User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Plugged toilet - another tool in the arsenal...

I'm usually all over using more than enough water in the tank, doing rigorous flushes, etc. But a "poo pyramid" got me a couple of days ago. Not dried on, just piled too high. I blame too many solids and staying in place a long time, so sloshing didn't "mix" it well. Toilet clogged, but would still allow a slower than normal flow of liquids. No solids would go down, and only served to block things more. Lots of back flushing did not resolve. Water flowed normally out of the sewer pipe from the black flush. Lots of very hot water down the toilet helped, but did not completely clear it. Still could see a build up of paper and "stuff" at the bottom of the hole, with a flashlight.

Of course I no longer had my cleanout wand that hooks to a hose, to spray a jet of water. And the nearest Camping World was a very long drive away. The other camper was not going to wait a few days for Amazon.

A trip to Home Depot resulted in this tool for dryer vent cleaning: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Brush big enough to "scrub" the pipe, yet soft enough that it will never damage anything. Extensions to easily extend all the way to the bottom of the tank from the toilet. Flexible, but not too flexible, like a conventional snake would be. Spinning by hand easily broke everything up so the black flush could get rid of it. It is surprising how shallow the tank is below the toilet inlet! Stows easily in my "black water" bin along with the extra sewer extension, various caps and clear fittings, etc.
    Only downside is the warning to only spin it clockwise, or the extensions and/or head could unscrew themselves and end up loose in the tank (!)
    Haven't tried it with a drill. Maybe if I really need to generate some waves, like an egg beater, to super break things up...but I'd rather not.....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    I'm usually all over using more than enough water in the tank, doing rigorous flushes, etc. But a "poo pyramid" got me a couple of days ago. Not dried on, just piled too high. I blame too many solids and staying in place a long time, so sloshing didn't "mix" it well. Toilet clogged, but would still allow a slower than normal flow of liquids. No solids would go down, and only served to block things more. Lots of back flushing did not resolve. Water flowed normally out of the sewer pipe from the black flush. Lots of very hot water down the toilet helped, but did not completely clear it. Still could see a build up of paper and "stuff" at the bottom of the hole, with a flashlight.

Of course I no longer had my cleanout wand that hooks to a hose, to spray a jet of water. And the nearest Camping World was a very long drive away. The other camper was not going to wait a few days for Amazon.

A trip to Home Depot resulted in this tool for dryer vent cleaning: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Brush big enough to "scrub" the pipe, yet soft enough that it will never damage anything. Extensions to easily extend all the way to the bottom of the tank from the toilet. Flexible, but not too flexible, like a conventional snake would be. Spinning by hand easily broke everything up so the black flush could get rid of it. It is surprising how shallow the tank is below the toilet inlet! Stows easily in my "black water" bin along with the extra sewer extension, various caps and clear fittings, etc.
    Only downside is the warning to only spin it clockwise, or the extensions and/or head could unscrew themselves and end up loose in the tank (!)
    Haven't tried it with a drill. Maybe if I really need to generate some waves, like an egg beater, to super break things up...but I'd rather not.....
    Thanks for sharing this, hope I never have to try it myself.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Thanks for sharing this, hope I never have to try it myself.
    Ditto on that. Kind of afraid of what it looked like when it came out. Maybe a trash bag to contain on the way out to clean it.

This is an awesome idea!! Thanks for sharing.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mine came out without anything accumulated on it. But I did trash bag it carefully. Since it was visually clean appearing, I sprayed it off using the hot water from the outside spray port. Then left it to completely dry in the sun. Sprayed it with bleach water, and put it away.

If it was not so clean looking, would probably use a bucket of soapy hot water, outside, to spin it clean.

But yes, hope to never need it again. That's what happened to the sprayer - it had been so many years I ditched it, in a decluttering of all the stuff in the RV.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea. I tried to order one but Home Depot does not show a home delivery space. They want me to pick it up in Houston, TX and I live in Colorado. Stupid software writers.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    Great idea. I tried to order one but Home Depot does not show a home delivery space. They want me to pick it up in Houston, TX and I live in Colorado. Stupid software writers.
    That's strange, I have one on the way via free home delivery from HD as we speak.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to get home delivery but, once again, could not find any place to put in my address. Have no idea what I am doing wrong. Home Depot still wants me to pick this up in Texas.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    I tried to get home delivery but, once again, could not find any place to put in my address. Have no idea what I am doing wrong. Home Depot still wants me to pick this up in Texas.
    Near the upper left corner of the Home Depot home page is a logo with “You’re Shopping” in it and next to that is “Delivering To”. If you make sure they show your local city and Zip Code it might make a difference.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Camco 39085 Rhino Blaster Pro... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T36LJF2...p_mob_ap_share

This item is a must have