User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just ordered a GD Solitude 310 GK

Hi all,
    My husband and I just ordered a 310GK-R. We are supposed to pick it up first week in April. We are new to the RV world and very nervous about it, but we are doing all we can to learn between now and getting the fifth wheel. Ron is getting ready to retire. I already retired but still have a consulting business. We can't wait to start this adventure!

I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for where to purchase a warranty. America's RV comes up as a good one, but I would rather hear from owners. I would also like recommendations on whether to have the dealership apply the ceramic coating or do it yourself. Please share your wisdom.
    Last edited by Debra Rhey; 01-14-2023 at 06:30 PM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Opinion. I would not buy any warranty beyond what GD offers with the sale. I don’t know about the coating but would probably not buy that either.

The big issues will likely manifest while the GD warranty is in force. And after that just fix things yourself or pay to have it done. Again, my opinion of the best financial strategy.

It is my experience that the biggest issue with warranty work is having to wait and wait and wait. Many stories here of that. Kind of OK if it’s new and a big issue. But after a couple of years of use. Things will break and you or a mobile tech or local shop can fix most of them.

This is just one voice. Others may have different experience.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! This question has been asked and answered a number of times - the search function is your friend (top right on the menu bar).

My wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit.

Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard have commented on these plans many times, too. The standard seems to be that 80% of extended service plan revenue goes toward commissions and marketing. Only 20% goes toward paying for actual repairs, which means most people are getting a really bad deal. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra Rhey View Post
    Hi all,
    My husband and I just ordered a 310GK-R. We are supposed to pick it up first week in April. We are new to the RV world and very nervous about it, but we are doing all we can to learn between now and getting the fifth wheel. Ron is getting ready to retire. I already retired but still have a consulting business. We can't wait to start this adventure!

I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for where to purchase a warranty. America's RV comes up as a good one, but I would rather hear from owners. I would also like recommendations on whether to have the dealership apply the acrylic coating or do it yourself. Please share your wisdom.
    Congratulations!! We know the feeling but put 12,000 miles on it's first season last year. It's a great floor plan. Our dealer did not offer an acrylic coating so I'm not sure what that might be.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for taking the time to share. We need all the help we can get

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Rob. I'm new to this site and still trying to figure out how to navigate. I appreciate your help.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Rob. I'm new to this site and still trying to figure out how to navigate. I appreciate your help.
    @Debra Rhey -

It takes some time to learn your way around... we all started out new at the beginning.

Here are a few other forum tips that might help:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) If you choose to get a paid membership (nominal cost and well worth it), you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for where to purchase a warranty. America's RV comes up as a good one, but I would rather hear from owners. I would also like recommendations on whether to have the dealership apply the ceramic coating or do it yourself. Please share your wisdom.
    Congratulations! We love ours! I’m averse to extended warranties, so I didn’t buy any. I use @Second Chance ‘s method. If I had one thing to do over it would be finding the best coating possible to apply to the front cap, which may be the ceramic. I spent a good 2 hours scrubbing bugs off that cap after a trip to South Dakota last summer, and it’s certainly not perfect!
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome to the group. I agree with everyone else on the extended warranties. Skip it. As for the ceramic coating, shop around and look at user reviews of the person that you will hire to apply it. If not applied right, it won't look good and will be a pain to strip it off.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us. Skip the warranty, come here and ask your fellow owners when you need help.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast