User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop rear fuel tank to secure Biker Bar - 351M

How difficult is it to drop the rear fuel tank on a 351M? i need to get under there, open up the underbelly liner and secure the mounting brackets. Looks to me like there is no way to get under there in the right place without dropping the tank.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess my question is, "Is it worth it?". That would be a pretty big job just to allow you an easier way to secure the bike. Personally, considering the job involved, I would work with something like a Condor chock and a couple of tie down straps. That's what I use and have nothing permanently mounted to the floor, and nothing to stumble over when the rug is down.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRedmond View Post
    How difficult is it to drop the rear fuel tank on a 351M? i need to get under there, open up the underbelly liner and secure the mounting brackets. Looks to me like there is no way to get under there in the right place without dropping the tank.
    Have you thought about using a 5/16" or 3/8" toggle bolt instead of dropping the tank........or whatever size bolt you need to secure it? You might want to check for sure, but on my Momentum 394, that floor plywood is 1" thick. That should be pretty substantial
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I guess my question is, "Is it worth it?". That would be a pretty big job just to allow you an easier way to secure the bike. Personally, considering the job involved, I would work with something like a Condor chock and a couple of tie down straps. That's what I use and have nothing permanently mounted to the floor, and nothing to stumble over when the rug is down.
    Don't mind the work... Condor is my second preference. One of those engineer types that wants things done right. Condor would require the bike (FLHTK) to be in the middle or left side of the garage. Weight balance on my 351M-R is already 500# heavier on the left side with residential frig and the biker bar would let me put it on the right side and still open the living area/garage door.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Have you thought about using a 5/16" or 3/8" toggle bolt instead of dropping the tank........or whatever size bolt you need to secure it? You might want to check for sure, but on my Momentum 394, that floor plywood is 1" thick. That should be pretty substantial
    Biker bar has a mounting plate underneath that it bolts into, 2 bolts. Quick removal and the device is much smaller than a traditional chock.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biker bar has a mounting plate underneath that it bolts into, 2 bolts. Quick removal and the device is much smaller than a traditional chock.
    I just looked at the Biker Bar installation instructions......disregard my suggestion about the toggles....I see how it is installed now.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't mind the work... Condor is my second preference. One of those engineer types that wants things done right. Condor would require the bike (FLHTK) to be in the middle or left side of the garage. Weight balance on my 351M-R is already 500# heavier on the left side with residential frig and the biker bar would let me put it on the right side and still open the living area/garage door.
    I'm not sure why you feel you'd have to put the bike in the middle if using a Condor chock. I put my Interceptor on the left side of the garage since the Spyder is so wide. No reason you can't put the Condor chock where ever you want it.
    Howard and Peggy

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I'm not sure why you feel you'd have to put the bike in the middle if using a Condor chock. I put my Interceptor on the left side of the garage since the Spyder is so wide. No reason you can't put the Condor chock where ever you want it.
    If I put it on the right side, the lateral arms on the Condor only let me open the interior door about 12". Biker Bar lets me clear the door swing with the front wheel/tire.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I still don't understand. What "lateral arms" are you referring to? Are you referring to the "wings" that guide the front tire into place? With the Spyder in the garage there's no room to open the door into the garage for us. The 351 does have a pretty short garage, which works great for us but it's an issue with the long SxS UTV's.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... require the bike (FLHTK) to be in the middle ..
    What kind of bike is that?
    signature

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast