User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the store on Starlink that I'm getting this morning in central Florida:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230117_093308_Starlink.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	44488
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    One overlooked aspect of WiFi that’s overlooked when considering services is bandwidth. You can have a blazing fast service that occasionally causes buffering or tileing because an unusually large number of devices are trying to download at once, exceeding the bandwidth. Often happens at peak usage times when people are most likely to be using their devices. A less “popular” service that’s slower might actually outperform the “blazing” service at such times. Bottom line is there’s no perfect WiFi solution.
    Not just WiFi, I have gotten this in a few places with cell hotspots too. I am seriously thinking about starlink but you probably need a cell backup, at least if you are working from the camper.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We received the RV Startlink in August. We ran it off and on for a few weeks and were charged for Sept. Towards the end of September we stowed the antenna and stored it in the 5th Wheel intending to use it in December for our trip to Quartzsite. We paid zero money for October and November. We restarted our subscription in December.
    I can say we've had zero problems with Starlink since our arrival. There are days when I randomly do a speed test just because...and we are down around the 5 or 6 Mbps but have normally had zero trouble surfing the web with my laptop while also streaming a movie or the Missus Soapie, so I really don't pay attention to Starlink speedtest or a third party test.
    As a note, just this evening we lost all internet for about 3-4 minutes, total blackout, but service has been restored and all is good. Only time this has happened since December. Quartzsite is getting very busy so hopefully this does not become a repeating problem.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went to Starlink RV in Oct intending to use it when we winter in South Texas. Other than one outage for roughly the same time as ACME had, and I'll bet it was the same outage.

We love it.
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For you Starlink users are the sats more straight up in the sky? I see a few Starlink dishes pointing fairly straight up vs a lower angle like on a Dish sat.

And is it possible to use both a tv and internet at the same time? Or basically how much activity is possible with one?

Also right now it's not available where I live but since I can get the RV version could I still use it at my home then take it out camping?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    For you Starlink users are the sats more straight up in the sky? I see a few Starlink dishes pointing fairly straight up vs a lower angle like on a Dish sat.

And is it possible to use both a tv and internet at the same time? Or basically how much activity is possible with one?

Also right now it's not available where I live but since I can get the RV version could I still use it at my home then take it out camping?
    North, primarily. The satellites traverse from East to West in the Northern part of the sky for the country's southern latitudes.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post

The angle will depend from where one is, but Dishy needs face North for optimum. This will change a bit as the mesh continues to density.

It's not either/or at all. We've had two TVs streaming, four phones, and two laptops running off ours while camping. Ours is a residential subscription with portability added so the lower prioritization when traveling.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can get Starlink home service, the pro hack is to get home service, and then have the mobility service added on top of that. IIRC, it's like another $15/month fee, maybe $25? Anyway, then you are NOT deprioritized, even when on the road.
    The issue here is whether or not home service is turned on yet in your area.

For a very nice option, check out Visible wireless. That's Verizon's discount subsidiary. You can get an inexpensive smart phone and hotspot that, with (mostly) unlimited data for flat rate of $25/month. I used mine for a few days last month, when my Verizon mifi device ran out of data. The phones limit you to one connection per phone, but no big deal to add a small wireless router to get around that issue.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    If you can get Starlink home service, the pro hack is to get home service, and then have the mobility service added on top of that. IIRC, it's like another $15/month fee, maybe $25? Anyway, then you are NOT deprioritized, even when on the road.
    The issue here is whether or not home service is turned on yet in your area.

For a very nice option, check out Visible wireless. That's Verizon's discount subsidiary. You can get an inexpensive smart phone and hotspot that, with (mostly) unlimited data for flat rate of $25/month. I used mine for a few days last month, when my Verizon mifi device ran out of data. The phones limit you to one connection per phone, but no big deal to add a small wireless router to get around that issue.
    Unfortunately, that's not been true since about 3 mos after rolling out mobility. If you have a residential with mobility, you're deprioritized any where outside your home coordinates. Dishy is GPS located, and it's regularly tracked. Starlink won't reveal what the threshold is for the GPS tolerance for your residence in their system, but I can tell you it's not all that large! Can see for yourself in the debug data. Based on some home experimentation, Dishy needs to be with about a 100 foot radius of it's coordinates at time of residential activation. Of course, you can have customer service reset the home coordinates, but they'll be wise with excessive distance. The address change hack was also defeated.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Unfortunately, that's not been true since about 3 mos after rolling out mobility. If you have a residential with mobility, you're deprioritized any where outside your home coordinates. Dishy is GPS located, and it's regularly tracked. Starlink won't reveal what the threshold is for the GPS tolerance for your residence in their system, but I can tell you it's not all that large! Can see for yourself in the debug data. Based on some home experimentation, Dishy needs to be with about a 100 foot radius of it's coordinates at time of residential activation. Of course, you can have customer service reset the home coordinates, but they'll be wise with excessive distance. The address change hack was also defeated.
    Good to know. Last I read their information online, from Starlink's site itself, is where I saw that. So they're either lying, or changed their terms!
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast