User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana H View Post
    What is your Steer axle weight of the truck only, no trailer?
    You mentioned your front height within 1/8"; is that after WDH engaged and if so, 1/8 higher?
    You may be putting too much weight back onto the front axle (tends to bounce the rear more).

Your tires may contribute to the bounce if you have 17 or 18s,
    so I would air them all up to max cold before towing.
    If your tongue weight is right at 960lbs, adding passengers and other stuff in the truck will put you near your max payload.
    Last, if your tow vehicle is the 2018 in the signature, your shocks may be wore out.
    TAMRICK,
    I don't have steer axle weight w/o trailer.
    My front end is 1/8" higher so as I understand this should not be putting too much load towards the front. See attached report.
    Truck has 20" wheel with a max air psi of 51psi. I typically run at 40# psi (as opposed to the 35# door sticker) but will test, till I upgrade my tires.
    I agree my tires aren't helping and they are in the plan to upgrade when replaced. I don't consider this a safety problem but will upgrade in the future.
    Tongue weight is typically loaded for a trip, on this particular trip I had more fresh water about 1/2 tank, typically I shoot for 1/3 of a tank with the black and gray water one empty.
    This is the CAT Scale report numbers entered to this report using towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingScaledWeights.
    Attachment 44428
    I only have 23000 miles on the truck and only about 7500 miles towing and don't think the shocks (RANCHO OFF ROAD) are causing any problems yet.

My plan will be to measure the gap between the axle and frame to see what clearance I can expect and factor that into my choice.

I'm still leaning towards the Sumo springs just not sure which ones Blue or Black, i definitely think the Yellows will be to stiff.

We probably be planning a short trip in the near future so I'll definitely try raising the tire pressures to 45# or 50# in truck tires and determine how that effects the bounce.

Again thanks to you and others with the help and experience in making my decision.[/QUOTE]

Well that 1/8" is right on target. Since you have 20's, I'm thinking they are not contributing much to the bounce, depending on the sidewall height.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrick View Post
    TAMRICK,
    I'm still leaning towards the Sumo springs just not sure which ones Blue or Black, i definitely think the Yellows will be to stiff.
    I've come to the decision to go with the "BLUE" Sumo spring.
    Found some more information that the Black and Yellow are used for "constantly loaded commercial applications".
    I made some measurements and I calculated there will be about a 2" gap when unloaded and between 1" to 0.5" when the TT is attached.
    The springs are rated for a 1000# so definitely in the range of WDH system when engaged with the typical 940# tongue weight with about 600# on the rear roughly 60% of its 1000# capacity.
    My expectation would be the springs will be active in it's low range when towing until bumps and such are encounter the spring will engage some where in its middle to full range while managing the bounce/jounce.
    Also found them with a 15% discount at Auto Anything.
    After reading several reviews across several sites it appears most are satisfied with their performance, and hopefully me too.
    Again thanks to the list for there help and ideas.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123