User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Satellite internet

We will be heading out for a few weeks at a time. Internet, wi-fi issues have been problematic depending on where we are and what we are doing, watching minimal tv is the worst. Checking out satellite options like Firewifi and Starlink. Any suggestions, anyone use either? Pros and cons?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jangle2 View Post
    We will be heading out for a few weeks at a time. Internet, wi-fi issues have been problematic depending on where we are and what we are doing, watching minimal tv is the worst. Checking out satellite options like Firewifi and Starlink. Any suggestions, anyone use either? Pros and cons?
    Starlink RV service allows you to pause it when you are not using it. However it's a $600.00 investment and a $135.00 a month commitment.

Also, speeds vary wildly.

I have no experience (or knowledge) with Firewifi.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it was an anomaly but …last summer i stayed at a campground with horrible wifi. I used a hotspot from my Verizon phone to watch tv off of my Google Chromecast. My neighbor in the campground had Starlink and when I asked about it he wasn’t too happy. When we did a speedtest I had very slightly better download speeds off of my phone hotspot. That doesn’t seem right but it was what it was. Maybe just that area at that time but??…. I have no other 1st hand knowledge but looking into wifi options too.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Maybe it was an anomaly but …last summer i stayed at a campground with horrible wifi. I used a hotspot from my Verizon phone to watch tv off of my Google Chromecast. My neighbor in the campground had Starlink and when I asked about it he wasn’t too happy. When we did a speedtest I had very slightly better download speeds off of my phone hotspot. That doesn’t seem right but it was what it was. Maybe just that area at that time but??…. I have no other 1st hand knowledge but looking into wifi options too.
    Yes, Starlink can be like that. RV users are deprioritized.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is for the obsessed - speed testing that is. Fact of matter, you really don't need obscene rates, to get what you need done. I have Starlink and have for a long while now. Happy with every aspect except the price! Musk needs to reduce it like he's done for the majority of users outside the US. You do have to be able to have a clear line of sight to sky. I have a fix mount on our ladder, the original carry out mount, and a telescoping mount of my fabrication. Between this and some homework for site selection and no problems!

I can only imagine your neighbor, if not just speed obsessed, could have been on the fringe of an active cell - plenty of area still not covered.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One overlooked aspect of WiFi that’s overlooked when considering services is bandwidth. You can have a blazing fast service that occasionally causes buffering or tileing because an unusually large number of devices are trying to download at once, exceeding the bandwidth. Often happens at peak usage times when people are most likely to be using their devices. A less “popular” service that’s slower might actually outperform the “blazing” service at such times. Bottom line is there’s no perfect WiFi solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Starlink RV service allows you to pause it when you are not using it. However it's a $600.00 investment and a $135.00 a month commitment.

Also, speeds vary wildly.

I have no experience (or knowledge) with Firewifi.
    Thank you for the input. We’ve never heard of Firewifi either, just random searching as we are planning about a month out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have used our Verizon hotspot and it can work. But, if I have to do any work and be in an off grid type place I need to know I can get on. Let me know if you find anything out there [emoji4]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Yes, Starlink can be like that. RV users are deprioritized.
    Well we need to speak out to Mr Musk it appears [emoji6]

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jangle2 View Post
    Well we need to speak out to Mr Musk it appears [emoji6]
    When initially offered, it wasn't deprioritized, then about 4 months in, they released a new T&C that started the deprioritization and calling the speeds to 100 MBPS down and 15 MBPS up.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast