Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lithium SLA hybrid power?

Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    What's your budget limit?
    I suggest a total conversion to LiFePO2 with proper DC-DC chargers and converter. Having a blended system is a recipe for trouble that you do not need.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepinross View Post
    I suggest a total conversion to LiFePO2 with proper DC-DC chargers and converter. Having a blended system is a recipe for trouble that you do not need.
    There would be no blending in the proposed system. Virtually every personal sized fishing boat has two battery power systems, often with different battery technologies and voltages with no problems.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepinross View Post
    It's not blended. My LifePO2's are only for inverter. And for you guys getting twisted and hung up on the inverter example I used, if you follow the thread I clearly stated that I just picked one out of the air as an example that one could be bought for under $500 for my purposes. I haven't decided on any one yet and hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction. But for my application, I sure don't need something that others would need. Hell, I don't even know if I need 2KW? It was just an off the cuff example. Again...All I am using this for is for my power seats and my outlets to feed my electronics and maybe a coffee pot in the morning. I already have the batteries and a dedicated lithium charger that I use for my boat. Why would I buy thousands of more stuff to get more power when not needed.
    Also, I can simply series my lithium's and buy a 36V inverter...right? Would that be a better option?
    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Homeby5; 01-09-2023 at 07:12 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
    It's not blended. My LifePO2's are only for inverter. And for you guys getting twisted and hung up on the inverter example I used, if you follow the thread I clearly stated that I just picked one out of the air as an example that one could be bought for under $500 for my purposes. I haven't decided on any one yet and hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction. But for my application, I sure don't need something that others would need. Hell, I don't even know if I need 2KW? It was just an off the cuff example. Again...All I am using this for is for my power seats and my outlets to feed my electronics and maybe a coffee pot in the morning. I already have the batteries and a dedicated lithium charger that I use for my boat. Why would I buy thousands of more stuff to get more power when not needed.
    Also, I can simply series my lithium's and buy a 36V inverter...right? Would that be a better option?
    Thanks guys.
    A 2000 watt inverter is a nice size for a whole house inverter. (no Air conditioning) it will run all the outlets, and even a microwave.(because it usually is just s few minutes) That is what I have, and I really like it. What you have to be careful of is if Your 12V input cabling can support the amps necessary for the rated output of the inverter. In the case of the one you linked to... It cannot. Even the Renogy another poster linked to cannot. Renogy has a good reputation, so I wonder about this "kit" Is it a real renogy, and the seller just put this "kit" together? Or is the renogy not really a renogy , but a fake? I do not know. But if you read the Renogy manual it will tell you what size cables are needed. 5ga and 4 ga are too small for 2000 watts.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.
    For wattage requirements, you really just have to gather a list of appliances you plan to run off inverter and add up wattage. Take the max wattage (I add 10% personally), and that's your rating you need. If you plan on running multiple appliances simultaneously, add combined wattage together.

If you can find an inverter that is 36v input and 120v output, that is actually more efficient (usually) than 12v to 120v. I don't know of any.

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    A 2000 watt inverter is a nice size for a whole house inverter. (no Air conditioning) it will run all the outlets, and even a microwave.(because it usually is just s few minutes) That is what I have, and I really like it. What you have to be careful of is if Your 12V input cabling can support the amps necessary for the rated output of the inverter. In the case of the one you linked to... It cannot. Even the Renogy another poster linked to cannot. Renogy has a good reputation, so I wonder about this "kit" Is it a real renogy, and the seller just put this "kit" together? Or is the renogy not really a renogy , but a fake? I do not know. But if you read the Renogy manual it will tell you what size cables are needed. 5ga and 4 ga are too small for 2000 watts.
    That Renogy listing is accurate. OEM is 2x4ga wire which can get you up to 150amps give or take. I'd get a little heavier wire depending on what my duty cycle would be on the draw.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For wattage requirements, you really just have to gather a list of appliances you plan to run off inverter and add up wattage. Take the max wattage (I add 10% personally), and that's your rating you need. If you plan on running multiple appliances simultaneously, add combined wattage together.

If you can find an inverter that is 36v input and 120v output, that is actually more efficient (usually) than 12v to 120v. I don't know of any.

That Renogy listing is accurate. OEM is 2x4ga wire which can get you up to 150amps give or take. I'd get a little heavier wire depending on what my duty cycle would be on the draw.
    The picture shows 1 black and 1 red. The main listing does not state that. I read it to be two 4 ga cables 1 red and 1 black

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just did a quick search on Amazon and found one. I am not saying I will get it or even commenting on the quality. It's just a quick search.
    I found most 36V inverters were 3000W. That's OK also. I would never use that much but why not buy one?
    https://www.amazon.com/WZRELB-2000W-...3309892&sr=8-3

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did a quick search on Amazon and found one. I am not saying I will get it or even commenting on the quality. It's just a quick search.
    I found most 36V inverters were 3000W. That's OK also. I would never use that much but why not buy one?
    Why not buy one?

Because the 3,000 Watt Inverter will overpower your 150 amp batteries.

Additionally, every Inverter has inefficiencies in their design, the higher the wattage, the more actual losses you will experience. For example 10% loss on a 1,000 Watt Inverter is much less than 10% loss on a 3,000 Watt Inverter.

A 36 volt system is an unusual voltage to operate an Inverter from. More common is 12v, 24v, and 48v (48v is usually reserved for higher Wattage Inverters). You will find more inverters available in voltages of 12v and 24v along with much lower prices.

By-the-way, are you looking at "Pure Sine" wave Inverters? A Pure Sine wave Inverter is the only Inverter I would recommend for installation in an RV.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    The picture shows 1 black and 1 red. The main listing does not state that. I read it to be two 4 ga cables 1 red and 1 black
    I did the same thing. But I downloaded the manual for the Renogy out of curiosity and it is 2x4ga (2 pcs = 1 red + 1 black). If you zoom in on the photo for the Amazon listing here you can see its actually two wired into one lug. Pic attached. ETA another manual says 2ga included, so who knows, lol.

I don't know anything about that model or brand, but some of that chinese stuff is actually pretty good, but I don't like to gamble with electricity so I tend to stray from unknown components. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230109_230451_Samsung%20Internet.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	44397
    Last edited by A.Texas.Yankee; 01-09-2023 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same thing. But I downloaded the manual for the Renogy out of curiosity and it is 2x4ga (2 pcs = 1 red + 1 black). If you zoom in on the photo for the Amazon listing here you can see its actually two wired into one lug. Pic attached. ETA another manual says 2ga included, so who knows, lol.

I don't know anything about that model or brand, but some of that chinese stuff is actually pretty good, but I don't like to gamble with electricity so I tend to stray from unknown components. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230109_230451_Samsung%20Internet.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	44397
    I just looked at it zoomed in. It is indeed two cables installed into
    one lug, but only for the positive cable! The negative is only one cable. Not a good wiring practice at all. I cannot believe that this is a real Renogy.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast