Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furrion Backup Camera Screen Size

Happy New Year to everyone!

We are looking at purchasing the Furrion backup camera for our 2022 Momentum 398M-R and were mulling over options for the screen size. It looks like they have a 7", 5", and 4.3". Some reviews on etrailer indicate that the 7" may be too big. What are others using and do you wish you had used a different screen size? For what it is worth, we are not contemplating the side view cameras because they just don't seem like they have much utility.

As for our tow vehicle, we have a 2023 GMC Sierra 3500 if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
    Clif

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are other things to consider than the screen size. The Furrions are not known for clear or bright images on their monitors - other brands do much better jobs. Also, the regular "backup" cameras have slow refresh rates and are of less use when in motion on the highway (i.e. for knowing when its safe to pull over after passing a semi, etc.). The "rear monitor" units have a faster refresh rate and are better for this. You are correct in that dash clutter can build up quickly - especially if you're using an RV-specific GPS and a TMPS (I had a young Border Patrol agent comment on it passing through a checkpoint one day - he wanted to know if "all those" were GPSs). I have found the 5" monitor to be fine, but if I were to do it over again, I would check out other brands.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Furrion with a 5" monitor & I'm pretty happy with it. Since you mention "back up" camera, I'm presuming that'll be its primary purpose.

The feature I use quite a bit with mine is the audio capability. If I get in a tight area, I get a spotter (my wife, friend, etc) to talk to me through the camera while I'm backing. The microphone in the Furrion is quite good so I can clearly hear the person behind when they talk in a quiet, normal voice - so there's no yelling at the campsite. Since it's one-way communication, the spotter can't tell if I can hear them, so I tell them I'll tap the brakes twice to signal that I'm hearing them fine.

On my 40' toy hauler, I will get some video stuttering while driving now and then. I use the camera as more of a cross-check on clearance, rather than a primary safety device, so that's not a huge consideration for me.
    signature

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a haloview observation camera with7" monitor. If purchasing again it would be the 5" monitor the 7" is bigger than I like on the dash
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I have a haloview observation camera with7" monitor. If purchasing again it would be the 5" monitor the 7" is bigger than I like on the dash
    We have the AMTIFO A7 (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PDH6Z8), which has a seven-inch display. We mount it to the rearview mirror using the Haloview mount (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J3RYDNW). It has a great picture and I've never seen it falter at highway speeds, an excellent safety accessory.

The 7-inch screen works well for us since it is mounted on the rearview mirror with no dash clutter.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There are other things to consider than the screen size. The Furrions are not known for clear or bright images on their monitors - other brands do much better jobs. Also, the regular "backup" cameras have slow refresh rates and are of less use when in motion on the highway (i.e. for knowing when its safe to pull over after passing a semi, etc.). The "rear monitor" units have a faster refresh rate and are better for this. You are correct in that dash clutter can build up quickly - especially if you're using an RV-specific GPS and a TMPS (I had a young Border Patrol agent comment on it passing through a checkpoint one day - he wanted to know if "all those" were GPSs). I have found the 5" monitor to be fine, but if I were to do it over again, I would check out other brands.

Rob
    I'm doing the same research with mine but have decided to go with the Haloview. It's way better for just about everything including price. I would check them out.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a generic camera from Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It has a 7" screen, and I use velcro straps to attach it to my rearview mirror when driving.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5856.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	44303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5858.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	44304
    Dan & Virginia

2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 RAM 2500 Big Horn

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last season my no name knockoff camera quit working. After much research, I decided on the Haloview with the 7in screen. The old one was real small. I really don't regret it and love it. It's so clear. I had the screen mounted on the rearview mirror but have since relocated in middle of the dash.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given your TV is a 2023, may want to ponder what's available to your truck from the OE first. Beyond that, I went with 5" and Furrion at the time was the best option. I really have no complaints about it at all.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    We have the AMTIFO A7 (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078PDH6Z8), which has a seven-inch display. We mount it to the rearview mirror using the Haloview mount (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J3RYDNW). It has a great picture and I've never seen it falter at highway speeds, an excellent safety accessory.

The 7-inch screen works well for us since it is mounted on the rearview mirror with no dash clutter.
    I'll have to look into a rearview mirror mount for my display.Thks
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast