User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valves not closing

What just dropped our 380FL at a repair shop for some issues. The biggest of which is that our black and gray tank valves don't close. When we take the cap off to connect to sewer or dump, there is a gush of water/waste that comes out. The shop says that to replace those valves they will have to remove the underbelly. Is this correct?
    2022 Solitude 380 FL-R
    2022 Ford F-450 Lariat

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can't replace the valves without removing the underbelly. There might not be anything wrong with thr valves. The problem is when you dump and the water "stops", there is still residual water left in the pipe where all the pipes connect together. When level, there isn't enough slope to drain it all out, but once you start driving it all moves around and ends up at the cap.

You can install a twist on Valterra valve at the discharge to stop the blast when removing the cap.

A good test of the valves would be to fill the tank with water, open the valve to let some water out and then shut the valve, water flow should stop fairly quickly. You should still have water in the tank and no flow if everything works. Make sure to have a clear sewer elbow to watch the flow.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julialuck View Post
    What just dropped our 380FL at a repair shop for some issues. The biggest of which is that our black and gray tank valves don't close. When we take the cap off to connect to sewer or dump, there is a gush of water/waste that comes out. The shop says that to replace those valves they will have to remove the underbelly. Is this correct?
    Our 380FL-R has the same issue. One of the grey tank valves is leaking. We solved the problem in the short term by installing a gate valve at the end of the drain outlet (where it connects to the dump hose). Put the following in the Amazon search bar - “Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve”. It twists onto the outlet and stays there. Close it when you’ve finished dumping the tanks and it will prevent the “gush” you mentioned. Make sure you put the end cap back on the new valve anyway to keep dirt and grit away from the gate valve seal. If I ever have to open up the underbelly for any other reason, I will fix the leaking tank valve. Until then, this is a cheap and easy fix.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes, but not very often, a little bit of tissue paper will get lodged in the shut off valve. When this happens, a slight leakage will occur. the remedy is to remove the underbelly to get to the valve and clean it out. Just a thought.
    2011 3500 Chevrolet LTZ SRW 4X4
    2020 GD Imagine 3100RD
    Slide toppers, Dimmer switches, surge guard
    MorRyde w/wet bolts, GY ST225/75R15 tires

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a bit of a clog in my black valve. Opened a full grey tank valve while the black was open and let the warm shower water shush up into black
    Tank territory. It worked.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good tip
    Thanks
    Retired U.S. Navy Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Big Horn, CC, 6.7 Cummins
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I for got to mention that I have a valterra valve on the very output which Inclosed during the grey sloshing into black. Probably would not work without that final valve closed. Highly recommend adding this valve for a bunch of reasons.

Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve, Mess-Free Waste Valve for RV's, Campers, Trailers https://a.co/d/bO1Rb8F
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julialuck View Post
    A very common occurance. Not bad valves. Bad piping design. You do have to drop the coroplast to change the valves, but I'll bet there is nothing wrong with them.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a similar problem with my 2020 315rlts. I get black water leaking after closing the valve. We verified this by a clear hose adapter and it shows water coming out.

However, we have a bigger problem in that we are getting black water into the underbelly. We had to poke a hole in the low spot and watch it drip drip drip out. Has anyone had this issue? What kind of solution are we looking at? A new grommet at the end of the black tank. Sounds like a major and messy job.

Alan