Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously Grand Design has yet learned how to build islands. I have a 2020 Solitude 310 GK after 4 weekend trips on all highway roads the island actually dropped all the way to the floor on one end (4 inches). Taking it in for warranty repair August 6th. I will post an update after. I think this unit was assembled the day before a holiday weekend as there are numerous defects in workmanship cracked plastic panels, sides of cabinets falling away, ding on the table top, Screws pulled out of table leaf, bed frame work split, and the big one...the island disintegrating! I wish I had my Reflection back as this was NOT an upgrade.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "the island actually dropped all the way to the floor on one end (4 inches)"

I can't even envision what this means. Have you taken a picture? Can you post?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will when I take it in. I have held together with two ratchet straps at the moment, one to hold it up off the floor and another to hold the cabinet together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not trying to dig up an old thread, but I'd love to know an update on the fix for the island that dropped into the floor a few inches. We have a 2020 Solitude 382WB which had no movement in the island until a few moves, now when someone walks through the kitchen going from the bedroom to the living room, any bowl of water in the island will actually just spill it's contents it as so much wobble in it. Someone we ran into at a park in Vegas said this is something that happens to a LOT of GD units, and is typically failures in the subfloor under it. I'm looking to find out my options for having it worked on later this year under structural warranty :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2020 Solitude 382WB island wobbles incredibly when someone walks through the kitchen. It went from slightly noticeable at first to almost impossible to ignore after about 3k miles of travel. We ran into a guy in Vegas who has a GD and talks to many owners, and says this is a known and frequent issue, and has to do with the lack of support/build in the sub floor under it. Not sure about that as I haven't personally seen how it's all put together, but a service manager at Blue Dog RV in Vegas also confirmed this when I spoke with him. Has anyone had any issue getting this fixed under structural warranty or anything? We bought the unit used, and even though it was only about 1 year old and barely used, I feel we're not going to be covered unless it's something like that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need to know what the immediate fix can be on this issue. Ours has fallen to the floor on one end. How do we raise it up to get support under it?
    2019 F350 DRW, Crew Cab, Long bed,
    B&W Companion Hitch w/puck system
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvlife View Post
    We need to know what the immediate fix can be on this issue. Ours has fallen to the floor on one end. How do we raise it up to get support under it?
    We had the entire island replaced by GD. The problem is there is not sufficient wood backing where they attach the island. Until we got it fixed we placed a 1x4 on each end of the island and held them in place with ratchet straps. We raised the island off the floor by simply lifting it up by the top until we could put the wood under it. If you are under warranty they should fix it but will take months to accomplish. if no warranty take the ends of the cabinet off and reinforce how it attaches to the island and island base. You will likely have to remove the entire island and install a 3/4 to 1" plywood sub-floor and maybe some brackets. The problem is the screws holding it in place only go into 1/4" paneling. There is no way this can support the weight during constant earthquakes.

Even with the complete replacement I am not happy with the repair job and expect it to fail again at some point. Keep in mind most dealers do not have competent repair staff to fix such items they just push warranty work out as fast as possible.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Love2Hunt; 01-27-2022 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you “Love2Hunt” for your speedy reply. With the help of a campground host, we were able to lift and place 2x4 corners under the failed end.

I’m trying to determine what is meant by the following from your post. I
    “…and held them in place with ratchet straps.”

Did you run a strap around the base? Or did you run straps up and over the top of the island?

Thanks in advance for your help and time.
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran a strap all the way around the base. If you only use corners that probably won't work for you as they will move during the earthquake. My supports were both longer than the short side of the island which allowed the corners to be supported and still be able to strap the entire bottom. I supported both ends because of the flexing when the one side fell, it caused damage to the other side. The issue here is it will block the heater vent for the island. It was summer for me so not a huge deal.

Just out of curiosity which end fell, the end by the cabinet or the end by the fireplace? Our's fell on the cabinet end, or the end towards the front of the trailer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Love2Hunt View Post
    I ran a strap all the way around the base. If you only use corners that probably won't work for you as they will move during the earthquake. My supports were both longer than the short side of the island which allowed the corners to be supported and still be able to strap the entire bottom. I supported both ends because of the flexing when the one side fell, it caused damage to the other side. The issue here is it will block the heater vent for the island. It was summer for me so not a huge deal.

Just out of curiosity which end fell, the end by the cabinet or the end by the fireplace? Our's fell on the cabinet end, or the end towards the front of the trailer.
    The cabinet end fell (where a dishwasher is suppose to go!! Ha). The secondary problem is that the dinette slide vinyl floor goes under the toe kick so we can’t run a support board the length of the front side of island. In fact, we won’t be able to use a corner support there either. We’re hoping to apply a “bandaid” to get us home. You’re right, the island will not ride on the blocks alone. We will have to secure the blocks in some way.

Sadly, have not heard back from GD after I sent an email two days ago.
    2020 Solitude 310-GK

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast