User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Well now, since I dont have solar yet (phase 4 of my project), I'm leaning towards accelerating installing the DC to DC unit. We will sometimes boondock or use HH/BW for a day or 2 while on our trips. I could disable the charging from our TV but then I would have to rely on our geny if we run out or to low (not likely to really happen with 305ah with no invertor use).
    Larry, can you re-post that link. The video was only 2min on the one you posted originally.
    I don't know how much solar you are planning on...Or how big of a problem using the generator would be... But you might consider skipping the DC to DC altogther. I am not going to install one, as I simply do not need any more charging from the TV.You may find the same as well.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    Unless you change the stock wiring on the truck you do not need to do anything. It will not hurt the trucks alternator. The issues you see floating around the internet are caused by bypassing the trucks 7 pin and connecting directly to the alternator.

I get around 7 amps to the trailers batteries while towing. Almost enough to keep up with the residential fridge draw.
    I have measured the same 7A from my SuperDuty into the Lithiums. Has never been an issue for me.
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I will eventually be installing a DC to DC unit. It is the safest and most efficient way of charging from a TV. There's just a few other things that I have to do first like replacing the convertor/charger to lithium compatible and the unit that I currently have is the all in one. So the entire breaker/fuse panel has to be replaced.
    In the meantime I was hoping to stay as is with a little charge coming from the alternator but not at the expense of it failing.
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, hold the horses there. If you have a reasonable access to the breaker/fuse panel in the rear, there is no good reason that you cannot just unplug the OEM converter/charger, install a standalone converter/charger that is LFP compatible, and run the DC cables over to your present breaker/fuse panel. If the OEM converter can be removed, you could do that, but at a minimum, you just unplug it from the 120VAC or unwire it if there is no plug in. Remove the 12VDC cables from the fuse panel and wire in your new floor mount stand alone Lithium charger/converter.

And if I'm not mistaken, those "all in one" breaker/fuse panels can have the built in converter charger replaced with a Lithium one without replacing the whole panel. There are definitely other options than replacing the entire breaker/fuse panel.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I will eventually be installing a DC to DC unit. It is the safest and most efficient way of charging from a TV. There's just a few other things that I have to do first like replacing the convertor/charger to lithium compatible and the unit that I currently have is the all in one. So the entire breaker/fuse panel has to be replaced.
    In the meantime I was hoping to stay as is with a little charge coming from the alternator but not at the expense of it failing.
    I've had charging engaged through the 7-pin connector for the past season with no apparent damage to the alternator. That being said, I have a DC-to-DC charger waiting to be hooked up. 30 Amps is way more useful than the trickle I'm getting now.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I don't know how much solar you are planning on...Or how big of a problem using the generator would be... But you might consider skipping the DC to DC altogther. I am not going to install one, as I simply do not need any more charging from the TV.You may find the same as well.
    Great idea! I've given it lots of thought and am doing the same thing. I was planning to expand my solar footprint anyway....why add another device and more work! The solar can charge while I am driving when the batteries require it. I've been allowing my OEM 225A alternator to trickle charge my older LiPO4 batteries while driving and it's been fine. I'm good with simpler...

Also I am not a ful-timer so my answers and rationale are likely different from others......
    Last edited by COGrandDes; 01-11-2023 at 03:23 PM.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, hold the horses there. If you have a reasonable access to the breaker/fuse panel in the rear, there is no good reason that you cannot just unplug the OEM converter/charger, install a standalone converter/charger that is LFP compatible, and run the DC cables over to your present breaker/fuse panel. If the OEM converter can be removed, you could do that, but at a minimum, you just unplug it from the 120VAC or unwire it if there is no plug in. Remove the 12VDC cables from the fuse panel and wire in your new floor mount stand alone Lithium charger/converter.

And if I'm not mistaken, those "all in one" breaker/fuse panels can have the built in converter charger replaced with a Lithium one without replacing the whole panel. There are definitely other options than replacing the entire breaker/fuse panel.
    I believe that xrated is correct. BattleBorn sells the "guts" for some of the integrated breaker panel chargers that are meant for Lithium. Not sure how wide the offering is though.
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post

LMAO Full stop captain. LOL
    From everything that I have read so far, the WFCO 8735 is fully integrated. And correct me if I'm wrong. Some other all in one models have a module that you can replace to be lithium compatible but not this one apparently. The replacement that is lithium compatible is PD 4135. Its not a big panel like in the larger 5th wheels but its just not a flexible. Just another mod to do.
    Here's a few pics that I found on here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WFCO 8735 - GD PN 430057.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	548.8 KB 
ID:	44426

Name:	8735 Power Center.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	44427
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From everything that I have read so far, the WFCO 8735 is fully integrated. And correct me if I'm wrong. Some other all in one models have a module that you can replace to be lithium compatible but not this one apparently. The replacement that is lithium compatible is PD 4135. Its not a big panel like in the larger 5th wheels but its just not a flexible. Just another mod to do.

Is there a fuse for the converter portion that can be removed to disable the charging/converter functionality? If so, you could leave it disabled and then add the stand alone charger/converter as noted?
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    I've had charging engaged through the 7-pin connector for the past season with no apparent damage to the alternator. That being said, I have a DC-to-DC charger waiting to be hooked up. 30 Amps is way more useful than the trickle I'm getting now.
    My mind is back at ease now that I've read members keeping the 7-pin as is. I just got worried after seeing and reading on the web the issues surrounding the alternator not realizing that they had altered the original setup.
    I will stay the course with my project phases and if I see any issues come up I will simply disconnect PIN 4 at the trailer end as suggested.
    Thanks you all.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it looks like you are correct. I knew that there are some that you can just change the converter/charger without changing the entire panel, but I also did NOT know that there were some that you couldn't change out just the converter/charger. Looks like you drew the short straw on this one.....sorry. If you are like me, it's just another project on the seemingly long list of possible projects to undertake.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast