Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to RVing while eyeballing the 16ML

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to RVing and in the shopping process right now.. I've looked at lots and the one that is shining the most is this - https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...loorplans/16ml

its a single axle lightweight TT, folks are saying its nice but I'm better off with a tandem axle.. Anybody here happen to have this unit or any other of the AIM units? or does anyone have a single axle TT and how does it tow?

Also I would like to dry camp, boon dock in conjunction with RV and state park camp with shore power... This rig comes standard with a 200W solar panel, a 30amp charge controller and a 12v fridge.. The optional AIM package has a additional 200w panel, a 2000w inverter, Untamed terrain tires and other stuff..

I sleep using a CPAP so for dry camping and boondocking, would it be ideal to get this rig with the optional AIM Package for the extra panel and most importantly the inverter? please advise. all perspectives are welcomed.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to RVing while eyeballing the 16ML

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the RV world as I'm in the process of shopping for my first TT.. I've looked at tons till the point they are all starting to look alike.. however this TT - https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...loorplans/16ml

is seriously growing on me and it seems to be one of the best well built solid rigs out there.. folks are saying don't get a single axle get a tandem axle instead.. well this is all about affordability.. does anyone here happen to have this unit or another unit in the AIM lineup or a single axle rig? how does it tow and is a single axle more worrisome? it some standard with a 200w solar panel, a 30amp charge controller and a 12v fridge..

there is a optional package called the AIM Package which has a additional 200w panel, 2000w inverter, untamed terrain tires and other stuff too..

with me having apnea and using a CPAP to sleep, would getting this optional AIM pkg be idea so I can dry camp, boondock? I don't want to be confined to just RV and State park camping with shore power, I'd like to get away and be off grid.. Please advise. all perspectives are welcome

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest issues with trailers like that is you will always be over the gvwr.
    I had a Jayco 17a single axle and I was way over gross

You won’t have 700 lbs to load stuff
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The biggest issues with trailers like that is you will always be over the gvwr.
    I had a Jayco 17a single axle and I was way over gross

You won’t have 700 lbs to load stuff
    I see what you are saying.. I had to look this up and 1,027lbs is the max I would be able to load.. however its just me.. My ex GF weighed 600lbs but we broke up so thats no longer an issues..

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyjCSLT22 View Post
    I see what you are saying.. I had to look this up and 1,027lbs is the max I would be able to load.. however its just me.. My ex GF weighed 600lbs but we broke up so thats no longer an issues..
    The actual weight of the unit sitting in your driveway will be 200-300 lbs heavier than the advertised weight
    It doesn’t really matter how many stay in the trailer the gear needed to camp is still relatively the same plus with plans to boondock, carrying water will put you over. Just my 2 cents
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyjCSLT22 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to RVing and in the shopping process right now.. I've looked at lots and the one that is shining the most is this - https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...loorplans/16ml

its a single axle lightweight TT, folks are saying its nice but I'm better off with a tandem axle.. Anybody here happen to have this unit or any other of the AIM units? or does anyone have a single axle TT and how does it tow?

Also I would like to dry camp, boon dock in conjunction with RV and state park camp with shore power... This rig comes standard with a 200W solar panel, a 30amp charge controller and a 12v fridge.. The optional AIM package has a additional 200w panel, a 2000w inverter, Untamed terrain tires and other stuff..

I sleep using a CPAP so for dry camping and boondocking, would it be ideal to get this rig with the optional AIM Package for the extra panel and most importantly the inverter? please advise. all perspectives are welcomed.
    Agree that a dual-axle trailer has advantages. As far as your power needs are concerned, if you're planning on camping off-grid with a CPAP, you could get a 12-volt adapter for your CPAP. However, the upgraded solar package would add an inverter so you could then run the CPAP on AC power. It sounds like you're going to be off-grid a bit, the beefier solar package will come in handy in that scenario. You may want to add some improved battery capacity, the battery that comes stock won't power an inverter for very long.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duplicate threads merged.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    The actual weight of the unit sitting in your driveway will be 200-300 lbs heavier than the advertised weight
    It doesn’t really matter how many stay in the trailer the gear needed to camp is still relatively the same plus with plans to boondock, carrying water will put you over. Just my 2 cents
    I see.. I didn't know that, btw, the ex GF comment was for comedy.. its just me and has been for a while. I'm not sure I'll have 700lbs worth of stuff for myself..

but are you suggesting against a trailer this size let alone this actual trailer?

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Agree that a dual-axle trailer has advantages. As far as your power needs are concerned, if you're planning on camping off-grid with a CPAP, you could get a 12-volt adapter for your CPAP. However, the upgraded solar package would add an inverter so you could then run the CPAP on AC power. It sounds like you're going to be off-grid a bit, the beefier solar package will come in handy in that scenario. You may want to add some improved battery capacity, the battery that comes stock won't power an inverter for very long.

I'd like to the the AIM Pkg that has the extra panel and the inverter.. then down the road or maybe sooner switch out the 12v deep cycles for 2x 100ah lith ion batteries.. do you believe this will work?

I like RV Park camping, but I just don't want to be confined to just that..

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Duplicate threads merged.

Rob
    Umm, was there another thread?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast