User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof rain gutters leaking and bowed down at butt joints

I have a 2023 22 mle - the rain gutters on either side are leaking at the butt end joints. These were not chalked properly. But also the gutter is bowed down at the joint and even with sealing the joints the water still pools and runs anti the awning, then the water pools on the awning from the weight of the water.
    I tried to build up the outer edge approx 1/4” but this still is not addressing the issue. Now I am thinking I will need to remove and level the gutter.
    My question:
    How are the rain gutters attached? Are they just glued on? And what could I use to re-secure to the rv? Would I be able to remove and reinstall to level the rain gutters so the water will flow to the front drain spouts?

Thank you for your ideas in advance.
    Larry
    2023 22 MLE
    Tow vehicle 2022 Tundra Platium Hybrid

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures might help to visualize your problem.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LL overlander View Post
    I have a 2023 22 mle - the rain gutters on either side are leaking at the butt end joints. These were not chalked properly. But also the gutter is bowed down at the joint and even with sealing the joints the water still pools and runs anti the awning, then the water pools on the awning from the weight of the water.
    I tried to build up the outer edge approx 1/4” but this still is not addressing the issue. Now I am thinking I will need to remove and level the gutter.
    My question:
    How are the rain gutters attached? Are they just glued on? And what could I use to re-secure to the rv? Would I be able to remove and reinstall to level the rain gutters so the water will flow to the front drain spouts?

Larry
    I agree with soundsailer that images might help. Butt joints on rain gutters not sealed is a common complaint. The gutter is held on with screws then sealed along the roof line and the gutter. The gutter also holds the edge of the roof material down. You really don’t want to remove the gutter unless you have a good reason to do so. There are a lot of YouTubes showing rv roof replacement and show how the gutters are secured. I recommend you watch the videos before removing the gutters. I assume the trailer is under warranty, is this something you need to take to a dealer?
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not want to start on disassembly until I knew what I was getting into. So thank you for explaining how the rain gutters are attached.

This is more than I want to tackle on my own, as the rv is covered by 1st year warranty. I will now be contacting the dealership to book a repair date.
    2023 22 MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If under warranty, I'd go that route first and see where it goes.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LL overlander View Post
    My question:

Larry
    I caulked one of the seams on my gutters due to a leak. it doesn't take much - I used silicone.

I also had a case of a misformed gutter. Can't remember if it was bowed down or pushed in or out; or if was even where the leak was. I went on the roof and sort of re-formed it. It's pretty light weight aluminum. As best as I can remember it wasn't leaking due to it being misformed but it wasn't catching roof drain off.

Is if yours is not bowed down too much you may be able to adjust this yourself and then caulk it to prevent leaks.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked with GD, they advised taking it to dealer for repair under warranty.
    2023 22 MLE