User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Firestone bags on my 14 F250, run them around 55psi when towing the 320mks. Truck is nice and level and things are smoother when hitting the bad roads. I've been happy since they were installed and glad I did it.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    I have the basic Airlift 5000 and really like it. I originally had the 2 bags plumbed independently with 2 valves but found I was always pressurizing both the same. So I bought a T-fitting and now have only one valve. I use a bike pump to inflate to 35 psi after hitching. I feel it stabilizes the ride.

I would like to upgrade to an onboard compressor but when I looked at this a while back, those compressors couldn’t get to the 120 psi needed for my trailer tires. Seemed like an expensive upgrade for just the airbags when a bike pump works fine for me.
    If you have the onboard compressor, you can adjust the air pressure on the fly depending on road conditions and when you hook-up/unload. I find it extremely valuable to have the compressor with the wireless remote. I can also adjust the air when I am backing under the fifth wheel so that I don't have to change the camper hitch height. The onboard compressor is not a must-have but I would certainly consider it a huge value coming from a person that has tried it both ways.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Bags are they worth the money and which are the best?

I am bagging my Ram 2500 pulling a Reflection 298BH. Leaning towards Timber Grove but won’t count out the Airlift at their price.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air Bags

Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    If you have the onboard compressor, you can adjust the air pressure on the fly depending on road conditions and when you hook-up/unload. I find it extremely valuable to have the compressor with the wireless remote. I can also adjust the air when I am backing under the fifth wheel so that I don't have to change the camper hitch height. The onboard compressor is not a must-have but I would certainly consider it a huge value coming from a person that has tried it both ways.
    I agree with COGrandDes. I have the Airlift 5000 set up on my F250 with the compressor and remote control. Its easy to get the vehicle level and headlights at the correct aim. Then when you drop your trailer, just dial down the pressure for a more comfortable ride. No extra effort to change the pressure all the time. Just do it quickly from the cab. I found no need for independent air circuits.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for Firestone Air Bags with onboard compressor. I elected to have the compressor mounted inside the cab behind the back seat. This ensures the compressor is not exposed to dirt, water, road salt etc. My gauge is mounted on the lower right portion of the dash. It is visible when I sit in the driver seat and I can adjust the pressure from the drivers seat.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Viair 400P portable air compressor for the air bags and tires.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We put Firestones under our Ram 2500 4X4 Megacab. It keeps the M350 we have riding close to level and really softens the ride. Worth every penny.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: I put AirLift 5000 series bags in the rear of my Chevy Express 2500 to make sure it didn't sag when the trailer was attached. Unfortunately, when the extra capacity is not needed AirLift recommends a minimum of 5psi in them, which caused the rear to lift a couple of inches causing the headlights to dip and giving a rough ride compared to stock. Running less than 5psi would cause the rear axle to slam into the frame when hitting large bumps, (the air bags replace the bump stops). I replaced the bags with Sumo Springs and am much happier. The van sits at stock height when empty, the springs act as shock absorbers to improve the ride when hitting large bumps, and the rear sags less than 1/2" when the 950lb tongue weight trailer is hitched up. I'm so impressed with them that I'm adding them to the trailer also.

I used AirLift bags successfully on a Sierra 2500 pickup with a Lance slide-in camper and was very happy with the result, they just didn't work as well on my Express van.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubiconMike View Post
    FWIW: I put AirLift 5000 series bags in the rear of my Chevy Express 2500 to make sure it didn't sag when the trailer was attached. Unfortunately, when the extra capacity is not needed AirLift recommends a minimum of 5psi in them, which caused the rear to lift a couple of inches causing the headlights to dip and giving a rough ride compared to stock. Running less than 5psi would cause the rear axle to slam into the frame when hitting large bumps, (the air bags replace the bump stops). I replaced the bags with Sumo Springs and am much happier. The van sits at stock height when empty, the springs act as shock absorbers to improve the ride when hitting large bumps, and the rear sags less than 1/2" when the 950lb tongue weight trailer is hitched up. I'm so impressed with them that I'm adding them to the trailer also.

I used AirLift bags successfully on a Sierra 2500 pickup with a Lance slide-in camper and was very happy with the result, they just didn't work as well on my Express van.
    One way to avoid this issue is to install Timbrens, instead of air bags. When unloaded, they don't make contact and the vehicle rides at it's normal state of level.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    One way to avoid this issue is to install Timbrens, instead of air bags. When unloaded, they don't make contact and the vehicle rides at it's normal state of level.

Rob
    Yes, I looked at them. Very similar in concept to the Sumo Springs. My springs just touch the frame at rest so they don't raise the ride height, but offer cushioning for even small bumps.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast