User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    Good to know. Last I read their information online, from Starlink's site itself, is where I saw that. So they're either lying, or changed their terms!
    They're not lying... They updated their Fair Use Policy last year when the RV-only plans came out. You are only guaranteed Priority Access as a residential subscriber with portability at your residence and up to the ceiling cap. Over cap and portability is deprioritized. We have literally traveled the country with our Starlink and have not yet encountered any problems from the deprioritzation for streaming, my virtual meetings, or web surfing. There are overtaxed cells. No doubt about it. However, each time the rockets launch, Starlink is adding more birds to get to the mesh density. Folks forget this is a fledgling system that was released earlier to the broader public to generate cash to continue its building. It will get better and better
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding the questions about internet and TV at same time, I've tested my system with 3 laptops, 2 cell phones, and 2 TVs all actively streaming and the system never burped.

Also, here in Southern TX, the dishy aims more of a north angle than it does at home in NW MT, where it points almost straight up, so that verifies the orbit pattern mentioned early (East West, Northern hemisphere)
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being on the west coast, who knows when service will be available. Apparently I can't even get the RV service.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Being on the west coast, who knows when service will be available. Apparently I can't even get the RV service.
    Are you sure you are looking at RV and not residential + mobility? I just checked and in my area I can get RV but not residential. I thought you could get RV at least anywhere in the US
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Starlink;

"Basic Access is defined at the plan-specific level as described in Starlink's Fair Use Policy.

For Residential service plans, download and upload are queued behind other users with Priority Access, which may result in slower speeds. During times of peak network congestion, users will be able to engage in typical internet activity like email, online shopping, or even downloading an SD movie, but may not be able to engage in activities like online gaming, video calls or downloading 4k and HD movies.

RV and Best Effort service plans are permanently Basic Access."

My area has low capacity coverage so I assume I would only get SD and slower speeds?

Yes it seems as I could get the RV package but I'd still be limited on speed where I live. Even out camping I still wouldn't be in the high capacity area.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @goducks14 That makes more sense. You may want to post the general area you camp in and ask other users with RV or mobility how the actual service is in that area.

As I understand just being in a busy area does not mean it will be low speed, but it could be. From posts on the forest river forums I suspect you will me ok, at least most the time.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last September I invested in Starlink, we are in Calgary and have lots of great spots in the mountains that have no cell coverage. We are able to extend weekends being able to work remote at the campsite. It’s currently resting in the 5er until our camping season starts. The ability to only pay during camping season is so great!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started out in Eastern Oregon with my new RV Starlink in August. Tall pines everywhere, I thought I was going to have lots of stoppages due to sky blockage. But it worked fine! I do a lot of video calls for my job, and I never had a stutter like I have had often using Visible and T-Mobile cell hotspots. From Eastern Oregon, across Idaho, through Wyoming, down through eastern Colorado and across Colorado over Wolf Creek Pass, through New Mexico and Arizona, with big open skies, tall pines blocking north and in some canyons, I have had short 3-5 minute outages, but I have never had an issue streaming HD movies, gaming, video calls for work. I have discontinued all my cell phone hotspot plans. Starlink has worked for me everywhere I thought it wouldn't. I have done hundreds of SpeedTest tests, and I can tell you that you do not need much download speed to stream anything you want. Much more important has been the latency. I have had many times with great download and upload speeds and poor latency, using cell hotspots, and have been unable to continue a connection to internet. Starlink latency varies, but never got low for me at all.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing to keep in mind with Starlink is, it's a network of satellites and much like cell towers, you can be passed from one satellite to another. Not a huge problem, unless you're in an area with a lot of Starlink subscribers. My son has had Starlink for quite some time now. Initially it was very fast, but as they sold more subscriptions, his speed suffered. Satellite is also more susceptible to weather conditions.

I think it is a huge benefit, considering the alternatives, and it will only get better. They are constantly launching more satellites and improving the product.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Starlink, but pay for the home service plus mobility. When I move, I just tell it that my new home address is where I am and presto, no deprioritization. You do get a warning that if your home area is full, you will not be able to go back there and say it is your home. I only use Starlink for the RV so I don’t care about this. I generally get around 60Mbps, but have seen in excess of 100Mbps often. I used it this summer (2022) for video conferencing for six weeks without issue (once a week or so I might see a 2-second dropout or something like that).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast