User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing a gD17MKE

Hello, I am looking at purchasing my very first RV and interested in the GD17MKE. Do you think I could easily tow it with a F150.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBGAME View Post
    Hello, I am looking at purchasing my very first RV and interested in the GD17MKE. Do you think I could easily tow it with a F150.
    First off, it looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum. The 17MKE is a great small trailer and could possibly be towed by an F150. We'd need to know a bit more about the capacity of your truck to say for sure. There are many threads on the forum concerning towing capacity (https://www.google.com/search?q=mygr...hrome&ie=UTF-8). The payload of your truck less passengers and other weight in the vehicle will give you an idea of what's left for the trailer. What sort of hitch were you considering?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is impossible to judge “your”ability to tow but I personally would have no problem at all with that combo
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing a gD17MKE

First, Welcome to the forum!

Looking at the specs for that rig it lists the GVWR as 6395 lbs. I believe that to be within the limits of a half ton truck (I use 7k as threshold).

The tongue weight will be between 640lbs and 960 lbs. At GVWR of 6395 and a 15% tongue weight to represent the max condition, you would still have about 600lbs of payload capacity (using 1500lbs as an average, you would need to look at your payload sticker in the drivers side door for exact numbers).

Unless you plan on being loaded to the max all the time or your tongue weight really comes to 15% (most are around 10-12%). I would say you are good.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truck is 2014 F150 XLT Super Crew 4x4 5.0L. I have a stock receiver with tow package and sway control.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBGAME View Post
    Truck is 2014 F150 XLT Super Crew 4x4 5.0L. I have a stock receiver with tow package and sway control.
    Welcome to the group, the 17mke is a popular tt. I'm sure you'll be fine with your truck but if you post a pic of the yellow sticker in the driver's door jam we will be able to say for sure if you can. Most important number is the payload #. It's on that sticker.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy peasy. You can tow that TT all day long with that truck. Looking at UVW stickers they seem to come from the factory at around 4700-4800 lbs. Add 800-1000 for camp stuf and you're at 57-5800lbs. easily doable for most all 1/2 tons.
    Hitch around 725 lbs or less shouldn't be enough to overload the truck with passengers and stuff.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have same trailer - you good to go

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over 10k miles on ours before we sold it, with the truck in my sig. Your truck is a great match for that trailer.

Highly recommend a good weight distributing hitch. Ford recommends one when towing above 5k lbs, plus it helps the ride. Enjoy the trailer!
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't say much about the truck, but you need an electric brake controller and a weight distributing hitch. You need to know the payload capacity of the truck and the fully loaded tongue weight of the trailer (with stuff, batteries and propane fully loaded), so you know how much stuff and people you can toss into the truck without overloading it.

We have a 18RBE pulled by a Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel engine, which pulls the trailer easily. But I do have to be aware of the truck's payload limit. Your '14 Ford F-150 with its 5.0 V8, properly equipped, should have no trouble with your trailer -- as long as you also stay under the truck's payload limits.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel