User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chevy Express 2500 or 3500 with 6.6L V8 Gas engine 6-speed heavy-duty auto Experience

Looking at the GD 2400BD and a tow vehicle being a 2023 Chevy Express 2500 or 2500 Passenger Van (GMC has the same van called Savanna) with 6.6L V8 Gas engine 6-speed heavy-duty auto. We don’t want a PU because we prefer the room in the passenger van for grandkids, kayaks and bike hauling. Very satisfying to just open the rear doors and heave the stuff in instead of mounting them on top of a roof. The Express passenger van seems to be enough for the tow task. It is however older technology compared to PUs. But it us also priced much lower. A drawback is it is rear drive and no AWD available.

Looking for anyone to share any experiences towing with CHevy or GMC passenger vans in the 2500 or 3500 series.

Thanks

Ron

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can’t speak directly, but I’m very interested in the responses you receive.

I did see that they can have 135” or 155” wheelbases. Assuming you meant the 2400BH, that is a trailer people often try with 145” wheelbase pickups. My recommendation based on that and my own experiences would be that you try for the extended wheelbase van.

From there I think payload is the key for you. Make sure you buy a van with enough capacity for everything you want to put in it plus 1000# on the hitch. I would guess a 2500 is enough for that trailer, but they do have a 3500 if not. If you can see them in person, take a look at actual numbers on the yellow sticker inside the driver’s door.

Good luck and I like the idea, especially with the 6.6 power train. It won’t want for power.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to tow our 28 ft TT with a full sized van . With a TT we liked the combo and versatility the van offered. Suggest you go with the 3500 and the extended long wheel base, also consider adding a leaf to the springs to help eliminate rear sag with the hitch weight and cargo in the back of the van.

Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 01-08-2023 at 09:31 PM. Reason: forgot to say welcome!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarz272000 View Post
    Looking at the GD 2400BD and a tow vehicle being a 2023 Chevy Express 2500 or 2500 Passenger Van (GMC has the same van called Savanna) with 6.6L V8 Gas engine 6-speed heavy-duty auto. We don’t want a PU because we prefer the room in the passenger van for grandkids, kayaks and bike hauling. Very satisfying to just open the rear doors and heave the stuff in instead of mounting them on top of a roof. The Express passenger van seems to be enough for the tow task. It is however older technology compared to PUs. But it us also priced much lower. A drawback is it is rear drive and no AWD available.

Looking for anyone to share any experiences towing with CHevy or GMC passenger vans in the 2500 or 3500 series.

Thanks

Ron
    I grew up in OH and my dad pulled our campers with vans and Suburbans at that time....neither were 4x4s and we were fine. I would agree that you should get the 3500 and ensure the payload numbers still work for what you will be hauling. If you plan to use the rig mostly at sea level and low altitudes....that engine and powertrain setup will be fine. If you intend to travel across the US where the altitudes are much higher....your engine will work harder thus the reason that many of us use diesels to pull. It's a personal choice based on camping style and traveling desires. Once you leave sea level....the non-turbo, non-supercharged engine power numbers start to decrease. Just something to note! Good luck with your journey and enjoy!
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Ron
    Welcome to the forum. One thing in your post jumped out at me, no all-wheel drive. That may not be an issue if your always on good roads, so think about where you might want to camp. If there are any rough surfaces involved, you may want a 4W drive.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group. I agree with @Soundsailor, I always recommend awd or 4wd. 4wd it is not just for snow or off-road, I needed mine when backing our tt on a really really wet soaked grass lot at the Wasaga Beach campground. It was a flat grassy lot. It just got real soft after 3 days of hard rain.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your comments. I did not realize the WB for std van was 135”. Thanks for that. I agree with the need for AWD especially since we live in Michigan. We went to local camper show to look at travel trailers. Very disappointing. We want less than 26 feet with bunks. The only model that impressed us was the Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE. I liked the Murphy bed. I did not think I would. It opens up the space nicely. GD has much better quality than any other brand from the ones that were there. But even at about $30k for the 21 BHE that troubled us. Prices are coming down but quality as well. Many RVs bathroom took up about 1/3 of the unit. Not something we like.

So we will not get an Express van because we decided the cost for the TV and RV is not worth the times we would use them. Probably look to rent them and get a nicer vehicle to travel. Will look for a GD RV for sure to rent. Thanks for ur comments.

Happy, safe travels.
    Ron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your comments. I did not realize the WB for std van was 135”. Thanks for that. I agree with the need for AWD especially since we live in Michigan. We went to local camper show to look at travel trailers. Very disappointing. We want less than 26 feet with bunks. The only model that impressed us was the Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE. I liked the Murphy bed. I did not think I would. It opens up the space nicely. GD has much better quality than any other brand from the ones that were there. But even at about $30k for the 21 BHE that troubled us. Prices are coming down but quality as well. Many RVs bathroom took up about 1/3 of the unit. Not something we like.

So we will not get an Express van because we decided the cost for the TV and RV is not worth the times we would use them. Probably look to rent them and get a nicer vehicle to travel. Will look for a GD RV for sure to rent. Thanks for ur comments.

Happy, safe travels.
    Ron
    There’s at least a few options to make the Express 4x4;

https://www.quigley4x4.com/products/gm/

https://timberlinesupply.com/collect...ndard-lift-1-3

https://weldtecdesigns.com/product/w...n-torsion-bar/

Look around the more “overland” oriented websites and you might find one for sale already converted to 4x4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by That 1 Ron View Post
    There’s at least a few options to make the Express 4x4;

https://www.quigley4x4.com/products/gm/

https://timberlinesupply.com/collect...ndard-lift-1-3

https://weldtecdesigns.com/product/w...n-torsion-bar/

Look around the more “overland” oriented websites and you might find one for sale already converted to 4x4.
    This forum is amazing!! Another thing I would have never thought of. Thanks for that. I am in no hurry. So maybe I will keep an eye out for a used converted 4x4 van. The Nissan full size passenger van is a quigley conversion product. That could be another option.

RON

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed a 2021 2450rl for two years with a 12 passenger 2019 Express 2500. I bought it one year old and it was just over half the cost of a used crew cab 4wd truck with the same engine. With 2300lb of payload, it had no trouble carrying the trailer and all our stuff. It had the 6.0 with 6 speed and did not have trouble pulling 7500lb trailer. I now have a 2022 Silverado HD with the 6.6 engine and 6 speed. The 6.6 is a beast and hardly notices the trailer - downshifting less than the 6.0. Once I got rid of the crap OEM tires for something with tread the performance in snow was pretty good. If ordering new, definitely opt for the $300 G80 limited slip.

I never got stuck or had a wheel slip. For insurance I carried a professional tow bridle, soft shackles, and a 30,000lb tow strap. Like most insurance, I never needed them and, all in, that cost less than $150 vs the cost of a 4wd truck. I only switched to a truck due to back problems and needing a different seat.
    Last edited by eeshelman; 01-22-2023 at 06:20 PM.