Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T-mobile home Internet update

I had a few people ask about how my T-Mobile Home Internet worked on the road and we used used it for an entire camping season.

If you read on the website it says if you move, you need to call. A Technician I spoke to says what will happen is if you are not in the area where you stated you were, you would get de-prioritized. We did not run into this at all since most of the places we went to were not near major cities.

The reason I went with the Home Internet is due to security at my job and hotspots do not play well with our configuration. No need to get into it, it is what it is and Boss is not willing to change it.

When not on the road, it is plugged into the Home. Save money with one solution.

T-Mobile is constantly adding more 5G towers (forgot to mention the device is 5G only) which is nice.

One of the minor issues we have is that you have to place it in the best spot in the RV. Sometimes it is the table, one time it was on the bed. I am looking into an inexpensive booster for it. I would prefer something that wouldn't require running 50ft of cable.

So, that is it. So far so good. Unlimited data is always a plus and we have yet to have an slow down issues.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know. We switched to tmobile about 3 months ago, been working well enough at home. I was curious what would happen if we took it on the road.
    However, need to maintain wifi at home for the security system, but could solve that with a cheap Visible mobile phone set to hotspot while we're away - that's about $100-150 for the phone and $25/month for service.

Note: We worked full time on the road over Christmas and my data allotment on my Verizon mifi device ran out with a few more days to go. We switched over to our respective Visible mobiles for the rest of the week with no issues - zoom, streaming, netflix, etc. Visible is allegedly "unlimited", at least up to 250 gb. The rep I spoke with at Visible explains this is to block business accounts trying to masquerade as private users and he hadn't see anyone get throttled other than that. My only worry using those fulltime is bandwith on the phones as hotspots can be iffy at times.
    Last edited by JM0397; 01-09-2023 at 11:15 AM.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I had a few people ask about how my T-Mobile Home Internet worked on the road and we used used it for an entire camping season.

If you read on the website it says if you move, you need to call. A Technician I spoke to says what will happen is if you are not in the area where you stated you were, you would get de-prioritized. We did not run into this at all since most of the places we went to were not near major cities.

The reason I went with the Home Internet is due to security at my job and hotspots do not play well with our configuration. No need to get into it, it is what it is and Boss is not willing to change it.

When not on the road, it is plugged into the Home. Save money with one solution.

T-Mobile is constantly adding more 5G towers (forgot to mention the device is 5G only) which is nice.

One of the minor issues we have is that you have to place it in the best spot in the RV. Sometimes it is the table, one time it was on the bed. I am looking into an inexpensive booster for it. I would prefer something that wouldn't require running 50ft of cable.

So, that is it. So far so good. Unlimited data is always a plus and we have yet to have an slow down issues.
    I'd love to get it, but every address we have access to, it's not available, yet.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I'd love to get it, but every address we have access to, it's not available, yet.
    People are still running into that issue in our area that want Starlink.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are out in the country a bit and I tried to get T-Mobile home internet and also tried Verizon Home internet.....neither of them are available at my address. I had even thought about Starlink too, yep, you guessed it, not available until sometimes in 2023 when I checked last fall. So I've got Xfinity on a one year plan that will go up in pricing after the one year time period. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe T-Mobile will be available in our area by then. I just don't want to pay the total cost for getting Starlink.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    We are out in the country a bit and I tried to get T-Mobile home internet and also tried Verizon Home internet.....neither of them are available at my address. I had even thought about Starlink too, yep, you guessed it, not available until sometimes in 2023 when I checked last fall. So I've got Xfinity on a one year plan that will go up in pricing after the one year time period. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe T-Mobile will be available in our area by then. I just don't want to pay the total cost for getting Starlink.
    We got Starlink since we are full-time and I work remote full-time; it was more of a need than a want.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    You can get Starlink now, you'll just have to call it the "mobile plan". I have the same issue, not available at home yet but allegedly coming this year, sometime. I'm holding off because home plan with mobile option sounds better to me than full mobile plan. You can read up on the details in the threads here and also Starlink's home page.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    You can get Starlink now, you'll just have to call it the "mobile plan". I have the same issue, not available at home yet but allegedly coming this year, sometime. I'm holding off because home plan with mobile option sounds better to me than full mobile plan. You can read up on the details in the threads here and also Starlink's home page.
    Thanks for the info. I'm probably just going to coast along on the Xfinity until I get within a month or so of the one year deal expiring and see if T-Mobile had added our address area yet for the home internet...or even Verizon. Starlink is still in the running, but I have to say that it's at the bottom of the list because of the initial cost of equipment and monthly fees for service. It would be used strictly at the house.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"