User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2023 National Rally camping area options

I am considering attending the 2023 National Rally and have looked over the available maps. I know come 4/1/2023 it will be a sign up surge and I may need options ready.

From the maps I am not sure where the closest camping spots are to the lecture halls, food and transit service, showers, etc. I would like to be in relative walking distance, and not need a golf cart.

For those that have attended before any suggestion on first second and third areas to try for?

Also on the open field areas do they just run power to temp pedestals? Is it the same for the water? Also how much space do they give you (how cramped). DW will want to know.

Appreciate any information and links to pictures that might show things better.

Happy New Year
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I am considering attending the 2023 National Rally and have looked over the available maps. I know come 4/1/2023 it will be a sign up surge and I may need options ready.

From the maps I am not sure where the closest camping spots are to the lecture halls, food and transit service, showers, etc. I would like to be in relative walking distance, and not need a golf cart.

For those that have attended before any suggestion on first second and third areas to try for?

Also on the open field areas do they just run power to temp pedestals? Is it the same for the water? Also how much space do they give you (how cramped). DW will want to know.

Happy New Year
    I wouldn't worry too much about getting close to the meeting area. Those spots are reserved for various VIP types (so I've heard and seen). The volunteers running around in the golf carts are plentiful, so you won't have to wait long for a shuttle no matter where you are (except on our around meal times). You'll just want to make sure you have at least 3 alternates. It fills up fast. We've done H-30 and J, but we preferred H-30 because of the way they let us park, I was able to get enough space to open our awnings and slides in the 395MS-R. It's rather tight in most of the other sections, so we are doubtful we could do that in any of the other areas. Showers are not far from either H or J. All open field with power and water you are just hoooking up to temporary junction boxes and hose splitters. No actual pedestals.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seminars are held in the area just below the main office. The building name escapes me at the moment. The vendors are in the halls near section A also the dining will take place in the end bldg from the vendors or in the green space next to those buildings. .

The gubers will be everyplace to give rides, like started you won't have to wait long for a ride if you're in the boonies. Have a list of areas in order when you register. Registration is timed in a sense so have your VIN ready. Also at registration you can buy the side trips that a are available

Also on the open field areas do they just run power to temp pedestals? Is it the same for the water? Also how much space do they give you (how cramped). DW will want to know. They run water and you are given tickets for 2 dumps over the rally days. There is a rally just before ours so early arrivals will be limited to 1 day early and I don't see that changing.
    As for space, it's tight most can put out an awning but some are tighter and it may not happen. The grounds are laid out for quantity, if it is a quality camping experience you are expecting irally camping is not it. You won't be at the site much anyways

Thought I had pic of where things took place but must have deleted it or it is on my laptop which is not woth me...sorry

Happy New Year
    Happy new year back to you!
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 01-01-2023 at 03:55 PM. Reason: can't find the layout pic
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there. If you really really want to get in, i think the best way to do it is to start at the furthest sections, L, J, K areas. Everyone starts at section A and works down from there. Not saying it is a guarantee. But it could assist in the ticket purchase.

We hosted L last year. You basically will have enough or almost enough room to open your awnings. Depending on what section you get in to. I believe that G and I we super duper tight. I belive that K was roomy. L was roomy but we had about 8 open spots. a, b, and c are fairly close to the buildings. But those are mostly for the volunteers. And there are more than enough Golf cart ubers that will get you to where you need to go. Best of luck getting in,

Jody and Heidi Bates
    @thebatesmotelrv

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. Now to start the planning.

If I do get a spot, are there camp grounds in the nearby community's to camp before the rally. We plan to visit friends and family in Peoria Ill and Marseilles and with the roads and traffic, I don't think it is a one day drive to get there so wanted a stop so I could get there fairly early. Or is there a best time to arrive?

Lots to learn

Also , and please don't laugh, but is there help to get backed in properly. Still learning with the new truck.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are many campgrounds in that area. Look in the shipshewana area??? A lot of folks stay there the week before.

and yes, there are very skilled assistances, to help with the backing in.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help. Now to start the planning.

If I do get a spot, are there camp grounds in the nearby community's to camp before the rally. We plan to visit friends and family in Peoria Ill and Marseilles and with the roads and traffic, I don't think it is a one day drive to get there so wanted a stop so I could get there fairly early. Or is there a best time to arrive?

Lots to learn

Also , and please don't laugh, but is there help to get backed in properly. Still learning with the new truck.
    Only went once 5 yrs ago so advice may be out of date. They didn’t allow reservations ahead that year and assigned spaces on arrival. We ended up in “reflection meadow” which was just a large open field with water pipes and long power cords. The sewer trucks they have work well so there is no need for a sewer hookup - 2 dumps were included and you could get additional if needed. Just hang a tag on the king pin and they completely took care of it while you are at seminars, etc. We would never have chosen the location but actually were very happy with it. We liked being a bit away from the madding crowd and surrounded by other Reflections. The close in spaces were much more packed together. At the time we decided that the only bad sites in our opinion were the ones they had in the center of the track. Since racing goes on during the event, you are restricted on crossing back and forth across the track and have the audience as neighbors. Enjoy, I know it is even bigger now than it was back then which is hard to imagine. We always stay in Shipshewana when in the area.
    2018 Reflection 303rls, MORryde IS
    2017 Ford F-350 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add to Jodis' answer on skilled assustance. The assist is in the form of direction only.

We were told to not get into anyone's vehicle to park it. One of the 1st years at the fairgrounds it was quite muddy up on Reflection hill. . Gary helped friends of ours who did not have 4wd while on assigned parking duty upon attendee check in. After that we were told to not get in and park for someone or even hitch another to our truck. All for liability reasons.
    While it's tight it's doable.

Ebys pines is where we stayed one year when we couldn't get into the fairgrounds for rally prep. Nice place, nothing fancy. Bonus is it's a little removed from the heart of Shipshewana which was nice, traffic in town can get insane on market days
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/