User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carry my kayak options

I keep running into dead-ends on optional ways to carry my kayak. I know I have to carry it on my truck, but need to buy or fabricate a rack. I looked at a couple of "bed" mounted over-the-cab racks like US Rack but, I have a 6' bed so I don't have the luxury of space on the bed corners for turning reasons. I have fabricated a reciever on the front and was going to build an arm straight up to hold the front of the kayak, but for the bed....well, I have thoughts.
    Has anyone that carries a kayak with a 5'r have a good roof rack that they use?
    Thanks
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked into Yakups? They are meant to be mounted on the rear of the RV, so it would depend if you have a receiver on your RV (I would recommend one attached to the frame, not the bumper).

Yakups are customizable and can carry bikes or kayaks. They seem to have good reviews, I haven't used one myself.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the 4th Gen RAMs, all the roof racks of appropriate strength will require you to drill and install nutserts. Even at that, capacity isn't stellar (just look at limits on them for bikes). My suggestion would be to fabricate a rack with legs that come down and mount at the frame - think where step bars mount. A hoop, if you will, around the rear of the cab. If you then have a something coming up from that front receiver that's "T" shaped, you can then interconnect that with the rear hoop with some rails held by removable pins. Mount crossbars to those side then your ordinary kayak racks. Some quality stainless tube can do this easily at low weight but an investment to fabricate...
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple years ago we saw a Reflection that had 2 kayaks mounted UNDER the rig, in front of the axles. I don’t remember the details but whatever he did worked for him.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this will help you, but we bought two Intex inflatable kayaks and we store them in a compartment. They inflate quickly and work well. Space is a real premium so it’s nice to have the inflatables. The Challenger K1 is like $95 at Walmart

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I keep running into dead-ends on optional ways to carry my kayak. I know I have to carry it on my truck, but need to buy or fabricate a rack. I looked at a couple of "bed" mounted over-the-cab racks like US Rack but, I have a 6' bed so I don't have the luxury of space on the bed corners for turning reasons. I have fabricated a reciever on the front and was going to build an arm straight up to hold the front of the kayak, but for the bed....well, I have thoughts.
    Thanks
    I've gone through the same process. There just isn't much room to carry a truck roof mounted kayak with a 5th wheel unless you go the front receiver route and the "hoop" suggested by geotex1. Even then, unless you have a short whitewater type kayak, it's going to be sticking out over the front by a fair amount. The Yakups look interesting except for the price. We decided not to spend our money on expensive fixes that wind up hanging stuff all over the truck or RV to catch wind, dirt, etc. Also, we've gotten to the point where we don't want to be wrestling a heavy kayak onto the roof of the truck or anywhere else for that matter.

We purchased a high quality inflatable kayak instead. We got the SeaEagle 385FT Fasttrack and we love it. It's easy to setup and inflate; it's easy to pack; it's easy to paddle; and it tracks almost as well as my hardshell touring kayak. We don't notice the difference regarding tracking and it's fast. It fits two people easily with extra room for gear. (You can get the next size up, the 485FT, if you want to carry 3 people or two smallish kids, or a big dog, or expedition gear.) Best of all, it folds up to a bundle about 40" x 16" by 16" and only weights 35 lbs. It's pricey - about $1,000 with kayak, carbon paddles, pump, high end seats, pack, etc. However, I would have spent at least that much on solutions to carry the hardshell, not to mention the hassle, and now I have another boat instead of a bunch of crap and weight attached to our truck or RV.

Remember, the ideal number of boats can be determined mathematically. It's a formula - ideal # of boats = N + 1, where N is the number of boats you currently own.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sea Eagle inflatables.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    Thanks
    Used a Yakima system on my short bed and the same on my long bed.

Longest is 11 ft. I do have a receiver hitch on the front of the 2011 RAM, but we use it for a bike rack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kayaks.jpg   kayaks2.jpg  
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I might not have added enough content to my initial message which led to a variety of replies so, allow me to add a few things.

I bought a 12' kayak to take to fish in. The inflatables some suggested where great ideas, but, I have this kayak and want to take it (IF) possible.

Under the camper.....I actually considered that but didn't want people to think I was crazy.

Again thanks to everyone for all the replies.....I think you all are awesome.

Ray

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmm......I actually considered this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast