User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Traveling to a colder location, from a warmer/hotter location will definitely cause a pressure loss. Any pressure that is 10% under the correct pressure is considered to be underinflated.
    I have 6 LRH tires (4800 each) supporting the coach. With almost 29,000 lbs of tire capacity.... I don't worry about it. TPMS for the truck and coach have never alarmed.
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-06-2023 at 06:10 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have 6 LRH tires (4800 each) supporting the coach. With almost 29,000 lbs of tire capacity.... I don't worry about it. TPMS for the truck and coach have never alarmed.
    Well, I'm sure that probably works just fine for your situation, it's just not advisable for a lot of the folks that have tires that are just barely enough capacity for the trailer.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm sure that probably works just fine for your situation, it's just not advisable for a lot of the folks that have tires that are just barely enough capacity for the trailer.
    I have upgraded the tires on every RV I have owned prior to my present one . GD made this upgrade available right after I ordered, and I was able to get it added on. I agree that most towable RVs are under tired, and axeled too for that matter. For some reason a lot of RVers are accepting of poor tire performance. They check their tires constantly, and do everything but rub baby oil on them and have them blessed. This is because they fail so often... Yet nobody woories to this extent about their automobiles tires. They
    just expect that they will perform, and they generally do. One doesn't have to have RV tires that are a constant source of anxiety. They can be changed out for better tires.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They check their tires constantly, and do everything but rub baby oil on them and have them blessed.
    LMFAO. Well put.

I will point out though, that your winter is a lot more gentle than mine. I'm at -18*c right now. If plans don't fall through, I'll be at +20c in two or three days driving. That big a change in ambient makes a difference.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    LMFAO. Well put.

I will point out though, that your winter is a lot more gentle than mine. I'm at -18*c right now. If plans don't fall through, I'll be at +20c in two or three days driving. That big a change in ambient makes a difference.
    IDK. I am in Phoenix where it is pretty warm, But back when I was competing my Brittanys in AKC Field Trials, I remember attending one in New Mexico on one of Ted Turner's ranch's outside of Truth or Consequences. It was -12f when I ran my first dog. That TT did not have a enclosed or heated underbelly. I ran my EU 2000 non stop along with the furnace. When that event was over, we had one more event in Bernardo, Hit a campground along the way to get more propane and dump the tanks. Could not dump as the valves were frozen. Ran the furnace while undertow, so all of the plumbing stayed operational inside. That TT had the FW tank inside under the bed.
    I never gave my tires a thought. But as I have aready said, I like to have the best tires possible.
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-07-2023 at 07:12 AM.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IDK. I am in Phoenix where it is pretty warm, But back when I was competing my Brittanys in AKC Field Trials, I remember attending one in New Mexico on one of Ted Turner's ranch's outside of Truth or Consequences. It was -12f when I ran my first dog. That TT did not have a enclosed or heated underbelly. I ran my EU 2000 non stop along with the furnace. When that event was over, we had one more event in Bernardo, Hit a campground along the way to get more propane and dump the tanks. Could not dump as the valves were frozen. Ran the furnace while undertow, so all of the plumbing stayed operational inside. That TT had the FW tank inside under the bed.
    I never gave my tires a thought. But as I have aready said, I like to have the best tires possible.
    Grand Design has always used more tire capacity than what most people would think in the Triple Axle Toy Haulers. My 2018 Momentum 394M came with LRG tires on it, rated at 4080 lb capacity when inflated to the 110psi max rating. That gives you a total of 24,480 lbs of load capacity....which is 3,480 lbs MORE than the 7K axles are rated for. If you figure a 20K GVWR and about 4000 lbs of that on the pin, that takes the axles total load down to approx. 16,000 lb spread over the three axles. That comes out to 8480 lbs total or 2826 lbs per axle or 1413 lbs per tire. Of course those numbers are at those ratings when the tire is new, and as with all tires, that load rating will slowly decrease over time and miles because of wear, sun exposure, etc. I presently have approx. 15,000 miles on the Westlake LRG tires that came on the trailer and they will be 5 years old this summer, as per the date manufacturing code on the tires. They still look good, but trust me, I will be inspecting them very closely this spring when the trailer comes out of hibernation, for any signs of age cracking, bubbles, etc. I also run a TST 507 TPMS on the tires, and always start out at the 110 psi rating that is on the trailer safety sticker.

And on a side note....my best friend had a Brittany Spaniel when we were in our teens and early 20. One of the very best bird dogs I've ever been behind....they are awesome dogs for sure.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design has always used more tire capacity than what most people would think in the Triple Axle Toy Haulers. My 2018 Momentum 394M came with LRG tires on it, rated at 4080 lb capacity when inflated to the 110psi max rating. That gives you a total of 24,480 lbs of load capacity....which is 3,480 lbs MORE than the 7K axles are rated for. If you figure a 20K GVWR and about 4000 lbs of that on the pin, that takes the axles total load down to approx. 16,000 lb spread over the three axles. That comes out to 8480 lbs total or 2826 lbs per axle or 1413 lbs per tire. Of course those numbers are at those ratings when the tire is new, and as with all tires, that load rating will slowly decrease over time and miles because of wear, sun exposure, etc. I presently have approx. 15,000 miles on the Westlake LRG tires that came on the trailer and they will be 5 years old this summer, as per the date manufacturing code on the tires. They still look good, but trust me, I will be inspecting them very closely this spring when the trailer comes out of hibernation, for any signs of age cracking, bubbles, etc. I also run a TST 507 TPMS on the tires, and always start out at the 110 psi rating that is on the trailer safety sticker.

And on a side note....my best friend had a Brittany Spaniel when we were in our teens and early 20. One of the very best bird dogs I've ever been behind....they are awesome dogs for sure.
    One interesting point. Grand Design may use quality tires but I learned that doesn't mean the dealer will ensure those tires are on the unit when it is sold. We purchased out of state. When we picked up the unit, I failed to notice that one of the tires was not a Goodyear Endurance, which the other three were. That tire was a Westlake. The spare was also a brand I cannot recall and never heard of. My guess is that there was a blowout in transit or something and the dealer just didn't notice or care. I didn't notice until I got home so I took care of it myself thinking that I would get reimbursed. But since I didn't have pictures prior to having the tires replaced, no joy on reimbursement. Two lessons learned, look at the tires when I pick up a new RV and call before having repair/replacement performed if I want something covered. As far as the warranty stuff, I frankly don't care. I prefer to take care of stuff and be done with it rather than quibble or fight over it - within reason of course.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    One interesting point. Grand Design may use quality tires but I learned that doesn't mean the dealer will ensure those tires are on the unit when it is sold. We purchased out of state. When we picked up the unit, I failed to notice that one of the tires was not a Goodyear Endurance, which the other three were. That tire was a Westlake. The spare was also a brand I cannot recall and never heard of. My guess is that there was a blowout in transit or something and the dealer just didn't notice or care. I didn't notice until I got home so I took care of it myself thinking that I would get reimbursed. But since I didn't have pictures prior to having the tires replaced, no joy on reimbursement. Two lessons learned, look at the tires when I pick up a new RV and call before having repair/replacement performed if I want something covered. As far as the warranty stuff, I frankly don't care. I prefer to take care of stuff and be done with it rather than quibble or fight over it - within reason of course.
    I agree with Rbug. A warranty where repairs pull you off the road for months for fairly straight forward repairs, is not a warranty. Only in extreme circumstances would I consider work done at a dealer, with or without warranty to pay for it. The cost of time is just too high.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12