User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renogy panels added to furrion??

Can i match up Renogy 175 watt monocrystaline panels to my furrion solar panel 165w rigid monocrystalline panel that cane on my 2022 Transcend Xplor?"

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ander122 View Post
    Can i match up Renogy 175 watt monocrystaline panels to my furrion solar panel 165w rigid monocrystalline panel that cane on my 2022 Transcend Xplor?"
    The short answer is yes, however, when matching two different panels of unequal wattage in a parallel setup, the system will run at the performance level of the lower wattage panel. So you would lose some of the potential output of the Renogy panel, but the two together would produce more than the Furrion that came with your coach.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I have been running solar for years but on my self installed system. I was looking at the Furrion panel to match up but I can get the 2 Renogy for less than 1 Furrion panel.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ander122 View Post
    Thanks. I have been running solar for years but on my self installed system. I was looking at the Furrion panel to match up but I can get the 2 Renogy for less than 1 Furrion panel.
    Yeah, those Furrion panels seem to be priced way above equivalent competitors.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was curious about this too. Did you happen to read in the manual for the Furrion controller that they are designed for panels wired in series only? Also mine says that if the panels produce more power than the controller is rated for (25 amps in my case), the controller will not be damaged because it somehow limits the incoming current. I wondered if that is true? So if I decided to replace the Furrion panel with one good 400 watt panel but not upgrade the controller at this point, it should be safe?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added 2 Renogy 200 watt panels to my 165w Furrion. I picked them because of the similar operating current between the Furrion and the Renogy, meaning that I would lose very little with them wired in series. I am using the factory Furrion 50a controller, meaning my system with the 3 panels has a max possible 563w. My field testing and usage looks pretty good compared to the theoretical design. When parked in direct sun and with about 10-15a of draw on the system I get a net positive 20-23a. Since my system should max out with theoretical 40amps (565w/14v=40a) I call 30-35a input a successful install.

I plan to expand the system by adding more panels and additional solar controllers but that will require some significant wiring upgrades and this bit of solar is more than enough to get us through for right now, especially since we also have a 40a DC to DC charger on the rig/truck and carry the generator if we're doing any significant boon docking.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive gooseneck conversion hitch
    630aH LiFePO4 Lion Energy battery bank, Victron Multi-Plus II Inverter, Victron MPPT, 563w solar array, CerboGX, 40a DC-DC charger

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WondersAwait View Post
    I added 2 Renogy 200 watt panels to my 165w Furrion. I picked them because of the similar operating current between the Furrion and the Renogy, meaning that I would lose very little with them wired in series. I am using the factory Furrion 50a controller, meaning my system with the 3 panels has a max possible 563w. My field testing and usage looks pretty good compared to the theoretical design. When parked in direct sun and with about 10-15a of draw on the system I get a net positive 20-23a. Since my system should max out with theoretical 40amps (565w/14v=40a) I call 30-35a input a successful install.

I plan to expand the system by adding more panels and additional solar controllers but that will require some significant wiring upgrades and this bit of solar is more than enough to get us through for right now, especially since we also have a 40a DC to DC charger on the rig/truck and carry the generator if we're doing any significant boon docking.
    How did you wire the Renogy panels with the Furrion? I understand that they have different connectors. I had thought to remove the Furrion and replace it with one larger panel thinking I couldn't wire them together in series due to the different connectors, but I would prefer to keep the Furrion since it is there and add a smaller additional panel if I can work out the connector situation. First time dealing with solar...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority of solar panels use MC4 connectors. I also didn't know there was another kind that the Furrion panel had come with until I was knee deep in this project. I read about some people changing out the wiring to the panel but I simply added an additional set of connectors. I bought an MC4 crimping kit for like $30, cut the wires after the Furrion connectors and then added my own MC4s to the line. Now with those on the lines I could very easily just add/remove panels in series as I wanted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220813_144556.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	44521

EDIT to clarify: those left connections on the roof flange are the original connectors that come with and to/from the Furrion panel. Jaboni connectors, maybe? The pair of connectors on the right are where I cut the lines and just added a male/female in line so that I could add the Renogy panels in series along with the Furrion panels. It's really simple and easy to do if you have any experience with wire crimping.
    Last edited by WondersAwait; 01-18-2023 at 10:59 AM.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive gooseneck conversion hitch
    630aH LiFePO4 Lion Energy battery bank, Victron Multi-Plus II Inverter, Victron MPPT, 563w solar array, CerboGX, 40a DC-DC charger

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grand Design sells adapter cables for this.

https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/83829

You can order through your dealer.

Appears they're Lippert part number 2021136520 but you'd have to call them and verify that. Can't find online.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WondersAwait View Post
    The majority of solar panels use MC4 connectors. I also didn't know there was another kind that the Furrion panel had come with until I was knee deep in this project. I read about some people changing out the wiring to the panel but I simply added an additional set of connectors. I bought an MC4 crimping kit for like $30, cut the wires after the Furrion connectors and then added my own MC4s to the line. Now with those on the lines I could very easily just add/remove panels in series as I wanted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220813_144556.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	44521

EDIT to clarify: those left connections on the roof flange are the original connectors that come with and to/from the Furrion panel. Jaboni connectors, maybe? The pair of connectors on the right are where I cut the lines and just added a male/female in line so that I could add the Renogy panels in series along with the Furrion panels. It's really simple and easy to do if you have any experience with wire crimping.
    Oh my gosh, super helpful, thank you. Yes, I do lots of crimping with sound systems and general 12v wiring so I should be able to handle this now that I know what I'm dealing with. Thanks again!
    Chad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast