User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Many boondocking sites on Forest service land have a bit of a berm at the entrance. On our second trip with the momentum, we went to one of our favorite sites and when backing in, discovered that the berm was too high for the jacks to clear. While we were using shovels to rectify the situation... It occured to me that if the truck had air bags with an onboard compressor it would be easy to adjust the ride height of the truck up or down with the push of a button, and thus raising the jacks as needed to clear the berm.
    I can relate to the boondocking and see how the jacks could be a problem. I am always watching out for the jacks. So far I have not torn off a jack but would not be surprised if I do. Did the air bags with the compressor help with you situation?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    I can relate to the boondocking and see how the jacks could be a problem. I am always watching out for the jacks. So far I have not torn off a jack but would not be surprised if I do. Did the air bags with the compressor help with you situation?
    Absolutly! It is a slick setup. It will not turn the coach into a 4x4 LOL, but does make getting in/out of sites easier. I haven't needed to shovel since I put them on. So I call it a success.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had airbags on my last two trucks, first was a 2002 duramax cc 2500 which I later switched the rear springs to 3500 springs which made a huge difference. I also have airlift 5000 airbags on my 2017 Silverado 3500 LB duramax and they serve a purpose. I leveled my front end by raising it about 2 inches, so when I hook up to the 310gk I add enough air to keep the truck level so my headlights aren't blinding oncoming traffic. Did they help the ride? I would say maybe, but my ride seems very firm with 50 psi on the airbags, and I actually think the truck rode better without them. Driving around empty I run the airbags at 5-10 psi and the rear of the truck is still overly stiff. I just replaced my factory Rancho 5000 shocks with some Fox shocks and unfortunately no improvement in ride. I usually have 60 gallons of fuel in my aux tank and that helps some, but empty the truck rides pretty harsh and is especially bad for whoever is riding in the back seats. I don't think it is a good idea to use the airbags to support a majority of the load since the airbags go inboard of the leaf springs at least on GM this gives more leverage outboard of the airbag to bend an axle tube. The leaf springs still need to support the majority of the weight. This could be a real issue with some of the 2020 up Fords that were found to have thin axle tubes that got recalled for more weld on the spring pads. Ideally if the truck needs a little bit of a lift, a 1 inch lift block would be better than using the airbags to keep the truck level by adding too much weight to the axle tube.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, FWIW, a HD one ton truck is going to ride harshly regardless of whether it has bags or not. It's just the nature of the beast. If it didn't ride harshly when empty, it wouldn't work to carry a heavy load.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 Denali 3500SRW Duramax, I don’t have a payload problem, but there is just more squat than I want. I went with the 7500lb airlift with the onboard wireless compressor. It’s simple to use and no more squat.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIRTWO View Post
    I have a Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4 liter gas crew cab short and was wondering if air bags are worth the price. Not really having a problem just wondering if the ride improvement was worth the time and money. I also would like some suggestions for the best brands. I wonder also if there is a criteria for front height and rear height of vehicle tolerance. Unloaded front 40 1/4 inches rear 42 3/4 inches. I will have to measure with load when I hook up.
    I second Air Lift from SD Truck Springs have owned installed on 3… different vehicles over the years. They have excellent selection & are not bad to install. Better prices than most.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIRTWO View Post
    I have a Ram 2500 Tradesman 6.4 liter gas crew cab short and was wondering if air bags are worth the price. Not really having a problem just wondering if the ride improvement was worth the time and money. I also would like some suggestions for the best brands. I wonder also if there is a criteria for front height and rear height of vehicle tolerance. Unloaded front 40 1/4 inches rear 42 3/4 inches. I will have to measure with load when I hook up.

My guess is that airbags would definitely help with your 337RLS especially since you're towing with a 3/4 ton truck.
    I have the Firestone Air Bags, no compressor, and only need to keep them set at about 30 PSI for an optimal ride on my 2006 Sierra 3500. I also have a rear stabilizer bar installed which is also a big help. I like having two separate fill valves to adjust as needed. I mounted my shrader valves where the license plate bolts were.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is generally no "best" (which is subjective... it varies for each person and vehicle); Whether or not it is worth the money is also subjective.

When I towed a TT, I did not have air bags, but before taking delivery of my 337RLS, I had a set of Air Lift 7500's installed (sans compressor) on my Ram (2017 Laramie 2500). They help to smooth the ride somewhat, even when unladen with ~10 psi in the bags. They also help to level the truck when towing. For what I paid for them, I found them worthwhile. When I upgrade/trade to a 3500, I am not sure if I will add air bags... will see what happens at that time. Another option on a new Ram would be the factory installed rear air suspension... more expensive, but probably more convenient. Of course, that cannot be added to an existing vehicle... the next best solution would be aftermarket (i.e., Air Lift or similar) air bags.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the basic Airlift 5000 and really like it. I originally had the 2 bags plumbed independently with 2 valves but found I was always pressurizing both the same. So I bought a T-fitting and now have only one valve. I use a bike pump to inflate to 35 psi after hitching. I feel it stabilizes the ride.

I would like to upgrade to an onboard compressor but when I looked at this a while back, those compressors couldn’t get to the 120 psi needed for my trailer tires. Seemed like an expensive upgrade for just the airbags when a bike pump works fine for me.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used Firestone bags on my last truck ('09 f250) & the cages they were mounted on collapsed under the weight of a Lance slide in camper. Went to Airlift 5000 bags with no problem after that. No on board compressor, mounted the valves behind the fuel fill door.
    I have Airlift with remote compressor on the dually in my signature now, the ride is not as harsh with the camper or the trailer. Manual inflators are still behind the fuel door in case of compressor failure.
    They were easy installs even for a 65yo (at the time).
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast