Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire inflation question

The GD sticker on the trailer says 80 psi for the GYE 235/80R16 tires

The sticker on the a axle says Dexter 5200 lbs.

So, the max weight on any one tire should be no more that 2600 lbs. a bit more perhaps a f weight is uneven.

The Good Year inflation / load table shows 3140 lbs. for 70 psi.

So, does anyone know why GD put 80 psi. On the sticker? Kind of confusing as to what one should actually do in r real life.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's their way of doing a CYA, and tacitly recommending full inflation pressure at the same time.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HF. That is what I was thinking as well. I think I’ll be a little less anal about making sure they are at 80. Seems 75 is fine. Esp on cold mornings in the desert when it’s gonna get much warmer by noon.

And. I know. Visit the scales and see what the weight really is.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    HF. That is what I was thinking as well. I think I’ll be a little less anal about making sure they are at 80. Seems 75 is fine. Esp on cold mornings in the desert when it’s gonna get much warmer by noon.

And. I know. Visit the scales and see what the weight really is.
    There are ways to determine the actual weight pre tire/wheel, but it's not something that can be done at a regular CAT scale type place. There are a few businesses that specialize in weighing each individual tire on the trailer and therefore get an accurate determination of how much pressure is adequate for the load you are carrying on the axles. As you probably know, each tire can see a different amount of weight on it...both axle to axle and side to side. I've never had it done and I'm like most folks I would imagine.....I run the psi that the sticker on the trailer shows and if I remember correctly I've got about 1400 lbs of spare capacity per tire.....times 6 tires...so over 8000 lbs of excess tire capacity.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only downside to running at 80 psi is a rougher ride. I think. And things inside the trailer are always just fine. No evidence of too much bouncing around. So. Probably over thinking this whole thing.

But it’s good to know that on those cold desert mornings when the psi is only 75 but you know it’s going to be much warmer in the afternoon. Maybe now I’ll just not worry so much about starting out the day at 75 instead of waking everyone up with my compressor running in the AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    There are ways to determine the actual weight pre tire/wheel, but it's not something that can be done at a regular CAT scale type place. There are a few businesses that specialize in weighing each individual tire on the trailer and therefore get an accurate determination of how much pressure is adequate for the load you are carrying on the axles. As you probably know, each tire can see a different amount of weight on it...both axle to axle and side to side. I've never had it done and I'm like most folks I would imagine.....I run the psi that the sticker on the trailer shows and if I remember correctly I've got about 1400 lbs of spare capacity per tire.....times 6 tires...so over 8000 lbs of excess tire capacity.
    3 trailers ago I was on a race car team and we had scales that could measure individual wheel weights. I used them on that TT. I t was a real eye opener.
    After seeing the results, I began to make my coaches have excess capacity in the tire/axle area.
    It is really nice to have coaches that I do not have to constantly woory about the tires or axles on. A lot of Rvers check their tire pressures daily, and use a heat gun on them at every stop.

They would never put up with this on their cars. They just expect them to perform.
    One can have an RV with that level of reliability.....But in most cases it will not come from the factory that way
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    3 trailers ago I was on a race car team and we had scales that could measure individual wheel weights. I used them on that TT. I t was a real eye opener.
    After seeing the results, I began to make my coaches have excess capacity in the tire/axle area.
    It is really nice to have coaches that I do not have to constantly woory about the tires or axles on. A lot of Rvers check their tire pressures daily, and use a heat gun on them at every stop.

They would never put up with this on their cars. They just expect them to perform.
    One can have an RV with that level of reliability.....But in most cases it will not come from the factory that way
    You're correct, most do not come from the factory that way, with the exception of the triple axle Momentums like ours....or at least mine did...and probably yours too. 6 Westlakes that have a tire load capacity of 4080 lbs each when inflated to the GD sticker number of 110 psi. That is also the pressure rating on the tire sidewall. That's 24,480 lbs total, spread out on three 7K axles with a trailer GVWR of 20K, in my case. My axle weight is normally in the 15K-16K range, so using the 16K number, that is 8,480 lbs of "extra" tire capacity rating, spread out over 6 tires....which is right at the 1400 lb number I alluded to in the previous post.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    The only downside to running at 80 psi is a rougher ride. I think. And things inside the trailer are always just fine. No evidence of too much bouncing around. So. Probably over thinking this whole thing.
    If we are about to leave a cg and they all read 75 or better...off we go. If one reads 75 and the others are at 80...I pump it up and watch it as we go down the road.

I've never found much reason for airing down to a point where your tire capacity matches what you 'think' your trailer weighs. And I certainly can't tell if the trailer has a rougher ride..hasn't shaken apart yet..So for me, it's 80 all the time were the tire has it's maximum capability.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SmartWeigh

I used the Escapee SmartWeigh program that gives you weight at each wheel. I then used the Goodyear Tire Inflation Chart to set my PSI for heaviest spot.

“Are you overweight? The Escapees SmartWeigh program is an RV educational program created by the Escapees RV Club for the exclusive purpose of enhancing safety, enjoyment, and the overall success of the RV lifestyle. SmartWeigh provides critical RV weight safety and load management information in a highly accurate and usable format. The individual wheel weights determined and provided to RVers under the auspices of this program will be highly accurate as a result of using very high-quality scales, which are annually tested, only suitable weighing sites, and highly trained personnel.”

Non-member $80
    Member $70
    Greg & Vicki
    US ARMY Retired
    2020 F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel 10 Speed 4x4
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P hitch

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    You're correct, most do not come from the factory that way, with the exception of the triple axle Momentums like ours....or at least mine did...and probably yours too. 6 Westlakes that have a tire load capacity of 4080 lbs each when inflated to the GD sticker number of 110 psi. That is also the pressure rating on the tire sidewall. That's 24,480 lbs total, spread out on three 7K axles with a trailer GVWR of 20K, in my case. My axle weight is normally in the 15K-16K range, so using the 16K number, that is 8,480 lbs of "extra" tire capacity rating, spread out over 6 tires....which is right at the 1400 lb number I alluded to in the previous post.
    That was a big plus for the Momentum when I was RV shopping last time.I was even happier when they came out with the 8K axle/disc brake/LRH tire option and I was able to get it added on to my order. This is the first coach I have owned that I did not have to upgrade the running gear on. Yet. I will install the never fail bushings at some point. I had them on my previous TT and really liked them. I have already purchased them, but the greasables it came with are still doing OK, so it isn't a high priority right now.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast