User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went generator route first but didn't like the noise and smell . Maybe a propane one would help with the smell .
    We have an inverter generator not very loud but when boondocking you can still hear it .
    Our solar started with renogy 200 watt solar suitcase works well then we got lithium batteries then another suite case . Love the no noise no smell !
    We have the generator for backup but haven't needed to use it .
    I would start with the generator can't go wrong there and see how it works for you .
    The portable solar panels are nice and easy also provides more power the flat mounted roof of the same size because you can angle them and rotate for optimum out put . I have gotten 100ah out of each of the suitcase per day .
    The renogy suitcase are heavy just fyi .
    Last edited by Conner58; 01-10-2023 at 04:40 AM.
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner58 View Post
    We went generator route first but didn't like the noise and smell . Maybe a propane one would help with the smell .
    We have an inverter generator not very loud but when boondocking you can still hear it .
    Our solar started with renogy 200 watt solar suitcase works well then we got lithium batteries then another suite case . Love the no noise no smell !
    We have the generator for backup but haven't needed to use it .
    I would start with the generator can't go wrong there and see how it works for you .
    The portable solar panels are nice and easy also provides more power the flat mounted roof of the same size because you can angle them and rotate for optimum out put . I have gotten 100ah out of each of the suitcase per day .
    The renogy suitcase are heavy just fyi .
    You are boondocking, so you do not need to have it close. Put that generator 150' away behind a log and you will not be able to tell it's running
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mataeva View Post
    Solar project is on an indefinite hold, but we'll be purchasing a generator within the next few months. Then we'll figure out if we're actually going to go "off the grid" or if it's just something we think we would do. As I mentioned earlier, we have a lot to learn even though we've been camping for many years.
    This is what came to my mind when I read your opening question.
    Get the gennie and see what you think of boondocking. Then if you like it, then lay out the $$ for solar. Depending on how capable a solar system you want, it will be $5000 to $10000.
    For me, that means I boondock with a generator.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have pointed out, simply purchasing a 3500W Inverter Generator like the Predator 3500 from Harbor Freight (https://tinyurl.com/2xkjcsd7) is the simplest solution, and I have one. They are great. But, I also designed and built my own solar power installation in my 2019 295RL fifth wheel, which like your Imagine, was not pre-wired for solar. I needed to be really careful about where I penetrated the roof with the photovoltaic (PV) lines, and where/how I set up the system. I decided to put it in the front compartment of the fifth-wheel, per the attached photo. I have 6 200W panels on the roof, and 4 200AH LiFePO4 batteries connected to a GroWatt 3500 inverter/charge controller. I'm VERY happy with this system and have boondocked for up to two weeks using all the electrical power I wanted to without ever getting close to running out.
    Two incredibly helpful YouTube channels are https://www.youtube.com/@WillProwse and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht1kl37pJ2E (an Explorist Life episode from a few years ago). I knew nothing at all about solar, but was able to design and build this system after watching many of these videos:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solar Power Install Fifth-Wheel Front Equip Bay.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	44456
    ~ Hagrid

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mataeva View Post
    Looking for advice on installing solar panels on our rig. The unit is not wired for solar, so we would be retrofitting from scratch. What are pros and cons? We appreciate hearing from anyone with any information or opinion about this.

Thanks in advance
    2020 GD Imagine 2970RL
    We currently have 300 AH of lithium battery power, 560 watts of solar and a 2k watt inverter plus a 2k yamaha suitcase generator. We snowbird in southern Arizona and boondock for four to seven days at a time. The nice thing about a good solar system in Arizona sunshine in the winter, is you rarely have to use the generator, but having a suitcase Honda , Yamaha or other 2k watt minimum generator is a must if you plan on being off grid. You may get cloudy or rainy days or excessive power drain that the generator will take care of. A couple of decisions we made for boondocking was to rule out power hungry devices that were not absolutely necessary to run off inverter power. The micro wave for one was ruled out right away. Toasters, hairdryers, drip coffee makers and other things that pull too much amperage are not used. In a smaller solar, inverter,, battery bank system, there are limits to accept, like not using
    AC . The coffee pot seems to be discussed a lot. We use the largest capacity double chamber expresso maker that is stainless steel and is heated on the propane stove. It makes two big cups of excellent coffee for my wife and I. It is such a great coffee maker that we don't even have a drip maker on board for when we have shore power. It's stainless, so its forever and quite bullit proof. We grind our coffee beans, as the inverter is wired to all the outlets in the coach. You could go with an old fashioned coffee pot on the burner as well. All our outlets are wired to the inverter. We regularly use tv, dvd player, kitchen aid mixer and other low amperage draw items. Our refridgerator is one of the biggest power hogs on the system. Its a 13 cu dbl door absortion running propane when off grid, but needs multiple fans running constantly to keep cool. Really cold nights with your furnace running can draw down your battery bank quite a bit also. I consider our system just about minimal for extended boondocking. My rig was not set up for solar either, other then a furrion plug in port going to the battery. I did all the installation myself and there is definitely some planning and electrical wiring knowledge required for a good working system. It's a 100% worth it if you really want to get out and stay in non crowded quiet places though.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deerislandbrew View Post
    We currently have 300 AH of lithium battery power, 560 watts of solar and a 2k watt inverter plus a 2k yamaha suitcase generator. We snowbird in southern Arizona and boondock for four to seven days at a time. The nice thing about a good solar system in Arizona sunshine in the winter, is you rarely have to use the generator, but having a suitcase Honda , Yamaha or other 2k watt minimum generator is a must if you plan on being off grid. You may get cloudy or rainy days or excessive power drain that the generator will take care of. A couple of decisions we made for boondocking was to rule out power hungry devices that were not absolutely necessary to run off inverter power. The micro wave for one was ruled out right away. Toasters, hairdryers, drip coffee makers and other things that pull too much amperage are not used. In a smaller solar, inverter,, battery bank system, there are limits to accept, like not using
    AC . The coffee pot seems to be discussed a lot. We use the largest capacity double chamber expresso maker that is stainless steel and is heated on the propane stove. It makes two big cups of excellent coffee for my wife and I. It is such a great coffee maker that we don't even have a drip maker on board for when we have shore power. It's stainless, so its forever and quite bullit proof. We grind our coffee beans, as the inverter is wired to all the outlets in the coach. You could go with an old fashioned coffee pot on the burner as well. All our outlets are wired to the inverter. We regularly use tv, dvd player, kitchen aid mixer and other low amperage draw items. Our refridgerator is one of the biggest power hogs on the system. Its a 13 cu dbl door absortion running propane when off grid, but needs multiple fans running constantly to keep cool. Really cold nights with your furnace running can draw down your battery bank quite a bit also. I consider our system just about minimal for extended boondocking. My rig was not set up for solar either, other then a furrion plug in port going to the battery. I did all the installation myself and there is definitely some planning and electrical wiring knowledge required for a good working system. It's a 100% worth it if you really want to get out and stay in non crowded quiet places though.
    It is good to remind us that we all are still camping and sometimes "Roughing It" means no drip coffee maker.

It sounds like your system is robust enough to allow for some limited microwave use, especially on Sunny days when the electrons can easily be replenished.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have an Imagine 2500RL. I added 400 watts of solar panels, a 2000 watt inverter/charger, 200 ah lithium battery and a solar charger. We cannot run the ac with our setup. But can do everything else just fine. For coffee, I use the stove to heat water and use a pour over system. We went to Colorado last June and boondocked for 4 days. We only had direct sun for 2 1/2 hours a day and had no issues. We are going to Moab this March for 6 days and Boondocking. I did the work myself and spent a total of about $3600. I mounted the electronics under the bed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C30CD572-EED0-4494-9931-CA583C4B9E47.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	297.9 KB 
ID:	44463

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Muttoni View Post
    We have an Imagine 2500RL. I added 400 watts of solar panels, a 2000 watt inverter/charger, 200 ah lithium battery and a solar charger. We cannot run the ac with our setup. But can do everything else just fine. For coffee, I use the stove to heat water and use a pour over system. We went to Colorado last June and boondocked for 4 days. We only had direct sun for 2 1/2 hours a day and had no issues. We are going to Moab this March for 6 days and Boondocking. I did the work myself and spent a total of about $3600. I mounted the electronics under the bed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C30CD572-EED0-4494-9931-CA583C4B9E47.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	297.9 KB 
ID:	44463
    Looks like this is your first post to the forum, welcome aboard. And nice job with the install, thanks for sharing.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    It is good to remind us that we all are still camping and sometimes "Roughing It" means no drip coffee maker.

It sounds like your system is robust enough to allow for some limited microwave use, especially on Sunny days when the electrons can easily be replenished.
    I could use the mico wave during the day when solar would replenish the draw. However, I made the decision to not wire it into the inverter breaker feed. If I just had to use the micro while boondocking, I would start the generator up. I don't consider the coffee pot expresso maker roughing it. The thing makes such good coffee that we use the same one at home and have quit drip makers for years now. I guess for me, roughing it is not using the toaster in the morning while boondocking. However, I should rethink that. All outlets are wired to the inverter. I could replenish that English muffin session during the day easily, I suppose..😆
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have added both solar and generators to that model.
    If I were to start over again, I would skip the generators and go solar.
    That is something just from experience. I did generators first and actually had a side bar conversation one day with SolarPowerRV and he reignited my Solar curiosity. Now My dual fuel generators are a third fiddle backup. I can power both A/C units if needed (usually one is fine).

I have no idea about your knowledge of solar mine was zero.

Calculate your loads and think about what you want your system to do. A/C is a big factor but little stuff adds up.

If you are just starting look on amazon or youtube for Will Prowse Solar to help get your feet wet and learn to calculate loads.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Just remember Lithium is a gateway drug..... you will get hooked.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123