Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 GD Momentum 21G pump issues

We have a 2021 (I call my COVID built trailer). New issue. For the first time, have tried to use the fresh water tank for dry camping at a deer lease. I pumped a 30gal barrel of water in and now cannot get the pump to shut off. Specs show 100 gal capacity. Two tanks. Now, I am wondering if this is not enough water in the tank (s)? How much water needs to be added in order to use the 12v pump? I feel that I have done everything possible to get the water to run. Vented hot water tank, opened/closed faucets, etc.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Bill

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would check the strainer directly on the pump inlet, could be sucking in air.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not to familier with your model but I believe 30 gallons should suffice for the inlet pipe to be under water. Maybe not. But first I'd also check and make sure that every faucet is close including the outside shower and low gravity drain. On some model, there's a valve right before the pump which is used for winterizing. It could be in the wrong position.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Latest update. Went ahead and filled both water tanks. Current status is: good pressure at all outlets in trailer, hot water heater is apparently full. Don't see any water leaking out anywhere. Water at faucets is solid flow with no "sputtering". Problem is pump will not shut off at all. Does not cycle. Strainer seems to be ok. No cracks and has water. Any new ideas?? Thanks, Bill

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure the pumps have adjustable pressure switches, might want to look at that route. Other thing could be a leaking check valve on the pump itself, or the city water inlet check valve or a leaking valve on your water panel (even if it's not a visible leak).
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One other thing just popped in my mind, do you have both water pump switches on?

There is a switch on the water panel and one on the interior of the RV. You should only have the interior switch on, not both (although depending on the pump it might not matter if both are on).
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshot View Post
    Latest update. Went ahead and filled both water tanks. Current status is: good pressure at all outlets in trailer, hot water heater is apparently full. Don't see any water leaking out anywhere. Water at faucets is solid flow with no "sputtering". Problem is pump will not shut off at all. Does not cycle. Strainer seems to be ok. No cracks and has water. Any new ideas?? Thanks, Bill
    I discovered this same issue 3 weeks ago when we were out at a park for Christmas. Filled the fresh water tanks and disconnected from the water spigot since temps were going down to 7 degrees. Discovered that in “dry camp” mode on the water panel, the pump will stay on at a low volume. Open a faucet and it speeds up to maintain pressure. Close faucet and it slows down and never turns off. This past week now that we back home, I put the water panel in “winterize” mode and pulled water from a 5 gallon tank through the city connection using the water pump. The pump ran long enough to pressurize the lines and it stopped. It held pressure for 15 minutes without switching back on. Opening/closing faucets allowed pump to cycle on/off with no issues. Used “power fill” mode to add about 25 gallons water into fresh water tanks. Switched water panel back to “dry camp” and the pump filled the water heater. Added another 10 gallons to fresh tanks. Now back in “dry camp” mode, the water pump would pump at full power with a faucet open and slow down to a hum when closed. The pump stayed on at a low speed and would not shut off. So the pressure cut off works and it seems there may be a leak in the water heater lines since the water heater is bypassed in winterize mode? I hope to find out tomorrow as I will be climbing into the belly to stare at water lines while in dry camp mode with the pump on.

My water pump is a Flow-Max model DS-01230-M2. I found this line in the manual under trouble shooting as a reason why the pump may not turn off…“Check for trapped air in outlet side (water heater) or pump head.” I’ve been reading a lot of “manuals” lately and seem to remember something about the water heater needing to have an air gap at the top. NOT sure if that is correct but having an air gap seems like the water pump would work to compress that air until the water pressure hit the cut off setting. Don’t know but I will pull open the pressure relief on the water heater while running the pump to remove as much air as possible. Hopefully, the pump will stop. I will report tomorrow.
    Another item, should the in-line screen in the clear plastic be “under” the water line. Mine is mounted facing up and air is trapped in the cup.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought that if you had a small leak (air or water) that the pump would shut off and then run and shut off several times until fixed. Mine doesn't shut off at all. Makes me think it might be a pump and/or the pressure switch itself. If it was an air leak, wouldn't there be some sputtering at some faucet? Just trying to understand!! Thanks

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a leaking valve on my Nautilus panel in my 399. It was the blue valve and it allowed the FW tank to be filled while on city water. My pump would constantly cycle, almost run non-stop, but I never had any sputtering. Fixing the leak corrected the pump in my case.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshot View Post
    We have a 2021 (I call my COVID built trailer). New issue. For the first time, have tried to use the fresh water tank for dry camping at a deer lease. I pumped a 30gal barrel of water in and now cannot get the pump to shut off. Specs show 100 gal capacity. Two tanks. Now, I am wondering if this is not enough water in the tank (s)? How much water needs to be added in order to use the 12v pump? I feel that I have done everything possible to get the water to run. Vented hot water tank, opened/closed faucets, etc.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Bill
    Well I figured mine out. In dry camp mode, pump on, I opened the water heater pressure relief valve and let the air out while it filled. Once I got a steady stream of water (not very much was spilled) I closed it. The water pump stayed on for about 30 more seconds and shut off. I opened up hot water on sink and air came out and pump switched on. Closed faucet, pump switched off. It’s been more than 2 hours, water pump switched on, and it has not run on its own until I open a valve.

So at least for me, it appears that all the air needs to purge out of the water heater to allow the pump to hit its pressure cut off. Not sure if you tried purging the water heater of air. Hope you figure it out.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast