Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery draw

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery draw

I have a battery draw when not plugged in to shore power , and with nothing on in the trailer. On my life blue battery app, it shows that I am losing 8 to 9% A-day off my 100 amp lifepo4 battery. I put a DC clamp meter on my positive line off my battery and I'm drawing 500 milli amps. It shows no loss when I have my disconnect switch off. I traced most of the draw to my 15 amp radio/heater fuse. I disabled the radio, and am experiencing a 7% draw a day from the heater still connected. I have a Grand Imagine 22rbe XLS. This can't be a normal drawdown is it for boondocking with nothing on? What should be a normal Milliamp draw, with nothing on in trailer?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your propane sensor is the most likely culprit. They are often wired even before the cutoff for safety!

Fridge electronics, thermostats, TV standby power and other minor draws can add up. A 1/2 amp constant draw seems quite reasonable for that trailer.

Welcome to the forum, and I suspect RVing. Lots to learn and this is a great place to ask and read old posts.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
    I have a battery draw when not plugged in to shore power , and with nothing on in the trailer. On my life blue battery app, it shows that I am losing 8 to 9% A-day off my 100 amp lifepo4 battery. I put a DC clamp meter on my positive line off my battery and I'm drawing 500 milli amps. It shows no loss when I have my disconnect switch off. I traced most of the draw to my 15 amp radio/heater fuse. I disabled the radio, and am experiencing a 7% draw a day from the heater still connected. I have a Grand Imagine 22rbe XLS. This can't be a normal drawdown is it for boondocking with nothing on? What should be a normal Milliamp draw, with nothing on in trailer?
    500 milli-amps is 1 amp every two hours. That's 12 amps per day. On a 100AH battery it would be completely drained in a little over 8 days....give or take.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies, with the one radio/heater 15 amp fuse out, only 1-2% a day. Maybe there is something else on that circuit I haven't found. Maybe the heater thermastat is bad? I plan to do a 400watt solar install this spring, should help.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
    Thanks for the replies, with the one radio/heater 15 amp fuse out, only 1-2% a day. Maybe there is something else on that circuit I haven't found. Maybe the heater thermastat is bad? I plan to do a 400watt solar install this spring, should help.
    Likely the propane detector doing that.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem. Except it was a lead acid house battery while the unit was in storage. The CO2/Propane detector was the culprit for me. I put in a second battery cutoff switch next to the battery that disconnects everything. The thermostat, fridge- as gas/electric even has a small DC mA draw in gas mode, the control and monitoring system draws DC power. So your being "being nickeled and dimed" by a bunch of items drawing small current which adds up over time.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called the Grand Design factory in Middlebury, In. yesterday and talked to the Tech depth, they said for that trailer that 500mil-amp contant draw was an acceptable number, with everything on standby, guess I'll have to live with it. I had a 2007 trailer before this one with two 6 volt batteries, running the fridge, lights, etc, would last a week.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it is time to disconnect the negative battery lead from your battery so NOTHING is connected.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Sounds like it is time to disconnect the negative battery lead from your battery so NOTHING is connected.
    Or install a true battery disconnect switch where the Pos. lead comes off of the battery!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Or install a true battery disconnect switch where the Pos. lead comes off of the battery!
    I'm sure you guys know, but these leave the possibility of towing with the battery disconnected and therefore the brakes disconnected in a breakaway! I believe that's illegal in 50 states.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast