User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Power" to the People....via Westinghouse

So after we had some rolling Blackouts here over a two day period, AND the temperatures were hovering in the low single digits, I finally decided to get something that I've wanted for a while. We've had a generator here at the house since at least 2012, but it certainly wasn't large enough to run the AC/Heat Pump, so the gas fireplace and enough power to run some fans to move the air, plus run some lights and the refrigerators, was about the extent of it. We had talked about stationary whole house generators before, but between the cost of the equipment, having to get a large enough Propane tank, trenching the line for it to the generator, it was going to be much more money than we wanted to spend for the time it would be used. So after this latest round of being up the creek without a large enough paddle, I pulled the trigger on a portable generator that should do just fine.

Up until this point in time, I didn't realize that anyone made a portable generator this large, and when I started looking into the specs, I was impressed for sure. So here is a pic of what I have ordered, and hopefully arriving in mid February......

This runs on gasoline (plenty of it to be sure) and has a low THD rating of 5 or less. Most power companies are within that range of THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) and that is what many folks will call "clean power"....in other words it should be perfectly OK for sensitive electronics without causing harm. So of course Electric start, low oil pressure shut off, and all the normal things. But the power output is larger than some whole house generators......20,000W running and 28,000W peak. Instead of just one 50A cord from the generator to the house generator inlet, there are TWO. 20Kw is huge for a portable generator and will be more than enough to power the AC unit or even the heat pump....even if it has kicked in the 10Kw backup heat. Should be able to run both refrigerators, the Electric water heater, maybe even a burner on the electric stove. Our house is total electric except for the propane fireplace I installed about 7 or 8 years ago....and that tank is on the opposite side of the house than where my electric service come in. I've purchased pretty much all the cords and genny inlet boxes, a new inlet breaker for my house panel (I already had the breaker interlock on it from my existing generator being tied in), and wiring. I did make sure that the delivery will be lift gate service, as this thing weighs in at about 540 lbs.....but does have wheels on it for "portability"...LOL! So, I now know what one of my upcoming spring projects is going to be.
    Last edited by xrated; 01-09-2023 at 12:11 PM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. Is it EFI?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Congratulations. Is it EFI?

Rob
    No, it's carbureted...but I'm a huge believer in Sta-Bil. It's really hard to find something this big...AND EFI...AND low THD unless you get into the Generac Whole House units, and then you're talking probably in the $12,000 range for the generator, the install of all the equipment, the propane tank and running the line to it....plus the automatic transfer switch.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.

I’m always concerned with fuel consumption, since a widespread power outage can effect gas stations too. Vehicles are a potential source of fuel, but at multiple gallons per hour it takes a lot to keep a generator that big fed. Just guessing, but about 4 gallons an hour at full load. That’s 100 gallons a day, though real numbers will be lower. It still takes some planning.

I have a smaller generator that requires selective hookups to power things as needed. I have a pouch taped to the generator with extra spark plugs, a spare carburetor, spare fuel filter, a squeeze siphon pump and a flashlight etc. You don’t want to be messing with a generator that won’t run when you need it.

Rather than running it monthly, I fully drain the tank and carb after use and flush them out with Seafoam.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea 28KW portable generators were available, but it looks like a very durable unit. Very impressive.

I had a 10KW portable that I converted to NG, but before the conversion it would burn about 1 gallon gasoline per hr at about half load.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Interesting.

I’m always concerned with fuel consumption, since a widespread power outage can effect gas stations too. Vehicles are a potential source of fuel, but at multiple gallons per hour it takes a lot to keep a generator that big fed. Just guessing, but about 4 gallons an hour at full load. That’s 100 gallons a day, though real numbers will be lower. It still takes some planning.

I have a smaller generator that requires selective hookups to power things as needed. I have a pouch taped to the generator with extra spark plugs, a spare carburetor, spare fuel filter, a squeeze siphon pump and a flashlight etc. You don’t want to be messing with a generator that won’t run when you need it.

Rather than running it monthly, I fully drain the tank and carb after use and flush them out with Seafoam.
    Those are all valid points and certainly something to be able to deal with. I have three 5 gallon gasoline jugs, plus a 14 gallon container that is on wheels. If push came to shove, there is usually gas in the toy hauler tanks also...and those are 12VDC and run off of the onboard battery of the trailer. They claim 1.7 gallons/hour on 50% load, and honestly, unless it is so cold like it was last time, the heat pump can keep up with house demands until it down to around 21/22 degrees outside. If the backup heat has to come on, that's when the consumption would really kick in....a 10Kw electric heat strip. Other wise, it just a 2 1/2 ton AC/heat pump. I just don't ever want to be in a position of not being able to provide heat for us and the dog if/when it is that cold and the power is out. I do plan on putting stabilizer in all the fuel that goes in it and get on a schedule of exercising it on a bi-monthly basis. Heck, I'm retired, what else is there to do?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I had no idea 28KW portable generators were available, but it looks like a very durable unit. Very impressive.

I had a 10KW portable that I converted to NG, but before the conversion it would burn about 1 gallon gasoline per hr at about half load.
    Well, that 28Kw rating is the peak number and 20Kw is the actual running number, but yea, that is still huge and like you, I had no idea until I started researching this a few weeks ago.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Well, that 28Kw rating is the peak number and 20Kw is the actual running number, but yea, that is still huge and like you, I had no idea until I started researching this a few weeks ago.
    At 540 lbs it must be well constructed. I now have a 22KW Generac whole house and I don't think it weighs that much.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    No, it's carbureted...but I'm a huge believer in Sta-Bil. It's really hard to find something this big...AND EFI...AND low THD unless you get into the Generac Whole House units, and then you're talking probably in the $12,000 range for the generator, the install of all the equipment, the propane tank and running the line to it....plus the automatic transfer switch.
    I am suspicious of anything labeled "Westinghouse" after dealing with Westinghouse branded TVs and other consumer goods in the last 10 years. They are a domestic design house with only a token historical relationship to the large historic manufacturing firm. Its actual manufacturing is in China and Vietnam (see their web site). Since you have already bought it, I suggest you find out who really made the engine and make sure that you have key parts on hand.

Beware also of large gasoline powered generator issues. You will need to use and store lots of it for a long term. Use Stabil. Be careful where you store the gas and make sure the tanks are sealed. Don't store it inside the house or inside a shed or place where it can get hot..

Ultimately we went with a whole house generator of about 10,000 watts powered by propane. We also use propane for heat, hot water, cooking and dryer.
    Last edited by Dadeo6472; 01-09-2023 at 09:10 PM.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    I am suspicious of anything labeled "Westinghouse" after dealing with Westinghouse branded TVs and other consumer goods in the last 10 years. They are a domestic design house with only a token historical relationship to the large historic manufacturing firm. Its actual manufacturing is in China and Vietnam (see their web site). Since you have already bought it, I suggest you find out who really made the engine and make sure that you have key parts on hand.

Beware also of large gasoline powered generator issues. You will need to use and store lots of it for a long term. Use Stabil. Be careful where you store the gas and make sure the tanks are sealed. Don't store it inside the house or inside a shed or place where it can get hot..

Ultimately we went with a whole house generator of about 10,000 watts powered by propane. We also use propane for heat, hot water, cooking and dryer.
    Thank you for that info. One of the the most important things to consider in selecting a whole house generator, or in this case...a "portable" generator is the Total Harmonic Distortion (T.H.D) that the generator produces. THD from local utility companies are normally in the equal to or less than 5 THD. What that means is that there is NOT a lot of "noise" being generated from the generator as far as the electrical sinewave shape. As the THD number begins to creep upward, the results are many times detrimental to sensitive electronics that use 120V power to operate. And it's not just your computers, many, many appliances in the modern day home have sensitive electronics in them as part of the control systems to make them operate...refrigerators, stoves, microwaves, Air Conditioning equipment, even LED lighting. So obviously, you don't want "dirty" power coming into your house, and the utility companies do a good job of producing low THD power, even though there is no established/mandated rule/law that dictates the amount of THD that they have to abide by. It's no different when the power goes out and you have a standby generator that you are using to power your house during times of utility outages. You want the cleanest power that you can get and or afford. After all, it make little sense to buy a generator that has 15, 18, sometimes more THD numbers, and use it to power your house during an outage, only to find that it has fried the circuit boards and controls of your nice large refrigerator, or the electronics on your A/C unit, or your large screen TV. If it does, it will definitely make you consider your choice of standby power generation and the THD it produces. By then, it's too late and the damage is done and it's time to replace some costly appliances or A/C units....or at a minimum, a service call to have them repaired with new parts. So, low THD is very important, and this is one of the few large generators (excepting the whole house permanently mounted) that have a THD in the 5 or less range.

Obviously, quality and reliability are important factors too, when it comes time to spend you $$$. The Westinghouse brand generally receives very good ratings for overall quality and reliability, and the published THD is low. That's not to say that they are perfect, but then again, nothing is. But I do believe that it will be a good choice from a value, reliability, and quality standpoint, without delving into the whole house generators that are permanently installed, run off of large propane tanks, and are into the 10K to 12K price range, and up, for purchase and install of everything involved in a finished job. Of course, time will tell and hopefully it will be a good decision for me. I felt pretty helpless when we went through two days of rolling blackouts in our area because of the extreme demand on the TVA sourced power and the local utilities having to reduce power consumption at a 5 to 10% level, as mandated by TVA...the supplier of the power to the local utilities. With an all electric house, and temperatures in the low single digits for several days in a row, I knew that there was just simply nothing I could do to keep the house fairly warm if the power went out for an extended time. This addition will hopefully be a game changer in that regard.
    Last edited by xrated; 01-10-2023 at 05:53 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast