zero traffic on the PA side of the Water Gap. There is a Pilot truck stop in Montague, NJ one exit on 84, another in Sturbridge, MA off 84, and two TAs in between west of NY and Hartford. Just came to/from NC that way in Nov and had no issues except for construction backup crossing the Susquehanna. There's a nice campground and Harvest Host location (Saucony Creek Brewery) in Kutztown, PA.

We took I40 from Knoxville to Winston Salem on our way back from South Dakota. Very close to Pigeon Forge. Stayed at a campground in Newport, TN which wasn't bad - also close to Pigeon Forge (forget DisneyWorld, Dollywood is on DW's bucket list now).
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I agree Maine is great state to visit. If I were you I'd avoid taking 95 north or south thru New York City. My advice is to take 91 north and cross the Hudson River at Newburgh or over the Mario Cuomo bridge, then take 84 east thru CT to 91 and head north. Trust me driving through NYC on Rte 95 is a beast. I live on Long Island and have to do it at times, but I try to avoid it whenever possible. It once took us 4 hours to get from the Throgs Neck bridge to the George Washington Bridge (about 12 miles) with the trailer in tow and there wasn't any accident or costruction, it was just traffic! Also, don't get on any road called a "Parkway" in NY, NJ and CT. These roads are for cars only and have very low bridges. You can PM me if you'd like to get more specifics.

Lastly, Happy New Year!
    We live in Maine and the directions/guidance above are pretty good. If you want to further avoid traffic, take I81 up to Scranton, PA, take I84 over to I87, I87 north to I90 east. Traffic in MA is often awful and there is no way around it. Once in Maine, and depending on how much time you want to spend in state, you can hit the Bush Compound in Kennebunkport, on to Portland which is a real foodie town, LL Bean in Freeport is a good stop, up to Boothbay Harbor which is a pleasant little tourist area. Acadia National Park is a must if you are that "close". At least drive Park Loop Road. We stay at Acadia Seashores Campground in Sullivan, ME, when we are playing in that part of the state. They are a little expensive, family owned, and very pleasant owners. Safe travels. Thanks for leaving a little of your money in Maine. Our local economies can use all the help they can get.
    Bret King
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali HD 4x4 crew cab, DRW, 6.6L Duramax/10 speed Allison
    2020 Solitude 310-GK (#19), Platinum paint scheme, B&W Companion 25K hitch
    Maine

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    Over the holidays my DW informed me that this years long trip would be to Maine from Central Texas. After the initial Oh S*&&t reaction I started looking at how in the world to get there. I thought that I'd throw this out there to the Grand Design world to see if anyone had any driving tips, places to stay, things to do, or reasons not to go!

Last year we went from Central Texas to Memphis, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and ended up in Mackinaw City. On the way back to Texas we went to Ohio and Kentucky and through Tennessee and Arkansas (couldn't stop in Tennessee and Arkansas due to hurricane Ian).

I know we want to go back to Memphis (Beale Street and Rock and Soul Museum) then to Knoxville and Pigeon Forge area (Great Smoky Mountains). After that we're clueless. We know that we'll be close to Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire before we get to Maine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    If you end up in eastern PA the Gettysburg National Park is nice. There are many campgrounds nearby and the guided tours are excellent.
    Tony & Mary
    2020 F350 DRW CC
    2018 Reflection 337

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband and I managed a campground near Bar Harbor for 3 years and fell in love with Maine. Unfortunately, almost everything closes down at the end of September. Be sure to catch a sunset at the top of Cadillac mountain-take your wine and cheese! If you’re hikers, there are wonderful trails all thru Acadia where you can look over the mountain and watch the lobster fisherman. Hopefully you’ll get to hear Thunder Hole roaring. If you’re not hikers, there’s a great carriage ride through the park. No matter what you do, you’ll probably become a fan of Maine as we are. Have a wonderful time, I’m jealous.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For easy pass go to Florida turnpike and register for an easy pass. Once you have that get a unique from Amazon and register it. The easy pass is tied to a vehicle.a uni can be used with any vehicle it mounts on the windshield. You do gave to log in a change the vehicle it is registered to. But that allows you to use it on multiple vehicles including rentals.
    2020 Solitude 310 GKR

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats Uni.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve not towed our rig to the Northeast yet, but that’s on the bucket list. We have visited Maine, and we want to go back ASAP. To reiterate - Acadia NP, Bah Hahbah, etc. Check out the town of Camden; we enjoyed our visit there. If you want to get a great lobster roll, you don’t have to go to the infamous Reds Eats (always busy, usually a line) in Wiscassett; Sprague’s is right across the street and is just as good. Also, for lobstah, check out Bailey’s Lobster Pound at Pine Point (near Scarborough); my DW still talks bout that one. Spend some time around Portland; very interesting town and great for foodies. If you’re going through Knoxville, consider either I-75, through Kentucky and Ohio, or I-81 through West Va. and Pennsylvania. Whatever you do, stay as far away from NYC traffic as you can, and bypassing CT is a good idea; we’ve found both areas to be parking lots. Happy trails!!!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is pretty late in the year to head to New England, that’s typically when I’m heading south

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check this route out

Quote Originally Posted by AustexGP View Post
    Over the holidays my DW informed me that this years long trip would be to Maine from Central Texas. After the initial Oh S*&&t reaction I started looking at how in the world to get there. I thought that I'd throw this out there to the Grand Design world to see if anyone had any driving tips, places to stay, things to do, or reasons not to go!

Last year we went from Central Texas to Memphis, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and ended up in Mackinaw City. On the way back to Texas we went to Ohio and Kentucky and through Tennessee and Arkansas (couldn't stop in Tennessee and Arkansas due to hurricane Ian).

I know we want to go back to Memphis (Beale Street and Rock and Soul Museum) then to Knoxville and Pigeon Forge area (Great Smoky Mountains). After that we're clueless. We know that we'll be close to Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire before we get to Maine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Might check this route out. From Texas drive to Natchez Ms and drive the parkway, it is a beautiful drive that goes from Natchez to Nashville. The historic trail is an easy drive. We stopped several times at historic places. We got off in Tupelo then to Memphis to do the Elvis stuff. Enjoy your trip!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the southwest to Maine your choices kind of suck. We used to live in VA and would make many trips up the coast to Maine, Mass, CT, RI, Vermont, PA, NH and NY. Towing a 31 foot travel trailer, I would stay as far from DC, MD, NJ, CT, and downstate NY as possible. You will get jammed on tolls and get stuck in traffic. Stay as far west (and avoid I-95 altogether if you can!) for as long as possible before heading east to New England.

I-81 from TN to Binghamton, NY and then I-88 east to Albany and points northeast is a good ride. There are no tolls along I-81 and I-88. Around Albany you can pick up I-87 North and take a scenic route across VT, NH and Maine. Stop in the Adirondacks at Lake Placid and drive up Whiteface Mountain (leave trailer in lot at bottom or at RV park). Go east to Lake George and north a bit more for Lake Champlain. Cross VT and NH off the interstates and go thru the Green Mts of VT and White Mountains of NH. Enjoy the scenery. Disconnect your trailer for the ride of a lifetime up Mt Washington.

Staying west and going thru upstate NY, VT and NH allows you to avoid a ton of tolls (until you have to cross the Hudson River). The "I-87 Northway" above Albany has no tolls. All of I-90 in NY and Mass is tolled, as is I-87 south of Albany. And the tolls add up fast with a dual axle trailer! You can easily rack up $200 in tolls one way if you are not careful where you cross the Hudson and ride on I's 95, 87, 90 etc between Virginia and Maine! There are tolls on all these roads starting in Virginia now, even around DC if you are in the wrong lane of I-95 -- almost as far south as Fredericksburg VA!

Use a good RV GPS that will route you around any small town's narrow downtown streets. State highways in NY, NH and VT are wide and fairly well maintained.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast