User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insurance Rate Increase

Just received our RV insurance policy renewal with Geico. It increased 25% this year. We have had no claims. Called Geico and was informed it went up because we live in Tennessee and the large number of claims. Wondering if others out there are seeing large increases? Called Progressive and they are a little cheaper but offer a better policy so will probably switch.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    2021 GMC Denali 3500HD Standard Bed
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    Just received our RV insurance policy renewal with Geico. It increased 25% this year. We have had no claims. Called Geico and was informed it went up because we live in Tennessee and the large number of claims. Wondering if others out there are seeing large increases? Called Progressive and they are a little cheaper but offer a better policy so will probably switch.
    Not where I am, but I can confirm we have heard this from friends with homebase/registration in Florida. They never had a single claim in 33 years with one camper or the other, same insurer, renewal went up 22.7% and the reason was because of all of the claims and being registered in Florida.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of our insurance went up by 20 some %. House, auto, TT, ATV, boat..... For the house, they are saying that the cost of rebuilding has greatly increase. We have never made any claim other then a small fender bender which was covered by the other driver as it was their fault.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - same for folks domiciled in Texas.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coupled with increased rates, what is really disconcerting is the replacement cost of trailers. I bought my current 5th wheel 3 1/2 years ago. I insured it for the purchase price at the time. By rough calculations it would cost me about 40% more to buy the same trailer should mine be totaled today. My trailer is in excellent condition but I doubt I would be reimbursed very much, especially if the used market continues to drop.

Some insurance companies may offer "replacement cost". Mine does not.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Coupled with increased rates, what is really disconcerting is the replacement cost of trailers. I bought my current 5th wheel 3 1/2 years ago. I insured it for the purchase price at the time. By rough calculations it would cost me about 40% more to buy the same trailer should mine be totaled today. My trailer is in excellent condition but I doubt I would be reimbursed very much, especially if the used market continues to drop.

Some insurance companies may offer "replacement cost". Mine does not.
    Yeah, very hard to find an insurer who will do so for Recreational Vehicles that are campers and even rarer for an agreed upon value. I looked into it for similar reasons as you where the pandemic drove up costs, and to get either type of policy was outrageous! I'm talking more than triple what I pay for agreed value, collectively, on my 3 restomods and 1 classic! Just shows the risk profile that the insurers view campers as...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Yeah, very hard to find an insurer who will do so for Recreational Vehicles that are campers and even rarer for an agreed upon value. I looked into it for similar reasons as you where the pandemic drove up costs, and to get either type of policy was outrageous! I'm talking more than triple what I pay for agreed value, collectively, on my 3 restomods and 1 classic! Just shows the risk profile that the insurers view campers as...

Years ago, when trailers were much less expensive, I would drop coverage after the trailer was 6-7 years old. Fortunately I never had an issue. Difficult to do that at today's replacement costs.
    Last edited by dryfly; 01-20-2023 at 05:04 PM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing you can do if you have Progressive and the vanishing deductible, is to raise your deductible if it has vanished. Will lower your premium but still keep the deductible at zero unless you select too high of a number and the calculation doesn't go to zero. But that might be OK too if the deductible is at or lower than what you want. I just did this and saved I think around $75/year. I did take some of that savings and bought the roof protection plan for $25.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Sam insurance has been very good to us. FYI
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just received a quote for insurance on our new 315RLTS. It is quite a bit more than the premium on the Foretravel, but then we don't have some of the coverages on the Foretravel as we will on the Reflection. Part of that is due to the fact that it is 3X the price and part is due to having to have some coverage due to financing the trailer.

The quote is from Progressive, which is the same company the Foretravel is insured with, so to a certain extent I'm comparing apples and apples. We'll see what happens next year when we renew.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast