User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dometic WH-6GEA Water Heater - Only Propane Works - Not Electric

We've had our 2250rk for 18mos and have had it out five times. On the last trip in October, the water heater stopped working on electric during a shower on day three. Luckily it still worked on propane and we used it with propane for two more days. Finally got some time to look at it along with some other needed maintenance items, so brought the trailer from storage to the house this past week while off work.

When putting a meter on the wires going to the control board, the white/green wires showed 12v when the switch on the control center was flipped on for the electric water heater. Then checking the yellow/green wires, there was no voltage when there should have been 12v there too.

Called Dometic and they confirmed the control board was bad and stated that apparently it's been a common issue. They said the unit is still under the two year Dometic warranty and they'll cover getting it replaced. However, I would have to take it to an authorized service center or mobile repair person. Even though I provided them with the troubleshooting results, they wouldn't send me a replacement board. I asked if they'd do a core charge until they got the old one back, nope. If using a mobile repair person, Dometic would not cover any service charges, only labor. In my area, only General RV works on Grand Design trailers. I tried Camping World and Campers Inn, but they wont touch Grand Design trailers even though this isn't a GD part. And I would do anything not to have to take the trailer back to General for warranty work. The last time was a complete sh!t show; they damaged more than they fixed, ordered the wrong parts, took months to fix small things, have poor communication, and I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than go back there.

So I order the board off Amazon for $130 and it fixed the issue. Now I'm getting voltage on the yellow wire and hot water via Electric. I'm going to keep the original board in case this one goes out in the future for both electric and propane and need a temporary back up. Plus I'd rather spend $130 than have to go back to General or wait three months for them to look at it.

Not many google results for this unit and this issue, so hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Original unit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-12-31 08_47_34-Window.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	808.7 KB 
ID:	44268

Name:	2022-12-31 08_47_41-Window.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	44269

Item from Amazon:

Name:	2022-12-31 08_49_18-Window.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	44270

This is the HW:

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoo...-heater-219438
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also want to look into Dinosaur boards, they have very good replacement control boards for RV water heaters. If the Dometic fails again, I would consider an alternative.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    You might also want to look into Dinosaur boards, they have very good replacement control boards for RV water heaters. If the Dometic fails again, I would consider an alternative.
    Yep, we keep spare board for the WH, heater, and fridge, plus any fuses and/or thermal switch so that we arent waiting for them to ship when they go bad camping. Little bit of waste for convenience..
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue a couple of years ago. Called Dometic and they shipped me a new board. However, it was coming snail mail, so I called Dino and had a replacement in two days. I swapped them out myself, it’s not rocket science. You might call Dometic back and ask again if they will ship it to you. Especially since you have already purchased a replacement. I’d let them know that you just want it for a spare, and that you can have a shop do the replacement (using the spare that you are askeing that they send you). You never know if another service person will do things differently and simply ship you the board.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m having the same issue with the same water heater, can you describe your troubleshooting with the meter? I have 12 volts going into the board via the 4 pin connector white and green wires, but when I check the yellow and green I only get 8.31 volts. The yellow is the control wire for the coil in the relay under the black cover, needs at least 9v to operate. Pretty sure the board is bad but wanted a sanity check before I shell out $150 for the dinosaur board. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ​We recently had the ele side stop working, don't forget to check the connections on the relay (ours was behind the heater under the hutch) Gary was trouble shooting and checking out connections , that one must have loosened during travel. Once tightened all was back to how it should be.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As above- same unit same issue it was the board. Dometic send one snail mail with COVID= 2.5 weeks. After reading up on them I bought a dinosaur board and put the new dometic in my SOS (stash of silly stuff that will hamper a great trip!).

Once the Dinosaur board went in it has been stable as a rock. I was considering a tankless not anymore.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resurrecting an old thread to report my experiences with this board.

I, too, did my troubleshooting. I bought and installed the relay first hoping it would be the cheap fix. I now have a spare relay.

I was able to convince Dometic support that I had done my due diligence in trouble shooting the control circuit and that the issue was with the control board. They shipped me a replacement which I installed in less than 10 minutes. Problem resolved, except that the water heater would go through a cycle of rapid on-off clicks (the relay I'm sure) that were loud enough to wake you at night. We actually turned the water heater off when hot water wasn't needed to try and extend its service life. FYI we're full timers.

Two days ago the electric side wouldn't heat. You can hear the relay draw in if the w/h t-stat is calling for heat. It wasn't making a sound. So I switched to gas and heated the tank. For giggles, I tried the electric and heard the relay click. I confirmed the element was powered up by checking the draw on my Watch Dog app. With the gas on, the electric will function. With the gas off, dead in the water.

I'm done with the Dometic board, P/N 93305 (replacement for 93851). Two for two is too much. I'm getting ready to order the dinosaur board (I'm assuming to be UIB64) and will hold the old Dometic as a spare.

Hope this helps others.
    Kevin & Carol
    Nomads since June 2021
    2022 Imagine 2970RL
    2020 F250 SuperCrew 4WD 6.7L MaxTow