User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: broken dodge

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a picture of the crack on that frame but I thought I saved it but couldn’t find it…..my brother in law has a ram 3500….he’s going to get the frame box in part and have it welded in…..I had the pic of the GMC 2500 but it went missing, and it only had a dump trailer attached….could have been I northern truck with salt roads corrosion, don’t know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly cargo weight ratings are the one thing that most people, especially a salesman, DON'T understand. They say oh my truck will pull a 20,000 lb 5-er but they don't realize they are over their cargo weight rating based on their truck when they toss in that loaded 5er and it's kingpin weight and that's when they wonder why things aren't going so well.
    Jeri, Honey & Char
    2019 GD Momentum 376th
    2022 Ford F350 Crewcab 4WD SRW Diesel Longbed

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first thing I looked at was the door sticker for ratings…..pick a fifth wheel with a very good pin weight, it was one of the lowest, then filled up truck, everything I’d put in the trailer as if I was leaving……then drove the scales, still had over 350 pounds usable. Felt very happy with that..and had over 3000 lbs towable left….sometimes 1 + 1 =2…..I have seen overloaded, the person was passing me on I80, definitely was tail low….hit a bump, started bucking an blew out both rear tires….they were traveling with another group and they help them out…still sad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCass View Post
    The first thing I looked at was the door sticker for ratings…..pick a fifth wheel with a very good pin weight, it was one of the lowest, then filled up truck, everything I’d put in the trailer as if I was leaving……then drove the scales, still had over 350 pounds usable. Felt very happy with that..and had over 3000 lbs towable left….sometimes 1 + 1 =2…..I have seen overloaded, the person was passing me on I80, definitely was tail low….hit a bump, started bucking an blew out both rear tires….they were traveling with another group and they help them out…still sad

Like you Steve, I crunched numbers until I had a headache. Took the trailer to the scales empty when I brought her home and took her back after I loaded her up. Not always easy to see the problems with a fifth wheel being overweight, but I've seen some bumper pulls that made me want to run for my life. These were just some of the stuff we see these days.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	239328292_10225925783154109_7974425324188425531_n.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	44378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	223899212_10225892199994551_7568223895174247426_n.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	44379
    Jeri, Honey & Char
    2019 GD Momentum 376th
    2022 Ford F350 Crewcab 4WD SRW Diesel Longbed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have all seen things that are hard to believe. Even thinking "what were they thinking" when they did that? The tops of my list are seeing a 17 foot single axle R-Pod and could not see the tow vehicle. Finally got next to them and realized it was being towed by a Ford Focus. I was immediately no longer next to them!!
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    I have a Lance slide in with Torklift tie downs. They use existing holes on my application.
    Same with our Host Everest.

Something else to consider. A lot of newbies come online ( not talking about here ) and ask questions about weight and get laughed at and told don’t pay attention to the payload numbers. There are “other” ratings to pay more attention to.
    Bill & Rachel
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD DRW
    2023 Host Everest
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL—( No longer own ).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were at Grayton Beach State Park in Florida during Christmas and guy 2 sites down from us had similar setup. He had Ram 3500 and same Eagle Cap camper; to be honest not sure if his truck was long bed or short bed. He was also towing about a 20 foot enclosed trailer behind it. Never saw camper on truck; he had it off with 4 camper support legs down and 4 jack stands underneath camper with board running across top of jack stands from side to side. Based on weight of camper he had to be over loaded also and towing enclosed trailer. I don't butt in to someone's elses business unless asked; so I didn't tell him I had seen picture of Ram with broke frame.
    But guy across from me asked for advice on how to repack camper wheel bearings and how often to do it. He had Imagine 2150 with melted bearing and damagesd spindle. Not sure how he made it to campground unless he was very close when bearing melted. He was only using the EZ Lube grease zerks on end of axles and he honestly thought he was doing proper maintenance.

Mobile Tech was bringing out complete axle assembly when he got it in; axle, spindle, bearings, races, drums, and brakes. I sure he got a very expensive lesson in proper camper maintenance.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 01-23-2023 at 01:16 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duramax View Post
    Something else to consider. A lot of newbies come online ( not talking about here ) and ask questions about weight and get laughed at and told don’t pay attention to the payload numbers. There are “other” ratings to pay more attention to.
    I am glad I am "over trucked" for what I am towing. As an engineer I always like to be over built for anything I do or design.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    We have all seen things that are hard to believe. Even thinking "what were they thinking" when they did that? The tops of my list are seeing a 17 foot single axle R-Pod and could not see the tow vehicle. Finally got next to them and realized it was being towed by a Ford Focus. I was immediately no longer next to them!!
    You said it. This last weekend I saw a Reflection 337 getting pulled by an F150. Wasn’t pretty.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCass View Post
    There is a picture of the crack on that frame but I thought I saved it but couldn’t find it…..my brother in law has a ram 3500….he’s going to get the frame box in part and have it welded in…..I had the pic of the GMC 2500 but it went missing, and it only had a dump trailer attached….could have been I northern truck with salt roads corrosion, don’t know
    I remember seeing the crack in the frame as well. And if it was a truck spent some time in the rust belt, all bets are off. I witnessed a demonstration once comparing two identical frames, one from Texas and one from Minnesota. they were supported by 4 jack stands each. The results were eye opening for sure.
    The one from Texas barely moved when it was "wiggled" by hand from one corner. The one from Minnesota looked like it was made of rubber in the same "test".
    (they were Chevy S-10 frames that were under those small Postal service trucks)
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123