User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 tundra hybrid paired with imagine 2800bh

Does that sound right to you? From what I've gathered it definitely can, but what is the pucker factor in your opinion? We really like the 2800 compared to the 2400 but just not sure the tundra is enough truck for it. Trips would be from Texas to Colorado, Tennessee, Florida.

For those with the 22/23 tundra hybrid, what are you pulling in the 28-32 foot range.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look for 2800BH on here, you will find some towing with half ton, many towing with bigger. You will also find some who tried a half ton and then went bigger after not being happy. It’s right on the edge and really comes down to your payload (carrying capacity). My guess is on a hybrid tundra (already one of the heavier half tons), you’ll be right at/over both payload and rear axle capacity.

You really have to ask yourself how much weight you have in the truck (people and stuff), then how much tongue weight you’ll have from the trailer (lots have posted on that trailer here, and I think it’s ~1k). Don’t use dry weight, but ~13% of GVW for the trailer, or the real numbers you can find here.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2400 and definitely wouldn’t go any larger with a half ton
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Payload is what we all run out first. If you want to know if you are within your capacity limits then take the numbers off of your yellow sticker in your drivers side door jam and punch them on here. https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/
    You can use GD GVWR of 8,495lbs and 15% of that for your tongue weight to be on the safe side. Most of GD tongue weights is somewhere between 12.5% and 15% of the trailer weight.
    That will tell you if you are within you towing capacity limits or not.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pucker factor won't be bad if you do some upgrades to the truck and get a ProPride hitch, but you don't have much payload to work with.

That said, I'm right at payload with my setup and when I first got the trailer last year, my truck felt a bit squishy going down the road when getting passed by semis, handling twisty mountain roads, etc. I upgraded to Load Range E tires on the truck and added Roadmaster Active Suspension, and all that squishiness is GONE. This includes going up and down steep mountain grades in CA, CO, AZ, and NM. Now the only thing I wish I had for towing in the mountains is more power.

Next truck will definitely be a 3/4 ton though. My truck mods are band-aids until I can find the right deal on the right truck at some point in the future.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the responses. My gut was telling me no, but my wife was really wanting it to work. We'll definitely be looking more at a smaller trailer.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kubenaab View Post
    Thanks all for the responses. My gut was telling me no, but my wife was really wanting it to work. We'll definitely be looking more at a smaller trailer.
    Happy wife, happy life. Any chance of getting out of the Toyota into a 3/4 ton? Otherwise, the tire swap and RAS for my truck was about $1400 all in and it made for a very relaxed drive from AZ to WI and back last summer, including lots of mountains. ProPride comes along to the next truck so that's just "cost of doing business" stuff IMO.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have the tire swap already taken care of. I have cooper discoverer at3 xlt on it right now. The dealer is actually letting me go drive with the trailer today so if it looks doable I'll report back and see what you did more specifically.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 tundra hybrid paired with imagine 2800bh

The dealer is actually letting me go drive with the trailer today so if it looks doable I'll report back and see what you did more specifically.
    Although this is helpful it isn’t a true picture of real world towing. A loaded trailer ready to camp will change everything
    YMMV

Edit: curious as to the want of the 2800 over the 2400? Sleeping? Sitting?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have the tire swap already taken care of. I have cooper discoverer at3 xlt on it right now. The dealer is actually letting me go drive with the trailer today so if it looks doable I'll report back and see what you did more specifically.
    Kudos to that dealer, however, unless you have a properly set up WDH for the truck/trailer combination, which usually involves a fair bit of setup, your results might not be a good indication of real world experience. An empty trailer without sway control can blow around a fair bit. My setup actually tows best when the trailer is loaded down with a bunch of cargo and 1/3 full fresh water tank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast