User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bearing buddy to blame?

So I pulled my hubs for the first time to repack my bearings. Luckily I ordered new breaks as I have had this trailer for three years. Now I know I am to blame but I did no, absolutely no maintenance for three years. So I knew my breaks needed done with 60k+ miles on her. What I found shocked me. The first hub was packed full of grease then when I removed the hub grease had been slung all over my break drum and pads. I thought ok it’s only one no worries but I was wrong yet again, all four were exactly the same. So my question, is the bearing buddy to blame? Did the dealer over fill the hub which caused this? I can’t believe some Good Samaritan topped off my grease without my knowledge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110136D6-B5CE-4919-B332-518C32048351.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	44454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2099C33-1641-4BF4-86A6-944FF0EEC5AD.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	44455
    Phillip
    2021 F250 King Ranch 6.7L PS SRW SB CC 4x4 Tremor, 35k inverter, 60gal S&B tank.
    2019 312 BHTS, MORyde CRE300, five leaf 6k leafsprings , MORyde heavy duty shackles.
    Non Destructive Examiner- Oilfield Trash

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you talking about actual Bearing Buddy grease caps or the EasyLube Zerk fittings on the end of the spindles (I suspect the latter). Either way, the equipment is not to blame. The issue lies with pumping the hubs full of grease without removing them to clean, inspect, and repack the bearings and inspect the brakes. Those Zerk fittings are controversial at best and most of us never use them.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linndoren View Post
    So I pulled my hubs for the first time to repack my bearings. Luckily I ordered new breaks as I have had this trailer for three years. Now I know I am to blame but I did no, absolutely no maintenance for three years. So I knew my breaks needed done with 60k+ miles on her. What I found shocked me. The first hub was packed full of grease then when I removed the hub grease had been slung all over my break drum and pads. I thought ok it’s only one no worries but I was wrong yet again, all four were exactly the same. So my question, is the bearing buddy to blame? Did the dealer over fill the hub which caused this? I can’t believe some Good Samaritan topped off my grease without my knowledge.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110136D6-B5CE-4919-B332-518C32048351.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	44454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2099C33-1641-4BF4-86A6-944FF0EEC5AD.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	44455
    That pic shows an EZ lube spindle. I bet you had poor braking from day 1.

FWIW, I have seen far worse, but any grease on the brakes is bad.
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-14-2023 at 04:12 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was the leaf... the leaf did it.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Are you talking about actual Bearing Buddy grease caps or the EasyLube Zerk fittings on the end of the spindles (I suspect the latter). Either way, the equipment is not to blame. The issue lies with pumping the hubs full of grease without removing them to clean, inspect, and repack the bearings and inspect the brakes. Those Zerk fittings are controversial at best and most of us never use them.

Rob
    Hi Rob. In my experience EasyLube spindles only function poorly when used improperly (i.e., overfilling without the usual maintenance). On boat trailers, they are great because you want to fill the void with grease to avoid having water filling the void. Between trips to the ramp this style is great for forcing the old grease out the front and new grease in from the rear which is what they are designed for. My 2003 trailer has had no issues ever other than normal wear and tear, but I do maintenance on them every winter. So, like many things in this world, sometimes it's the user and not the product, many times it is the product but not in this case IMHO.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Those Zerk fittings are controversial at best and most of us never use them.
    I wonder if axle manufacturers are picking up on this. I had to remove one of the wheels on my 398, and to my surprise there is no zerk fitting installed. The female threads are present, but no actual fitting installed, not that I would use the zerk fitting, I'm in the manual repack group for bearing maintenance.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The correct way to use the E-Z Lube feature is to jack up the wheel and rotate it while slowly pumping in grease. If you use a pneumatic gun, pump fast, or don't rotate the wheel you're asking for trouble.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Hi Rob. In my experience EasyLube spindles only function poorly when used improperly (i.e., overfilling without the usual maintenance). On boat trailers, they are great because you want to fill the void with grease to avoid having water filling the void. Between trips to the ramp this style is great for forcing the old grease out the front and new grease in from the rear which is what they are designed for. My 2003 trailer has had no issues ever other than normal wear and tear, but I do maintenance on them every winter. So, like many things in this world, sometimes it's the user and not the product, many times it is the product but not in this case IMHO.
    The OP has EZ lubes, They are NOT for boat trailers Bearing Buddies are a different system and they ARE for boat trailers. About the only thing the two systems have in common is they both have grease zerks.

I see this all the time on the forums. People use the two names interchangably to the point that a lot of people think they are the same thing.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    The OP has EZ lubes, They are NOT for boat trailers Bearing Buddies are a different system and they ARE for boat trailers. About the only thing the two systems have in common is they both have grease zerks.

I see this all the time on the forums. People use the two names interchangably to the point that a lot of people think they are the same thing.
    EZ Lube axles are routinely used on boat trailers. When combined with a marine grease and proper service interval, they do a good job. My understanding is they were originally designed for boats, as were Bearing Buddies, though the function of the two systems is significantly different.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    EZ Lube axles are routinely used on boat trailers. When combined with a marine grease and proper service interval, they do a good job. My understanding is they were originally designed for boats, as were Bearing Buddies, though the function of the two systems is significantly different.
    This is the first I have heard that. And it is pretty hard to believe.
    The EZ lube has an opening (where the grease exits when the zerk is used) that will guarauntee water will enter the bearing cavity when it is underwater... Especially when it is hot. Fresh water, or worse salt water contacting the bearing grease is a very bad thing.

Bearing Buddies is a sealed system that prevents water from entering the bearing cavity....

I do not doubt that some are using Bearing Buddies on RV axles, and I do not doubt that some are using EZ lubes on boat trailers. Both would be an incorrect use of the products

That has never stopped some people from doing it wrong though.

I have owned a boat trailer that I installed Bearing Buddies on, and sucessfully used it. I have also owned two RVs with EZ lubes..... I never used them as the mechanic in me knows what can
    go wrong.... And it simply uses too much grease to do a complete purge of ALL of the old grease
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-15-2023 at 08:59 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast