User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a draw perspective it could over power the batteries. It is something I mentioned in an earlier post, the battery bank must be sized to the inverter. You should not have an inverter that can draw more amperage than the battery bank can provide at any given time. I think for a 3k inverter the minimum battery bank size should be 400 ah.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    From a draw perspective it could over power the batteries. It is something I mentioned in an earlier post, the battery bank must be sized to the inverter. You should not have an inverter that can draw more amperage than the battery bank can provide at any given time. I think for a 3k inverter the minimum battery bank size should be 400 ah.

Bill
    Another consideration would be the batteries’ BMS limits. It’s probable that the BMS will shut them down with a 50A draw, meaning the three battery bank couldn’t supply 2000W, much less 3000 even for a short time.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Another consideration would be the batteries’ BMS limits. It’s probable that the BMS will shut them down with a 50A draw, meaning the three battery bank couldn’t supply 2000W, much less 3000 even for a short time.
    Agreed. 100ah batteries with a BMS rated for 50 amp draw would limit that system to about 600 watts before the BMS disconnects.
    A 2k draw would be about 166 amps from the batteries.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see I am coming late to this thread but I'll add my 2 cents because I did not see this previously mentioned when skimming through the other responses. To do what you are thinking about doing, tie your lithium battery bank into the rest of your trailer's DC system via a DC-DC converter. This will give you complete isolation between the two DC systems. Most DC-DC chargers are intended for charging a house battery bank from a vehicle alternator and starting battery. In order to prevent draining the vehicle starting battery when the engine is not running, there is typically a vehicle ignition sense wire that turns on the DC-DC charger. What I am suggesting is to modify use of the DC-DC charger so that the input comes from your existing deep cycle FLA batteries, and the charging output goes to your lithium bank. Now you just need a way to turn it on. If you want to keep it cheap and stone simple, just wire up a manual toggle switch from the 12VDC input to the ignition sense wire. The current to the ignition sense is hardly anything, so it can be a dirt cheap switch (protected with an inline fuse). Then whenever you want to charge the lithiums, just flip the switch on. Of course, you would only want to charge the lithiums when you have a good source of power keeping the deep cycle FLAs charged, such as shore / generator power, tow vehicle with engine running, or solar.

I am not recommending any specific brand, but as you have seen, the Renogy 2000W psw inverter can be had for around $300, and they also make a DC-DC charger for around $100, depending on the charge rate you want to get. As you have said, toss whatever cables come in the box (I don't know why they even bother) and make your own with the appropriate sized wire and fuses. On the AC inverter output, use a transfer switch, such as the Xantrex, or a dedicated cord or outlet from the inverter.
    2023 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456