User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone else miss the old manual awnings?

Thought for the morning... I was just wondering if I'm the only one that wishes they still put the old style awnings on RV's? You know, the kind where you had to use the pole to pull out the awning, slide the arms out to the end and tighten them down, then raise the awning up? And you could leave it out for pretty moderate winds because it had a heavier duty material and the awning frame was fairly durable? With the new awnings it seems like the slightest breeze causes the awning to bounce and it makes me nervous to leave it out if we're not right there. Now, I understand that people used to leave those old awnings out and they ended up damaged in storms too, but they were so much more durable. Because you could leave them out for days at a time it wasn't much of a pain IMHO. Pushing a button is nice these days, but I'd give that convenience up for the old style in a minute if it were an option.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss it too and used it a lot more then the electric as I am always concerned it will get ripped up if I am not right there. Probably over paranoid but the manual seemed much stronger.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Thought for the morning... I was just wondering if I'm the only one that wishes they still put the old style awnings on RV's? You know, the kind where you had to use the pole to pull out the awning, slide the arms out to the end and tighten them down, then raise the awning up? And you could leave it out for pretty moderate winds because it had a heavier duty material and the awning frame was fairly durable? With the new awnings it seems like the slightest breeze causes the awning to bounce and it makes me nervous to leave it out if we're not right there. Now, I understand that people used to leave those old awnings out and they ended up damaged in storms too, but they were so much more durable. Because you could leave them out for days at a time it wasn't much of a pain IMHO. Pushing a button is nice these days, but I'd give that convenience up for the old style in a minute if it were an option.
    While I wish the awning that I got on my Reflection was more durable, I also appreciate the convenience of having the awning deployed at the touch of a button. I don't think it has to be one or the other, it is possible to have durable awnings with beefier supports that deploy electronically. The question is: are we willing to pay more for that?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I use. It helps to be able to leave it out in heavy heavy rain and wind. I bring it in at night though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0702.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	44497
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on which generation we're talking about. We dont miss our '93 Jayco TT ones. They were a PITA to deploy, lock in place, and then retract and secure to the trailer. Took longer than the electric ones of today.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a word, YES! I miss the beefier old style awning. You could support the legs on the ground or the wall, walk into the support arms and bang your head (ok don't really miss that part) I also miss an awning that covers the entry door better.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the comments about convenience of a push button, but I'd give that up for a sturdier solution. But do not miss the risk of banging my head on the arms; had forgotten about that for a minute - maybe too many bangs on the melon.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    What I use. It helps to be able to leave it out in heavy heavy rain and wind. I bring it in at night though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0702.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	44497
    Now that is interesting. Looks like the vertical arm and holder is home made - nice. Can I ask how that strap is secured around the arm? I assume you use a screw in type eye at the ground? I like this idea alot.
    Chad

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think we have had our awning out once in the past year. As fragile as they are you don't dare leave it out when you go somewhere in case a good wind comes up. They really don't give much shade as high as they are or not able to adjust the pitch. So why bother. I suppose they look good though. The old style actually worked and if you put the arms to the ground you could then put a strap on them and they were secure. Yea I like the old one's better. Those I could use. Banging my head on the arms was a problem though.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think they were more durable and stronger than the electric ones. At least they had brace that connected to side of camper for more strength. Always having to bring our electric one when wind blows and afraid to leave it out overnight in case storm comes up during the night.

I will never forget a few year ago camping at beach. Guy was on his maiden trip with brand new camper and left awning out overnight. I storm came up during night and broke one side lose. He was sick.
    Last edited by Buckskin; 01-18-2023 at 09:19 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast