User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MSRP - Why Bother?

Just another wandering thought from me on a rainy morning.....

If we keep looking for 20% to 30% discounts off of RVs; and if dealers keep accepting those discounts.....

Why bother making the MSRP so high to begin with?

Clearly economics may not be my my strong point.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there are enough non-informed consumers that know price negotiation is an option and just pay what the dealer asks. Not everyone is a well educated consumer.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rain is clearing out here this morning... but I have no idea. It's not just the RV industry, either. Autos, healthcare, and a number of industries do things this way, too. In acute healthcare (inpatient care in hospitals), the cost-to-charge ratio is usually about 0.3 (meaning it costs the hospital about 30% of what it charges to care for the patient). However, Medicare and other insurers pay only 1 - 3% above the actual costs - nowhere near the charges. Whether buying a car or truck, buying an RV, or paying for our healthcare, it's a concept I've never understood. Perhaps a famous economist will come along and help us out...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I think there are enough non-informed consumers that know price negotiation is an option and just pay what the dealer asks. Not everyone is a well educated consumer.
    That's exactly correct FT4NOW. Plus, the MSRP price sheet gives the dealer something that you can see and they can try to make their argument with...."This is the MSRP.....I can't sell it below that price....at least not for more than a couple of percentage points". Plus it all comes down to supply and demand to determine who has the advantage in negotiations. An informed consumer is a well armed consumer in the price war battle.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    ...one born every minute.... dealers love those types. Infact, they even like to throw in a few extras!

And as far as listing at MSRP, it always easier to work down than up... Makes the "non-informed" ones think they're getting a deal... Occasionally though, I've come across a few dealers who are more concerned about "return" customers. Those dealers realize the American throw-away/trade-up mentality. They look for the next, or word of mouth, sale by dealing at discount.

In my experience of purchasing vehicles, boats, RVs, etc over the years, the discount dealers are always busy even during the bad times.... with faces I've typically seen before, both customers and sales folks.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I take a bit of an issue with the premise that "we're smarter than the average bear". How many have you ever met that didn't know that cars, boats, rv's, etc could be bought for less than MSRP? Some may not care to play the negotiation game, but they chose to not do it. It seems a bit broad to assume that everyone else is a fool, except you and me.

trailrydr did summarize well- more advantageous for the seller to go down, especially if the actual cost is unknown. And it gets murkier when "dealer incentives" are issued behind the curtain. Everyone (pretty much) wants a "good deal". How much one gets depends on how much work or time one wants to put into it.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I take a bit of an issue with the premise that "we're smarter than the average bear". How many have you ever met that didn't know that cars, boats, rv's, etc could be bought for less than MSRP? Some may not care to play the negotiation game, but they chose to not do it. It seems a bit broad to assume that everyone else is a fool, except you and me.

trailrydr did summarize well- more advantageous for the seller to go down, especially if the actual cost is unknown. And it gets murkier when "dealer incentives" are issued behind the curtain. Everyone (pretty much) wants a "good deal". How much one gets depends on how much work or time one wants to put into it.
    You've never met my mother....she's one of those ill-informed consumers who will pay msrp. I know there are others out there.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a value that we used for the banks. If they lowered the “msrp” to a “true value” then people who have negative equity in their trade would have difficulty

The msrp gave us room to “bury” debt into the new loan. Not advisable but unfortunately very common at least in the auto industry and likely just as bad or worse in the rv industry
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post

I didn't see it mentioned in any of the replies to this thread about "everyone else being a fool". Where is that remark coming from?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a luxury industry you typically have three types of buyers: impulse (want it now), money doesn't matter, and frugal purchasers.

Would agree that the first two types who wish to purchase with the knowledge of negotiation VS MSRP, and the benefits there of, apparently are not concerned about money spent and more about ownership.

But these days with dealers sitting with inventory on the ground, current inflation, and less expendable income, purchasers these days are probably more represented by the frugal more so than the other two. And IMO, if the "frugal types" know about negotiation, don't take advantage of it, or shop accordingly, they are not of the wisest frugal shoppers.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast