Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
    It's because I have the batteries on hand. As I mentioned...I don't want to mix lead acid and lithium's in the same circuit. It's not recommended. What's the harm in using the lithium's to supply inverter only? Not arguing...just curious.
    Also...I think I can get a pure sine wave inverter for about $300. All I would need after that is a transfer/disconnect switch...right?
    No harm whatsoever. It's the cost vs. time and effort kind of thing. Not mixing chemistries is smart. Technically, yes, a transfer switch between the inverter and shore power would be what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Are you talking 2000 watts for 300.00? If so.. That's gotta be a really primative one.
    My thought as well. I don't even think a primitive one is that cheap of any significant watts. Even Harbor Freight modified exceeds this price.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    No harm whatsoever. It's the cost vs. time and effort kind of thing. Not mixing chemistries is smart. Technically, yes, a transfer switch between the inverter and shore power would be what you need.

My thought as well. I don't even think a primitive one is that cheap of any significant watts. Even Harbor Freight modified exceeds this price.
    Just a quick Amazon search, there are several between $200-$400. Here is an example. Don't know anything about it as I haven't researched it.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QH3XNSX...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a quick Amazon search, there are several between $200-$400. Here is an example. Don't know anything about it as I haven't researched it.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QH3XNSX...NrPXRydWU&th=1
    It is NOT 2000 watts. 2000 watts can draw 167 amps at 12 volts. It states that the supplied power cables are 5 Ga. That is not even listed on the AWG charts. 4 Ga is 85 amps and 6Ga is 65 amps. So 5 Ga would be somewhere in the middle.

On edit: if we call it 75 amps, then it could do 900 watts
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-03-2023 at 12:59 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adding lithium's for inverter only but keep lead acid for 12V circuits...

It's because I have the batteries on hand. As I mentioned...I don't want to mix lead acid and lithium's in the same circuit. It's not recommended. What's the harm in using the lithium's to supply inverter only? Not arguing...just curious.
    Also...I think I can get a pure sine wave inverter for about $300. All I would need after that is a transfer/disconnect switch...right?
    I would not buy an inverter from Amazon or an off brand. I would by from a local or well reputed dealer who will stand behind the product they sell and provide customer service and technical support.

You certainly don’t need to buy a Victron product as there are lots of reputable brands such as Gopower or Xantrex to name a couple. The product you listed is in my honest opinion not going to serve you well in your intended application.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys,
    Wife and I mainly use our TT for long summer trips to Alaska or out West. It is 2600RB and has a 30A hookup. We stay gone for about 3-4 months and we do a lot of dry camping. We have two inverter gensets and they work well. But I need to add an inverter because I just added some electric seats so I thought I would do it right.
    OK...I have two 24series deep cycle batteries for my 12V systems. I also have 3 newer lithium's (50Ahrs each) that I want to install with an inverter to supply my 120V circuits.
    How would you incorporate this and a few questions:
    First - Would you use my existing on board charger that takes care of my lead acid batteries to charge the lithium's also? I know the lithium's may not achieve 100% because of the lower voltage but I don't know if that's a big deal? OTOH, I do have a lithium charger that I can plug into shore power.
    Second - Would I need a disconnect switch for this setup when shore power is plugged in? Just curious because my Lithium's would always be supplying the inverter and nothing else and I didn't know if inverters have some sort of sensing relay built in to handle the transfer from shore power to inverter power. If so, what do you guys recommend?
    Third - What inverter would you recommend? I'm not planning on running my AC or microwave from the inverter but my fridge is the propane/AC and I want that. Maybe a 2000W?
    Fourth - What type of charging solar panels would I need to install? My truck charges my batteries when I run but obviously not my lithium's. Would you guys recommend a portable panel or roof mounted?
    Finally - Where would you install the inverter and lithium batteries? I assume somewhere under the front passthrough is the standard place for most people? Anyone have any pics?
    Thanks guys.
    I understand what you are trying to do, however, I am not sure three 50ah batteries will provide very much power for your 120v devices. Think about it like this: in order to get 120 volts, you need to increase your 12 volts by a factor of 10. This also means that you need to divide your amp hours by a factor of 10, this means your 3 batteries only have 15 amps available for one hour. If you want to run a 4 amp load you would get just over 3 hours (Inverter inefficiency will reduce your run time).

Your project will take quite a bit of work for what little bit of energy you get out.

However, if you do decide to proceed, I recommend you install the batteries using the Buss Bar system versus "Daisy Chaining" your batteries together. This is because your 50ah batteries may have trouble providing enough power to operate your Inverter, but, by using a Buss Bar system, each battery is capable of contributing 100% of it's capacity to the inverter, versus being limited by the internal BMS to whatever energy a single battery can provide

You can avoid the expense of installing a transfer switch in your small system by running the output of the Inverter to a dedicated 120v outlet inside the camper. Check out Ray at Love Your RV YouTube channel for a video explaining how he used his 1,000 Watt Inverter for years by having a dedicated outlet for power from the Inverter.

Also, if you do decide to proceed, I recommend you plan for future expansion (especially a battery upgrade) in your layout.

Good luck and let us know how this project turns out.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    It is NOT 2000 watts. 2000 watts can draw 167 amps at 12 volts. It states that the supplied power cables are 5 Ga. That is not even listed on the AWG charts. 4 Ga is 85 amps and 6Ga is 65 amps. So 5 Ga would be somewhere in the middle.

On edit: if we call it 75 amps, then it could do 900 watts
    Isn't the continuous power based on the inverted AC voltage and not the 12Vdc? I thought this should be good for about 16A of continuous AC current which is more than enough for my application. My TT only has 30A service anyway. As I stated, not trying to run my AC or microwave. Just some electronics or one high load item at a time such as a coffee pot.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I understand what you are trying to do, however, I am not sure three 50ah batteries will provide very much power for your 120v devices. Think about it like this: in order to get 120 volts, you need to increase your 12 volts by a factor of 10. This also means that you need to divide your amp hours by a factor of 10, this means your 3 batteries only have 15 amps available for one hour. If you want to run a 4 amp load you would get just over 3 hours (Inverter inefficiency will reduce your run time).
    I just figured that 1.5 hours at continual 10A is more than I need. I assume most of the time my continuous average AC load without appliances is less than 2 or 3A. Yes...I peak out if my recliner motor starts for a few seconds or the coffee pot runs for 10 minutes but again, these are short power draws. I dunno...I dry camped all over Alaska and the Yukon last year without an inverter at all with only two 100AH lead acid batteries and I started my inverter genset for about an hour in the morning and an hour at night just to run coffee pot and/or charge batteries and did fine. This was for both my DC and AC systems. My only addition is my power recliners but am adding 150AH of batteries. I have two 2200W inverter gensets for backup if needed. I just can't justify spending $2000 for a bunch of new lithium batteries when I have these three on hand. I'll try it this way for a summer and if I need to upgrade, I will. Thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by Homeby5; 01-04-2023 at 06:43 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't the continuous power based on the inverted AC voltage and not the 12Vdc? I thought this should be good for about 16A of continuous AC current which is more than enough for my application. My TT only has 30A service anyway. As I stated, not trying to run my AC or microwave. Just some electronics or one high load item at a time such as a coffee pot.
    Watts are watts. Power in is always higher than power out due to inefficiency in the inverter. You can roughly figure the current at 12V is 10 times the AC output current, so to get your 16A AC, 1920W output you’ll need roughly 175 input amps from the battery to cover inefficiency in the inverter.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a junk inverter that is inflating its specs,
    An inverter takes 12v from the batteries and turns it into 120 ac. So it needs to take 10 times the amps from the batteries to do it.
    When doing the math on electricity, Remember Watts is a constant. volts and amps are not.

So in order for an inverter to output 2000 watts in AC, it will need to draw 167 amps from the batteries @12V. This inverter comes with 5Ga wires to connect it to the batteries. They are only good for about 75 amps.
    So...75X12 =900 watts. on the ac side. 900/120 = 7.5 amps AC.

It will actually be less, as the inverter consumes some power in the process.
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-04-2023 at 07:40 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that inverter from Amazon seems fishy.

Also, depending on your battery type and bms discharge rate, they may be a 1C discharge, so you might get 150 amp discharge rating anyway, which would be exceeded by a 2k watt inverter.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast