User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Pressure Question

I’m sorry if this has been discussed before but I am new to the forum. On my TT I have Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R14 Tires. I know the pressure states 65psi Right now it is 40 degrees and the tire pressures is at 54psi. If I blow them up to the 65psi won’t the tires get over pressurized when they start heating up as we are going down the road? This has always been confusing to me. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you can send my way.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct - this has been discussed a number of times (the search function is at the upper right of the menu bar).

Recommended inflation pressures are cold inflation pressures. Expansion of the air when the tire warms up is taken into consideration. The tires should always be aired to the recommended cold inflation pressure when cold (in your case, 65 PSI for a load range C tire). When the weather warms up again in the spring, check them cold and, if necessary at that point, bring the pressures back down to 65 PSI.

BTW - welcome to the forum!

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much. I thought as much but could never find a good answer. Sorry to be monotonous. Hopefully I will learn the forums

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithRA View Post
    Thank you very much. I thought as much but could never find a good answer. Sorry to be monotonous. Hopefully I will learn the forums
    @SmithRA -

Not a problem - we all were new at one point. Here are a few forum tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) If you choose to get a paid membership (nominal cost and well worth it), you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @SmithRA, welcome to the forum. Looks like Second Chance has steered you right, let us know what else might come up.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithRA View Post
    First of all, welcome to the forum, it's a great resource from many, many very experienced folks. The term "cold pressure" is the term that is always used and I totally understand it's meaning. But, in my opinion, a more appropriate description would be to inflate the tires to the correct pressure based on the ambient air temperature that the tire is in, and BEFORE using the tires or having them exposed to direct sunlight or a heating source. An example would be is that if you are starting out on a trip in a location that is 60°F, inflate the tires to the proper pressure (in your case 65psi). And as Rob stated, the tires are engineered and built to handle the pressure increase as the tire heats up during travel. Then, let's say you find yourself 500 miles down the road and the ambient air temperatures are in the 80's....say 85°F. That morning, before pulling out for travel, adjust the tire pressure to the 65psi at that ambient temperature. Cold pressure terminology is a bit misleading and that is why I think that ambient pressure is actually a better way to look at it.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    First of all, welcome to the forum, it's a great resource from many, many very experienced folks. The term "cold pressure" is the term that is always used and I totally understand it's meaning. But, in my opinion, a more appropriate description would be to inflate the tires to the correct pressure based on the ambient air temperature that the tire is in, and BEFORE using the tires or having them exposed to direct sunlight or a heating source. An example would be is that if you are starting out on a trip in a location that is 60°F, inflate the tires to the proper pressure (in your case 65psi). And as Rob stated, the tires are engineered and built to handle the pressure increase as the tire heats up during travel. Then, let's say you find yourself 500 miles down the road and the ambient air temperatures are in the 80's....say 85°F. That morning, before pulling out for travel, adjust the tire pressure to the 65psi at that ambient temperature. Cold pressure terminology is a bit misleading and that is why I think that ambient pressure is actually a better way to look at it.
    Thanks so much. That makes perfect sense

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I set my pressures at home in Phoenix. We usually end up in the mountains where it is cooler I don't worry about it, So long as my TPMS is happy, so am I. If I need to readjust my pressures everytime I move the coach, I need better tires.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    You are correct - this has been discussed a number of times (the search function is at the upper right of the menu bar).

Recommended inflation pressures are cold inflation pressures. Expansion of the air when the tire warms up is taken into consideration. The tires should always be aired to the recommended cold inflation pressure when cold (in your case, 65 PSI for a load range C tire). When the weather warms up again in the spring, check them cold and, if necessary at that point, bring the pressures back down to 65 PSI.

BTW - welcome to the forum!

Rob
    I have found that in Phoenix if I set the pressures in the winter, I rarely need to do it again until next winter, As the weather warms up, it compensates for normal tire air loss really well. This might not work everywhere, but it has been working well for me
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I set my pressures at home in Phoenix. We usually end up in the mountains where it is cooler I don't worry about it, So long as my TPMS is happy, so am I. If I need to readjust my pressures everytime I move the coach, I need better tires.
    Traveling to a colder location, from a warmer/hotter location will definitely cause a pressure loss. Any pressure that is 10% under the correct pressure is considered to be underinflated.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast