User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tankless water heater

So I'm thinking about replacing my original gas/electric water heater with a tankless model. Should work, huh? Even dry camping without hookups I could take a quick shower.
    Anybody doing this? If so, what are your details? (size of heater, water pressure, etc)
    How is your gas hooked up for safety? Do those need a pilot feed or piezo or?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by how01e View Post
    So I'm thinking about replacing my original gas/electric water heater with a tankless model. Should work, huh? Even dry camping without hookups I could take a quick shower.
    Anybody doing this? If so, what are your details? (size of heater, water pressure, etc)
    How is your gas hooked up for safety? Do those need a pilot feed or piezo or?
    Several people I know have done the conversation using the Truma tankless water heater. https://truma.net/water-systems
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do your research very carefully and don't even think about using the Furrion - too many issues. Look into the Truma mentioned above if you want to go that direction. Personally, I would never consider switching to an on-demand water heater in an RV... just my opinion, though.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted this comment on another thread, but I think it is worth repeating here:

I have a 2023 Reflection 5th Wheel which has a Furrion on demand heater, which is really poor. I am in Mexico for the winter and the inlet water pressure is low, but adequate, and the inlet water temperature is about 26 ºC. If I set the temperature controller to minimum (35 ºC) the water still gets too hot (45) on the minimum burn, then if I turn the cold tap on the hot water flow drops and the hot water temperature rises so I need more cold water for the shower, which further increases the hot water temperature. After 2 or 3 steps the hot water burner cuts off due to over temperature and now all I have is cold water. The other thing i don´t like about the on demand system is that about 20% of the time the burner doesn´t light and the controller is in an error mode.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a trip to the dealer for a looksie. When you say error, is there a code generated?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitexc View Post
    Sounds like a trip to the dealer for a looksie. When you say error, is there a code generated?
    Indeed, I plan to get the dealer to check it out when we get home. There is no error code, but an "E" is displayed.