User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ford XL vs GMC Pro Trim best bang for your buck

I will be upgrading to a 1 ton in the future and will probably go with the lowest trim. I've been going back and forth between GMC and Ford builds and it seems that GMC has more options with the Pro trim at a lesser price. For example, I must have power folding mirrors and you can't get that option until you go up to the Lariet trim with Ford. 18 inch wheels vs 17 inch with Ford. GMC allows you can upgrade to aluminum wheels for $300. Ford makes you pick a package that adds $4000 to the price. 5th wheel prep packages are different to. GMC gives you a spray in bed liner, Ford doesn't and there seems to be more safety options with GMC. The Pro trim has the hitch guidance and rear view camera as standard and the 2024 models will have the auto high beam as standard also. All this for a lesser price. However, you get more torque and horsepower with Ford and the 2023 payload numbers haven't been released. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by Maximus216; 01-19-2023 at 09:36 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ford interior is horrible, especially in XL trim. This coming from a Ram guy.

Sounds like you have done your homework and made up your mind. If you are set on purchasing I would place the order before things change for the worse.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree GMCs interior is nice.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a 2018 Superduty that has been a very good truck. With that said, I am not a Ford "guy". Gonna buy what I think is the best at the time. They all have issues.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    They all have issues.
    This…100%. Buy what you will enjoy driving.

I like the Fords as trucks but my Ram is no less capable and was much nicer to drive than a comparable SD so that’s where I ended up. Didn’t give GM much of a chance at the time but would the next time as they have come a ways as well.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2023 Ford and 2024 GMC 1 tons have much improved interior redesigns, if you can wait.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitexc View Post
    This…100%. Buy what you will enjoy driving.

I like the Fords as trucks but my Ram is no less capable and was much nicer to drive than a comparable SD so that’s where I ended up. Didn’t give GM much of a chance at the time but would the next time as they have come a ways as well.
    When I test drove the three in 2017, the ram was a better drive, GMC was terrible, and the ford was in the middle. The ford had more technology options and looked better so I went with ford. GMC revamp thier suspension system in 2020 but I haven't test drove one yet. The GMC is a good looking truck. I would like to find a double cab long bed to look at.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be upgrading to a 1 ton in the future and will probably go with the lowest trim. I've been going back and forth between GMC and Ford builds and it seems that GMC has more options with the Pro trim at a lesser price. For example, I must have power folding mirrors and you can't get that option until you go up to the Lariet trim with Ford. 18 inch wheels vs 17 inch with Ford. GMC allows you can upgrade to aluminum wheels for $300. Ford makes you pick a package that adds $4000 to the price. 5th wheel prep packages are different to. GMC gives you a spray in bed liner, Ford doesn't and there seems to be more safety options with GMC. The Pro trim has the hitch guidance and rear view camera as standard and the 2024 models will have the auto high beam as standard also. All this for a lesser price. However, you get more torque and horsepower with Ford and the 2023 payload numbers haven't been released. What are your thoughts?
    I love my new 2022 GMC Sierra HD3500 AT4 CC LB.....wouldn't trade it for any other truck out there. Period! I have friends with all the brands and still love it the most. Also. don't believe the higher power numbers always win the towing contests. The Duramax is no slacker and I believe their numbers are underrated rather than exaggerated as compared to some of the others. My new D-Max with the 10 speed would pull my 16K lb 40' Montana up the Eisenhower tunnel here in CO at 1800 RPM just as fast as you would like to go.

On the interior...I love mine too. I don't want the large Tesla screen in my truck nor all those touch screen options that require 10 screen clicks to turn things off and on. Keep it simple, basic and operational. My neighbor has the new Ford with the computer-controlled screen and nothing ever works on it. It's been back to the dealer more than it's been on the road. Ford finally told him to reboot the truck while driving to get the dash and instrument cluster to refresh when it would hang and shut off. No thanks.....my dash and gages work all the time!

I also love the ride and the handling of the truck. I was doing 92 MPH (by accident---Lol) back from Yellowstone last year and felt like I was sitting in my easy chair floating down the highway. Good luck with your decision. I custom ordered my truck with all the options that I wanted and it took 8.5 weeks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New truck side pica.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	44597
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    I love my new 2022 GMC Sierra HD3500 AT4 CC LB.....wouldn't trade it for any other truck out there. Period! I have friends with all the brands and still love it the most. Also. don't believe the higher power numbers always win the towing contests. The Duramax is no slacker and I believe their numbers are underrated rather than exaggerated as compared to some of the others. My new D-Max with the 10 speed would pull my 16K lb 40' Montana up the Eisenhower tunnel here in CO at 1800 RPM just as fast as you would like to go.

On the interior...I love mine too. I don't want the large Tesla screen in my truck nor all those touch screen options that require 10 screen clicks to turn things off and on. Keep it simple, basic and operational. My neighbor has the new Ford with the computer-controlled screen and nothing ever works on it. It's been back to the dealer more than it's been on the road. Ford finally told him to reboot the truck while driving to get the dash and instrument cluster to refresh when it would hang and shut off. No thanks.....my dash and gages work all the time!

I also love the ride and the handling of the truck. I was doing 92 MPH (by accident---Lol) back from Yellowstone last year and felt like I was sitting in my easy chair floating down the highway. Good luck with your decision. I custom ordered my truck with all the options that I wanted and it took 8.5 weeks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New truck side pica.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	44597
    When i go out west in the summers I see a lot more GMC's than the other brands. I agree that the computer screens are crazy big and are problematic. Android Auto is hit and miss. I actually when back to just using Bluetooth.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When i go out west in the summers I see a lot more GMC's than the other brands. I agree that the computer screens are crazy big and are problematic. Android Auto is hit and miss. I actually when back to just using Bluetooth.
    I'm trying to find a double cab to look at. The wheel base is about the same as a crew cab short bed. I like the doors on the double compared to the super cab on ford.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast