User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do I begin?

I've made so many mistakes in the last several weeks that I don't know where to start! The most expensive was that on the last day that I had to move my Solitude out of storage it ended up against a post and ruined the rear awning. Long story short - the ground I was parked on was not level and had even sunk a little after I parked it. I didn't recognize this, tried to pull away, and wound up stuck. With a lot of help, we built a ramp of sorts, a few inches at a time, to force the RV to tilt the other way (actually just to straighten up) and were finally able to pull away. Awaiting the replacement awning now. Lesson: Before pulling out of an enclosed space, take a look at EVERYTHING including tilt.

The next most expensive is cheap by comparison. I tried to put a valve on the shower head so that I could turn off the flow w/o affecting the water temperature. The valve was metal, the shower spigot is plastic. Ruined it. I'm trying a temporary fix today and then will need to replace it. Lesson: Plastic and metal rarely mix well.
    Gary & Debbie Johnson
    On the Road! since 01/13/2023
    2022 Solitude 345GK-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by debgary12 View Post
    The next most expensive is cheap by comparison. I tried to put a valve on the shower head so that I could turn off the flow w/o affecting the water temperature. The valve was metal, the shower spigot is plastic. Ruined it. I'm trying a temporary fix today and then will need to replace it. Lesson: Plastic and metal rarely mix well.
    Doesn't the shower already have a turn or push valve? I have not seen an RV shower without one. I am not sure what part was damaged but if it is the hose or head you may want to get something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I have never liked the stock shower heads so the 1st change I do
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can definitely sympathize with your pain on the awning after pulling our 5er out of a storage facility a few years ago. We also got to close and damaged our topper over the living room slide. Luckily just rubbed a few smal holes in it. Contacted Mr Vinyl in our area and they came out and repaired it like new! Amazing what those guys can do with some melted vinyl and a pattern swatch!

To help with centering our 5er in the whole now, we added some 2x4 inch orange reflectors (4 in all at mirror level) to the posts on either side of our bay on the posts front and back. It really helps out centering the 5er using the mirrors when backing in the hole. Especially after a long day of driving!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    Doesn't the shower already have a turn or push valve? I have not seen an RV shower without one. I am not sure what part was damaged but if it is the hose or head you may want to get something like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I have never liked the stock shower heads so the 1st change I do
    +1 on that exact shower head. When I click the link, get a window on that Amazon page telling me I purchased it on dd-mm-yyy; which was way back when I first got my camper. I've had that installed from basically day one, and have been very pleased. Install was simple, and yes, I have the on/off button.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    Doesn't the shower already have a turn or push valve?
    Nope. It's more like a residential shower. No off button on either the shower head or the spray hose. Great shower if I hadn't broken it! LOL
    Gary & Debbie Johnson
    On the Road! since 01/13/2023
    2022 Solitude 345GK-R

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by debgary12 View Post
    I've made so many mistakes in the last several weeks that I don't know where to start! The most expensive was that on the last day that I had to move my Solitude out of storage it ended up against a post and ruined the rear awning. Long story short - the ground I was parked on was not level and had even sunk a little after I parked it. I didn't recognize this, tried to pull away, and wound up stuck. With a lot of help, we built a ramp of sorts, a few inches at a time, to force the RV to tilt the other way (actually just to straighten up) and were finally able to pull away. Awaiting the replacement awning now. Lesson: Before pulling out of an enclosed space, take a look at EVERYTHING including tilt.

Definitely feel your pain, it's one thing when something on the coach breaks because it was designed poorly or installed improperly. But it really hurts when it's my fault due to operator error. Hope the fix is not too painful.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good lessons learned. Before I ever move the camper I do a full walk around truck and RV, look up top and down towards the bottom, an extra minute can save lots of time and money.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many years ago, when I first learned how to tow, it was pounded into my thick skull, to perform a full walk around, every time you leave the cab.

I do it when I hook up, after filing up, after taking a potty break, every time.

It was during a walk around at a test stop that I noticed my bedroom slide was sticking out at the bottom by about an inch on the front corner. I figured out that all the stuff the wife wanted to keep under the bed finally broke the casters that the frame rested on and skewed the slide. We emptied under the bed, made the rest of the trip to the KOA we were going to over night at, then I set about reinforcing the bed frame.

One trip to TSC for the aluminum angle iron and self tapping screws, and about 1 hour of work and the bed was sitting at the correct height. I put in 4 self tapping screws in the outside frame where it pulled away from the coach and we were good until we got to our 2 month site. There, I rebuilt the frame, used the aluminum angle and flat bar stock to reinforce the frame so the casters wouldn't pull out of the wood. Loaded about 1/2 the stuff back under the bed and put the rest under the sofa bed and in the basement.

So, my rule is to perform a walk around every time I get out of the cab. It also saved me with a tire that was going flat on a horse trailer, loaded with horses. That would have sucked if it blew on the road.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel