User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charge wire not fused at the coach

I decided to rework the daisy-chained mess that surrounded the 12v batts in our 310gk, before I install the genny and take up most of the working room. The batt covers were never installed properly either. I installed a ground bus, a 12v bus, and otherwise inspected what feeds what. The 10ga charge wire coming from the truck is NOT fused on the coach end (at least not in the front compartment). For any fault on that wire, even tho the truck fuse will clear, the coach batts will continue to feed the fault until the wire burns up. Maybe mine is one of a kind, but others might want to check. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCB9B0FE-3986-4D5D-A2CD-02A3615F5458.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	876.3 KB 
ID:	44395
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    I decided to rework the daisy-chained mess that surrounded the 12v batts in our 310gk, before I install the genny and take up most of the working room. The batt covers were never installed properly either. I installed a ground bus, a 12v bus, and otherwise inspected what feeds what. The 10ga charge wire coming from the truck is NOT fused on the coach end (at least not in the front compartment). For any fault on that wire, even tho the truck fuse will clear, the coach batts will continue to feed the fault until the wire burns up. Maybe mine is one of a kind, but others might want to check.
    Thanks for the heads up. Yes, there are quite a few head-scratchers on how GD does their wiring. One on my coach is the lack of any fusing on the leads from the solar panel.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    I decided to rework the daisy-chained mess that surrounded the 12v batts in our 310gk, before I install the genny and take up most of the working room. The batt covers were never installed properly either. I installed a ground bus, a 12v bus, and otherwise inspected what feeds what. The 10ga charge wire coming from the truck is NOT fused on the coach end (at least not in the front compartment). For any fault on that wire, even tho the truck fuse will clear, the coach batts will continue to feed the fault until the wire burns up. Maybe mine is one of a kind, but others might want to check. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCB9B0FE-3986-4D5D-A2CD-02A3615F5458.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	876.3 KB 
ID:	44395
    You have hit on a big issue in my opinion. I’ve read a post on this forum somewhere (I looked but couldn’t find it again) about someone who suffered a significant fire in the front of their RV because of a short in the tow vehicle wiring somewhere between the 7-way plug and the battery compartment - exactly the situation you bring up. As you state, this should only apply to the +12v feed from the truck, the only one connected to the RV battery. Before my next trip, I’m going to find the end of that wire where it connects to the RV 12v wiring and put a fuse in it. Your picture should help in locating it. Thanks.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    Before my next trip, I’m going to find the end of that wire where it connects to the RV 12v wiring and put a fuse in it.
    This is good info. Instead of a fuse, I might suggest this device & pick the amperage of your choice.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LYG7ZYF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71B12+Cyk5L._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	45663
    signature

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have hit on a big issue in my opinion. I’ve read a post on this forum somewhere (I looked but couldn’t find it again) about someone who suffered a significant fire in the front of their RV because of a short in the tow vehicle wiring somewhere between the 7-way plug and the battery compartment - exactly the situation you bring up.
    That was the class action post against Forest River.

You have to like consistency - note the nice little cover we have. Ignore the wires going everywhere - was in the middle of re-installing the lithiums that the dealer tech obviously did not know how to install.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery compartment (2).jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	45664
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charge wire not fused at the coach

How many amps should that be fused for?

Saw the link @jjbbrewer, do you think 60 amp is too much?

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you state, this should only apply to the +12v feed from the truck, the only one connected to the RV battery. Before my next trip, I’m going to find the end of that wire where it connects to the RV 12v wiring and put a fuse in it. Your picture should help in locating it. Thanks.
    Wouldn't that +12vdc line be protected by a fuse in the truck?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    How many amps should that be fused for?

Saw the link @jjbbrewer, do you think 60 amp is too much?

Bill
    Wouldn't it be same amperage as the truck fuse? I'm trying to think what the RV batts would feed in the truck?
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Wouldn't it be same amperage as the truck fuse? I'm trying to think what the RV batts would feed in the truck?
    The truck feeds the battery. 12v pos from 7 pin charges the batts when connected. The truck is fused, but the wires from the 7 pin on the rig to the battery is not protected.
    Never really thought about it until the class action. Never had an issue, but the cb is cheap insurance.

I’m thinking 20 or 30 amp maybe.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    The truck feeds the battery. 12v pos from 7 pin charges the batts when connected. The truck is fused, but the wires from the 7 pin on the rig to the battery is not protected.
    Never really thought about it until the class action. Never had an issue, but the cb is cheap insurance.

I’m thinking 20 or 30 amp maybe.

Bill
    My charge wire is a 10 gauge. I wouldn’t fuse higher than 30a if yours is the same.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast